M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

As part of my purchase deal, the dealer is throwing in a helmet.

Could you pass along some recommendations? Should I go full face or no. 60% of my riding will be in town.

What is the most comfortable? What gives the best ventilation?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
 
G

·
Wow, that is a tough one. This kind of question is like what kind of oil should you use. Helmets are more of a personal taste type thing. I can offer some suggestions for your consideration: Full face offers the best protection. They will range in price from 100- on up. Get one with as many vents as possible. Around town they will be hot at lower speed in hot weather. A nice alternative to them are the flip ups. Full face protection, but at low speed you can pop up the chin guard and get some air. HJC makes one called the Symax which I own and like, Nolan makes a nice one and there are several others. 3/4 helmet is nice, gets good air, ust less protection and then the ol brain bucket. minimal protection, maximum air. Last but not least, Do Rag. Sun protection only. Looks cool, that's all I will say. Wife and I have a deal. She doesn't complain about me owning multiple bikes and my chrome addiction as long as I wear a helmet. I am cool with that. Besides, I can't afford to get ang uglier.

Best wishes on the new ride and just make sure whatever helmet you pick it is one that feels comfortable to you. Somewhat snug, but not so tight that your eyes bulge out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
I've ordered an Arai SZ-Ram 3 helmet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
I like the sunshade on this one, it looks cool and the wind noise isn't too bad.

Good read from motorcyclist - Thanks Jer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
BigThumper said:
I ordered two new HJC CL-33

Ok guys how about some prices i like the hjc,as even though i am in the market sorta for a helmet,i still am wearing my winter ski-doo bvs3 helmet,it has alot of side vision and you can remove the bottom mouth piece,so it is alot like these,but it does not vent well enough for me when the bottom mouth piece is in place,so i am looking... sorry no pics of the bvs3 lid,as i dont have good access to add pics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
I have a silver Cl-33 I will sell you for 30 bucks. Its a large. I bought it last fall and I don't like it. I think they are $89 new
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Nolan N42. In my opinion the Italians know what they are doing when we talk about helmets. In addition to all the attention our M109 brings, the second question I get the most is: Where did you get your Helmet? The modern look goes well with the bike, low noise, and the aerodynamic design let you turn your head 90 degrees at speed and feels stable. The second visor is a plus when riding at day time and if is not sunny you can always flip it up and that is it. Of the six helmets I own is my favorite. For less than 150.00 bucks is a great deal two. :bigthumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback thus far.

One other question...

Do most of you purchase a standard color (black, silver, etc) or do you go with colors to help you to be seen better on the road?

Thanks,
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,676 Posts
I got an KBC VR2 ....it's a little pricey , full face....Dot and Snell approved...and thee most comfortable I think you can find.
It's very light wieght ...small in size...and very quiet ! It also has vents around the helmet...and mouth position.

visit www.KBC.com , I bought the silver billet one and it almost perfectly matches my silver bike .

$250.00 is a small price to pay...to protect your noggin.

Try one on...and please post what you think ...

Good Luck !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,676 Posts
Oh..those flip up helmets are nice to get air when putting around....but please read the fine print on the flip part and it even gives a
serious warning about it's use...and you won't find one Snell or S2000 approved...just Dot...a minimum standard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
That Nolan looks like a real good choice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Schuberth C2 is a great helmet. It is super quite, has an internal sunscreen, and it is a flip up. It is also $450.00, but I figure my head is worth it. It comes in black, white, and silver.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
bowdman said:
Hey All,

As part of my purchase deal, the dealer is throwing in a helmet.

Could you pass along some recommendations? Should I go full face or no. 60% of my riding will be in town.

What is the most comfortable? What gives the best ventilation?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
If the dealer is throwing it in, go for the most expensive they will let you get away with as long as it fits your needs. I like the flip up full face helmets (don't have one yet). A friend had the HJC Symax, then got the Shoei version (Syncrotec) and said the Shoei is MUCH better, more comfortable, etc. Helmets are one area where the more you pay, the better the quality. If the dealer will let you get away with it, go with the Arai. Don't know much about Nolan, but have heard they are good. Next I would look at the Shoei's. The RF 1000 is also a nice helmet.
Personally I far prefer full-face over the 1/2 helmets. Some think you look like an idiot with a full-face on a cruiser style bike. My response is how foolish will you look when 1/2 of your face is scrubbed off on the pavement in a 25mph wreck?
Try a bunch on. Pay attention to weight, pad comfort (most will be slightly tight, but the pads will conform. Don't get one that is loose).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
Actually, helmets are not one of those areas where the more you pay, the more you get, at least as far as protection goes.
That was one of the things they discussed at length in the Motorcyclist's article I posted the link to earlier in this thread.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

They do a fairly thourough review of helmet design, standards, and safety.

rideutah said:
If the dealer is throwing it in, go for the most expensive they will let you get away with as long as it fits your needs. I like the flip up full face helmets (don't have one yet). A friend had the HJC Symax, then got the Shoei version (Syncrotec) and said the Shoei is MUCH better, more comfortable, etc. Helmets are one area where the more you pay, the better the quality. If the dealer will let you get away with it, go with the Arai. Don't know much about Nolan, but have heard they are good. Next I would look at the Shoei's. The RF 1000 is also a nice helmet.
Personally I far prefer full-face over the 1/2 helmets. Some think you look like an idiot with a full-face on a cruiser style bike. My response is how foolish will you look when 1/2 of your face is scrubbed off on the pavement in a 25mph wreck?
Try a bunch on. Pay attention to weight, pad comfort (most will be slightly tight, but the pads will conform. Don't get one that is loose).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Zukii said:
I have a silver Cl-33 I will sell you for 30 bucks. Its a large. I bought it last fall and I don't like it. I think they are $89 new
I may be interested in it,if it fits,i generally can wear a medium or a small large,all helmets fit differently,is it a little on the small side,if so pm me with more info,and tele. number,iam at work right now on 3rd shift,but tomorrow i can be reached at 207-247-6776 ask for Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
concerning chioce between full face or half helmet i chose a full face. protection has to be much better. I purchased a silver symax with crome face shield to match silver bike looks great together. total price was just under 300.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top