M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have read somewhere that the BMW helmet is the quietest fullface in the world !

Dose anyone have any first hand Knowledge on Quiet Helmets ?

Suggestions ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well I've owned a BMW K1200RS bike but never owned a BMW helmet....but I have owned quite a few FF helmets (KBC, HJC, Bell, Shoei, OGK, Scorpion, etc...) over the years and they all are kind of noisy to me unless I wear ear plugs. The flip up front FF helmets are the most nosy in my opinion. I guess the best I have had lately in the FF version is the Scorpion helmet.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a Shuberth C2 and Shuberth makes the helmet for BMW. My helmet is very quiet. It also has an internal sunshield which is great. No need to wear sunglasses and when it starts to get dark you just flip it out of the way.

They are also expensive, but IMHO they are worth it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have had quite a few full face helmets and I wear ear plugs in all of them. I have to agree with Waltert though, as I bought a Scorpion helmet about 2 months ago and it is the quitest one I have ever had. Great price, too! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have both an open face and full face Scorpion and they are quite good and very reasonably priced . Came from my Arai Signet and the Scorpion is just as good an just about every respect while being much cheaper and has a few more features like removeable washable interior.

I always wear ear plugs on longer rides.....try it if you havent.....its amazing how nice it is and you are much more relaxed. You also realize how much that constant loud noise fatigues you on longer jaunts....... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
679 Posts
I guess the best I have had lately in the FF version is the Scorpion helmet.
Which scorpion did you buy? Mine is very noisy, sorry I can't tell you which one I got because I am 2000 miles from it but it was the cheaper of the two models they had at the stealer (that was probably my problem I know)

Just curious, cause other thatn the noise I really like the Helmet

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I've also got a Scorpion and an Arai, and I think the Arai's are the quietest helmets you can buy. I like the Scorpion as well but it allows to much wind to come up in my face compared to the Arai. Then if it's chilly out my eyes water constantly and that's no fun! I bought another new Arai since then so I don't wear the Scorpion any more. It's in "like new" shape and I only wore it for maybe 6-8 hours max. Anyone wanna buy it? It's a blue EXO-700 Raider with a blue mirrored visor.
http://www.scorpionusa.com/products/exo700_raider.html :doorag:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just an FYI, Scorpion makes a chin spoiler that clips right into place to keep any wind from coming up underneath it. I got one for my EXO400 and it cost me $7. It works so good in the Summer that I have to take it out because I get too hot.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The original question was about the BMW helmet. I can't find the links right now, but I believe you are referring to the new design, which is very LIGHT (lightest helmet manufactured yet that will meet all the Euro specs).

#1. It's not available in the US, and probably won't be for quite a while.

#2 It costs $600.

#3 Actual owners gave it FAILING marks for riding in any rain whatsoever. As I understand it, it tends to fog up. If you crack the shield open even a little, the same feature that makes it quiet, also SUCKS water into you face. Riders told horror stories of almost crashing when suddenly stuck in a shower on a crowded Euro highway (like the Autobahn, where you can't just stop, when the visibility gets bad).

Do a Google search, and I think it will lead to to this info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Arai is by far the best (fit/comfort, ventilation and quiet) I have ever owned. I would NEVER purchase a helmet prior to trying it on first! Far as that goes . . . try on as many as reasonably possible to ensure you get what works best for you.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
This is by far the quietest helmet I've ever owned. It is a flip face as you can see, but it comes standard with a chin spoiler. I've met a few folks riding with the US version of the helmet that swear its as quiet as the Arai and Shoei's they've had in the past that were full face.

Its not a cheap helmet to be certain, but I like it a lot. Sizing on it was identical to my HJC-CLMax, but there's really no comparison when it comes to fit, finish and features. The airflow into the helmet is slightly less than I was used to, but its more than enough to prevent fogging once you get moving.

I bought it from Ebay based on information I got from this site as a matter of fact, but I've been told there is a DOT approved US version of it, and have seen it myself when I picked up my bike there was a guy there on a goldwing that had one and showed it to me. The US version is a bit different than mine as you can actually remove the face shield and chin guard and wear it as a 3/4 helmet. May be able to do that with this one also, but I don't care to personally.

Would recommend if you're interested in this one to do a search for Caberg helmets and find a US distributor with the US version. Its not 100% the same, chin area is different, inner visor controls are on the left ear area instead of top rear slider. This was also the first helmet I've ever purchased that came with its own helmet bag. Has a quick release chin strap as standard also.

Hope you like.

Dalton

·
Registered
172 Posts
DaltonH said:
This is by far the quietest helmet I've ever owned. It is a flip face as you can see, but it comes standard with a chin spoiler. I've met a few folks riding with the US version of the helmet that swear its as quiet as the Arai and Shoei's they've had in the past that were full face.

Its not a cheap helmet to be certain, but I like it a lot. Sizing on it was identical to my HJC-CLMax, but there's really no comparison when it comes to fit, finish and features. The airflow into the helmet is slightly less than I was used to, but its more than enough to prevent fogging once you get moving.

I bought it from Ebay based on information I got from this site as a matter of fact, but I've been told there is a DOT approved US version of it, and have seen it myself when I picked up my bike there was a guy there on a goldwing that had one and showed it to me. The US version is a bit different than mine as you can actually remove the face shield and chin guard and wear it as a 3/4 helmet. May be able to do that with this one also, but I don't care to personally.

Would recommend if you're interested in this one to do a search for Caberg helmets and find a US distributor with the US version. Its not 100% the same, chin area is different, inner visor controls are on the left ear area instead of top rear slider. This was also the first helmet I've ever purchased that came with its own helmet bag. Has a quick release chin strap as standard also.

Hope you like.

Dalton
Dalton,

There is not a US version of the Caberg Trip helmet. I believe the version you are refering to is last years model the Caberg Justissimo. The version that you and I have is a brand new release and there are no DOT US models. That's why they are so hard to get.

Ric

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Hi Ya'll,

Just my 2 cents...but after readin that some think one helmet
is quiet and others think the same helmet is noisy......

It's all down to the shape of yer head, the thickness and length
of yer neck...etc...etc......in other words....well ya know what I mean :D

I bought one of these Caberg flip-ups with all the ventilation holes and
the flip-down shaded visor....man it's noisy..on me, I've been tryin to
put foam pads in different places to cut out the wind, I ain't got there yet.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
DaltonH said:
hehe.. thats funny.. same exact helmet I wear and I think its very quiet for me... hehe
In other words......there is not much point in askin others about different helmets.

cos it ain't one-size-fits-all....we are all different shapes...hahaaaa

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
never owned a bmw helmet, but i've heard the same thing you have about them being quiet. 2 things before you even give them any consideration:

1. realize that you can't buy them in the U.S. (they aren't DOT approved). you'll have to buy one overseas and have it shipped over.
2. look at the price tag. you're gonna spend anywhere from $500-$1500 US for a new bmw helmet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts