M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just yesterday went for a ride on the 9 and everything was fine. Today I have a problem. Here is what happens: Bike is in Neutral as usual, turn the key to on position, flip the kill switch to on position....I get nothing. No lights no sound nothing. One note: After trying it for 5 min or so, I did get it the lights and the regular power up procedure to start, but once I hit the starter it just went dead.

Please someone help me diagnose this problem :dontknow:

G

·
Just sounds like a dead battery to me.:dontknow: How old is the bike/battery? You could try hooking it up to a battery tender and letting it charge for a while.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Just yesterday went for a ride on the 9 and everything was fine. Today I have a problem. Here is what happens: Bike is in Neutral as usual, turn the key to on position, flip the kill switch to on position....I get nothing. No lights no sound nothing. One note: After trying it for 5 min or so, I did get it the lights and the regular power up procedure to start, but once I hit the starter it just went dead.

Please someone help me diagnose this problem :dontknow:
As Dv0042 said, it is more then likely a dead battery. The batteries can be perfect one day, and dead the next with no warning. Jump it using your car battery. DO NOT have your car running as that could fry the computer on the bike. Just leave the car off, and put the cables on and I bet you it will fire right up. :bigthumbsup:

Also, follow the battery ground down to the frame and make sure it is tight. It is on the right side right behind the rear jug. Check all cable connections to the battery as well.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
or loose battery wire, sounds like to me. Or ground

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just sounds like a dead battery to me.:dontknow: How old is the bike/battery? You could try hooking it up to a battery tender and letting it charge for a while.
The bike is an '06. I changed the battery once, but the current one is probably 3+ years old.

G

·
The bike is an '06. I changed the battery once, but the current one is probably 3+ years old.
Try jumping it, as Bigpapa suggested. If she turns right over, then it's unlikely that anything else is wrong...just new battery time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try jumping it, as Bigpapa suggested. If she turns right over, then it's unlikely that anything else is wrong...just new battery time.
Will do. No lunch for me today...going straight home to jump it. Probably couldn't eat anyway...worrying about the beast

Thanks guys!!!

I will report back

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
3+ years old.
If it turns out to be the battery, I would strongly recommend the Odyssey battery. I got both of ours from Gman Industries (mine and wife's 109). He had it to me in 2 days, and that was from Seattle to Maryland. It has double the cranking power and is an awesome battery.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it turns out to be the battery, I would strongly recommend the Odyssey battery. I got both of ours from Gman Industries (mine and wife's 109). He had it to me in 2 days, and that was from Seattle to Maryland. It has double the cranking power and is an awesome battery.
Great!!!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Actually it can very well still be a battery connection. Check the gorund at the engine. Just because it may not be lose does not mean you to do not have a good ground. Try taking the bolt lose that holds the ground cable to the engine and clean a bit with a wire brush---before you spend the money on a battery---nothing to lose there. I have seen this happen more than it should. Could save you some money.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually it can very well still be a battery connection. Check the gorund at the engine. Just because it may not be lose does not mean you to do not have a good ground. Try taking the bolt lose that holds the ground cable to the engine and clean a bit with a wire brush---before you spend the money on a battery---nothing to lose there. I have seen this happen more than it should. Could save you some money.
Thanks!!

I will do that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As Dv0042 said, it is more then likely a dead battery. The batteries can be perfect one day, and dead the next with no warning. Jump it using your car battery. DO NOT have your car running as that could fry the computer on the bike. Just leave the car off, and put the cables on and I bet you it will fire right up. :bigthumbsup:

Also, follow the battery ground down to the frame and make sure it is tight. It is on the right side right behind the rear jug. Check all cable connections to the battery as well.
:hot::hot::hot:You were right... fired right up when I connected to car battery. As soon as I disconnected battery cable... bike shut off.
I'll be ordering an Oddessy battery within the hour.
In the past when my battery was low at least I got some lights...that's why it seemed weird this time. Anyway...

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What is the style number for that battery??

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
What is the style number for that battery??
here is the page....

Now, you can buy that battery anywhere. The problem is that it is a very tight fit in the compartment and you have to shave some of the plastic around the battery. NO big deal at all. However, for a few dollars more, it is already done by Gman and you can just throw it in and be done.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
:hot::hot::hot:You were right... fired right up when I connected to car battery. As soon as I disconnected battery cable... bike shut off.
I'll be ordering an Oddessy battery within the hour.
In the past when my battery was low at least I got some lights...that's why it seemed weird this time. Anyway...

Thanks a bunch!
Glad to hear :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Glad to hear :bigthumbsup:
Just a thought but if he jump started from a car and then when he disconnected the booster battery IE the car, the bike stopped, doesn't that mean he is not charging at all.My thought is even if the battery is totally flat the bike should be generating the power to keep the bike running after the booster battery is disconnected.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Just a thought but if he jump started from a car and then when he disconnected the booster battery IE the car, the bike stopped, doesn't that mean he is not charging at all.My thought is even if the battery is totally flat the bike should be generating the power to keep the bike running after the booster battery is disconnected.
Could be. but very unlikely. The bike requires a certain amount of voltage to run. When you jump it, you are pulling the 12v off the car battery. As soon as you unhook the cables, even though the bike is charging, it isn't charging enough to bring up the battery voltage level to what it needs to keep the electronics running. Because of this, the bike will not stay running.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts