M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the market for a new helmet. Currently I have a HJC c12 which is about 8 to 10 years old. It is a full face and that is what I want to stick with. Anyone have any suggestions? The main things I am looking for is something that is quit, very quit and will not try to rip my head off at highway speeds. My current helmet is a XXXL and the problem I am having is that no dealerships around here carry anything that size so I am not able to try them out.

Almost forgot. Price. Maybe $200 to $300 Range?

Any suggestions? What do you guys like or dislike?

Thanks for the help.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
I would go with a modular helmet. It gives you much more flexibility vs a full face. If money is not a problem, get a Shoie. I hear they make great helmets. I like my Scorpion EXO 600. But the main thing would be to try them on as they all fit differently.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My HJC AC-12 works just fine, but I think that I would like to have a modular helmet. I would find one that you really like, even if it costs a bit more.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would go with a modular helmet. It gives you much more flexibility vs a full face. If money is not a problem, get a Shoie. I hear they make great helmets. I like my Scorpion EXO 600. But the main thing would be to try them on as they all fit differently.
That is the main problem. No one carries a xxxl for me to try on. They all carry up to xxl and those are just to tight. they all want 1/2 $ down to order it and if I do not like it I am out the cash. Why do you say go with Modular? I have been told they are not very quit.???

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ive got 2 HJC helmets. one is a mosular and one is not. I like the modular because I can get my head in and out easier and its easy to lift the front to talk or take a drink.
Im looking at the Scorpion EXO 900 - can be a modular or 1/2 and has sun visor integrated into the helmet for either full or 1/2.

You have to try different ones on to see how they fit but I really like the EXO 900.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Check out the Nolan N43 Trilogy. It has a huge visor with great visibility that feels almost like an open face helmet, but is rated for full face protection. It also has a removable chin guard so it can be converted to open face. I own one in addition to a modular helmet and the N43 is quieter and lighter.

·
Banned
108 Posts
You can get a ME TOO helmet like a shoei, hjc, or any of those

ALL MADE ON PRODUCTION LINES

OR, you can get an ARAI
My faovorite is the ARAI RX7 CORSAIR

Arai are hand made and go through many hands and many tests before ever being let go from the factory

best helmet PERIOD
And ive owned over 50 different helmets

they are 475 new..... But hey, its only your head :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just picked up a Shoei RF-1100. Shoei is a top quality helmet and the RF series has always rated at or near the top for quietness. I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger and I can say that I am very pleased with my decision. The Shoei is wind tunnel tested and has vents that are easy to open with gloves on and here's a novel idea - they actually work. It has cutout's inside for earphones and the liner is completely removable for washing. I've had them all as well as the poster above. The Arai is a great helmet but it all comes down to fit - which one fits best so you will wear it. This is one area I wouldn't $kimp on.

One place to get a lot of helpful info is youtube. This is one of the video's that helped me decide:

They also have a great video on proper helmet fitting:

This video answered a lot of my questions and explained why all my past helmets never fit as well as I would have liked.

I can't speak for other brands but with Shoei, their size chart runs absolutely true. So if you can't try one on in person I'd be pretty confident going with the chart.

As far as price, a solid color RF can be found for ~$300 and some of the designs for $350 to $450. Also, you can still find leftover RF-1000's which are also great helmets. They fit a more rounded head and should be a bit lighter on the wallet.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
That is the main problem. No one carries a xxxl for me to try on. They all carry up to xxl and those are just to tight. they all want 1/2 $ down to order it and if I do not like it I am out the cash. Why do you say go with Modular? I have been told they are not very quit.???
Well HELLO!! by Giagantic headed friend!! :bigthumbsup: As a fellow XXXL'er I have looked high and low and have found some good deals. I was running an old HJC for a while but picked up a Scorpian Exo-400 for an AMAZING deal. Just checked out the website and still have some great deals... not as good as the one I got but still really good @ $89.95... good savings. It's a pretty comfy helmet. These guy's have AWESOME customer service BTW.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=554

I also picked up a HJC CL-MAX which is a modular and I like it but rubs the front of the head a bit on long rides... just need to break it in a little.

Good luck

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you got a big head, as it sounds like, check out the HJC CL-16. This was the only full face helmet in my entire local bike shop that fit my head. It comes in a XXXL for around $134.99. I'm gonna pick one up pretty soon when the weather starts cooling off.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the good info. Yes, I guess I have a big head. I am looking into all options. Price is not so much a priority as is fit and how quit it is.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I have a HJC CL15 and CL16. Both are XXXL. Definately like the CL16 better. Better fit for me. Have worn it on 100 degree days and stayed just a cool as my buds wearing theur skid lids. It has decent air circulation. It also has pockets for speakers if you're so inclined.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have had all kinds of helmets and my favorite is the shoei rf1000. At highway speeds I can turn my hear and feels no different then facing forward really. Its light and very quite. i wouldnt trade it for any other helmet.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
If you got a big head, as it sounds like, check out the HJC CL-16. This was the only full face helmet in my entire local bike shop that fit my head. It comes in a XXXL for around $134.99. I'm gonna pick one up pretty soon when the weather starts cooling off.
:agree: I had a HJC CL10 for the longest time. Just replaced with a CL16 in your price range.
Seems that HJC fits us big headed guys the best.

·
Registered
960 Posts
And ive owned over 50 different helmets

:)
Would you like to admit that you exaggerated there? I have been motorcycling, including motocross racing when I was younger, for over 27 years, I am an equipment freak, and I have owned nowhere near 50 helmets. :doh: You are still a very young man. I call BS!

·
Registered
163 Posts
One of the guys that work at my local dealership showed me a picture of his friends apartment wall ,4 shelfs 6 helmets on each of them. He had some wild looking ones. He said his friend just started collecting 3yrs ago. I know collecting is different but talking about 50 helmets made me think of that picture.

·
Registered
159 Posts
have to agree that ARAI is the best helmet out there. I wear the corsair II (jolly rogers) and I love it. The wife has the same helmet. The nice thing about the ARAI is they have several different models for different shaped heads. You might need to find a shop that stocks them. But you can't beat them. I used to race and ARAI was the helmet that I wore on the track. My last two years racing I was sponsored by ARAI, the make a great lid. Comfortable, lightweight and quiet. Glad to hear that price isn't an issue. Like it was mentioned before you put your head in it..........

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More good suggestions. I am checking them all out. Seems that HJC has about the best fit for my big ol head. Still not sure if I should go with modular or not. The few i tried on seem kind of plasticy and I was concerned if I ever go down will the helmet flip up? that would be a bummer. Keep the suggestions coming. I will be getting one in the next week or so.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I've been wearing an Arai for a few years and it's more comfy than the Bells and Shoeis I've had in the past. Maybe they're all light now, I don't know, but this helmet feels just right for me and it ventilates better too. It was a bit pricy though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts