M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some of the discussions on helmets on this board I would help spread the word on this quick release subject....

Simply said...DO NOT USE THESE STUPID THINGS!

It may save you 5 seconds but that 5 seconds might come at a price. A fellow member of TLPlanet was killed a while back while riding his new Hayabusa. Granted he was speeding and whatnot ...but it has been argued and thats not the point of this post. The point is that he was wearing a fast hook and his helmet flew off during the wreck due to this........
So....take the 5 seconds to use the D Rings and maybe itll save your life

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
+1

I did have a factory installed one on a previous helmet (Snowmobile) I trusted it then, but i am not sure that I still would.
That being said, I would MAYBE use a helmet that came that way stock, but NEVER use an aftermarket piece.

I do not believe the quick release buckles have to pass any kind of DOT testing. If gthey did I might feel different

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
why you in such a rush to get your lid off that might be the only thing holding your brains in at the time :bigthumbsup:

G

·
I was talking to a member of this board about a month ago and he said on way to Atlantic City his helmet quick disconnect just came apart and the helmet flew off at 65 mph and wound up under a semi. Wasn't there, but that is what he said to me. I have always just liked the D rings. To each his/her own. JMO

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not here to preach....do whatever ya want. I have friends who thought the exact same way....but eventually they changed thier minds....partly due to a post on another board that gets this point across dramatically.... I am waiting for permission from the member who wrote it to paste it here.

Spend $400 on a helmet ..then $8 on a quick release ....and now you effectively have an $8 helmet

Ride on :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I also survived wreck with quick release on Simpson Helmet with no failure...50pmh head-on into full size car and flew( good flight, bad landing)--bout 100' down the road. Slid for some time face down with so much force my visor melted..Helmet saved my life! My release was all metal and I would be concerned for one that is plastic.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I'll just stick to the old-fashion D-rings ..................... you guy can have the quick releases ;)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Several months ago I posted a note saying that I was racing a friend of mine who owns a V-Rod (blowing his doors off BTW). He had one of those quick-disconnectors on his helmet, and it let go at about 100 mph -- I saw it go -- in my MIRRORS! (LOL).

As I explained it to him: losing to the 109 may have saved his life -- since his has since gotten rid of that worthless strap-connector (he still owns the worthless V-Rod).

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
cbxer55 said:
I have been in 2 accidents wearing helmets with aftermarket quick releases.
In neither case did the item fail, and in both cases the helmets were wrecked.
I use them on all my helmets, and will continue to do so.
I like being able to fasten and unfasten my helmet with gloves on.

Robert Hill
Midwest City, OK.
So i guess you really have had bad luck with the quick releases that should be a sign :bow:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts