Do You

• Sometimes/never wear a helmet and do not own a hand gun

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I don't intend for this to be a debate about gun ownership. I was in a bike shop the other day and there were some BMW owners who were dressed like the safety police (fabric riding suits and full face helmets) in 90+ degree weather and some how the topics of owning a hand gun came up. All of the BMW riders were against it. Then from reading some posts here on the forum it looks like we have quite a few gun owners. I was wondering if there is any correlation between riders who always wear safety equipment and gun ownership. We have a very diverse group of members coming from different lifestyles,  experiences, and locations over the globe. I figured this would be the best place to satisfy my curiosity.
Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
I always wear a helmet for the same reason I carry a handgun.

Personal protection.

Remember, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Always wear my helmet.

Currently do not own a hand gun, but am not against it whatsoever.

Probably will own one in the future.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Do not wear a helmet if all I am doing is cruising downtown.  ::)  Always wear a helmet if it involves hitting the highway.  :D

Always packing regardless of what I'm doing.  :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
890 Posts
COZ375 said:
I always wear a helmet for the same reason I carry a handgun.

Personal protection.

Remember, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Like my grandma would say.."I didn't get to be this old by being a fool" ;)
While it's not something I ever what to have to do (shoot someone)... I'm definitely not going to be a victim. Its so remote out here in New Mexico that you can ride for long stretches at a time and not see anyone, for that reason it pays to be prepaired as well.

Ride Safe...Ride Far

Devilish

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
frankie a. said:
Been into guns and bikes most of my life . . . :bigthumbsup:
And both of these hobbys/habits can get a bit expensive :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I'll be able to carry again when the weather cools and I can wear my shoulder rig under a jacket .......... I don't have a holster that I can conceal on a bike with just a t-shirt/jeans on ;) ............. have been thinking about where to mount a holster on the bike though :joke: :duck:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bonehead said:
I'll be able to carry again when the weather cools and I can wear my shoulder rig under a jacket .......... I don't have a holster that I can conceal on a bike with just a t-shirt/jeans on ;) ............. have been thinking about where to mount a holster on the bike though :joke: :duck:
I've seen some leather vests with built in holsters as well as some fanny packs. My father has a fanny packs that conceals his Kahr Elite very nicely.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
your sample won't be large enough, and it'll be biased. most of the US (population-wise) is required to wear a helmet whether they want to or not.

anyway, i own a handgun (Glock Model 22, .40 S&W), but hardly ever carry. no place is 100% safe from bad situations that would require a gun to defend one's self, but there are places that are more dangerous than others. i'm hardly ever in a place where i feel i need extra protection. exceptions are travelling/camping in unknown areas, and that's mainly due to unfamiliarity, not that i assume any place is dangerous.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well I use to ride a BMW up until last week...traded it in on the 109.   Anyway if I'm gonna be riding in heavy traffic or on a long road trip I wear an armoured jacket (mesh in summer and textile in winter) and I always wear a full face helmet...saved my face and teeth back in the early '80s when I rode my sport bike off a curve and did a face plant.   ::)  Now I just can't get into the Beemer guy mentality of wearing an Aerostitch or full body armour all the time...it's just too freakin HOT in the South to wear it in my opinion.  Anyway, living in the South...I'm also usually carrying a handgun as well....just in case you know.  :D 

Now this brings us to a whole new ball of wax in that I can now open this thread up to my fellow handgun carriers on the how and the best rig to carry while riding???  I usually carry in an ankle holster or in a jacket pocket.  So how do you guys carry??  Inquiring minds want to know theses things.   :pop:

Fogot to mention I carry either an auto .380 with hollowpoints or a snub nose .357..both are fairly light to carry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Helmet always while riding :D :D :D have owned firearms since 1981..... CWC all the way
You have the right and responsibility to protect yourself and loved ones to the best of your abilities

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
PhreakShow said:
I've seen some leather vests with built in holsters as well as some fanny packs. My father has a fanny packs that conceals his Kahr Elite very nicely.
The problem with those style holsters is that all I own at this time is 5" all steel 1911s thay can ce a bit on the heavy side (38-40oz empty) and really test the holsters design because of it :bigthumbsup: .................. I do need to get something smaller and easier to hide , but all my money is going into the 109 right now :redfaced: .

·
Registered
443 Posts
I too, have been involved with bikes and guns most of my life. I'm an avid hunter and enjoy most shooting sports. That is one of the things we enjoy in the USA, is the right to bear arms! We should do all we can to keep that right.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Waltert said:
I usually carry in an ankle holster or in a jacket pocket. So how do you guys carry?? Inquiring minds want to know theses things. :pop:
You're going to love this. In Ohio we are required to carry "in plain sight" in or "on" a motor vehicle. So............................... when riding a motorcycle my compact .45 is cocked and locked and in plain sight on my waist for all to see! When I get off the bike I pull my mesh jacket over it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
COZ375 said:
You're going to love this. In Ohio we are required to carry "in plain sight" in or "on" a motor vehicle. So............................... when riding a motorcycle my compact .45 is cocked and locked and in plain sight on my waist for all to see!  When I get off the bike I pull my mesh jacket over it.
:eek: I bet nobody cuts you off in traffic! :a18:

1 - 20 of 256 Posts