M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending 3 full days riding bikes at Bike Week in Daytona, it was the M109 hands down.  I rode all the Harleys, Victory's (the Hammer was a possibility), Yamaha's, Honda's, Kawasaki's, and then fell in love.  Price was not the object, as my wife offered to buy me a Harley for my upcoming 60th birthday.  I told her she had to buy me the 109 or I would buy it myself.  Unfortunately, she is not amenable to splitting the $8,000 that I saved her.  I ordered the bike on 4/25 and I am still waiting.  In the meantime, I am looking to replace my 40 year old helmet and quickly becoming frustrated!  I want a modular helmet.  I've spent a lot of time on the internet, only to find out that other riders are having different problems with different models.  I am looking for recommendations.  Please help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have looked at, read up on, and tried on about all the modular helmets out to date. And when I say tried on I will usually put a helmet on strap it down and keep it on for 10 to 15 minutes. Some places will actually let you ride down the road in em. Anyway all that to say this.... I would suggest the KBC FFR modular. Why? Well here is why..
It's moving parts mechanism that lifts the front is aluminum. All the others are plastic!
It can actually be locked in the up position and riden with it in that position (wouldn't advise it though). Now I have to say that its selling point is it's down side as well. Most of the modulars go between 3.5 - 3.75 pounds.... the KBC is 4lbs. flat. Aluminun again.
I have always had Aria helmets; well except for one Shoei that was a match to my GSXR; I have a hard time finding a good fit in helmets. I wear a small in Aria and my shorty helmet I bought for around town is an extra small Vega. If I may suggest a place (hope this isn't stepping on anybodies toes) to get a helmet try CycleGear.com they may even have a store near you. 30 day no questions asked helmet rerun policy !Even if it's been used. Hope this helps ya

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am always jealous of those other bikers I see on their gold wings during stop-and-go morning rush hour with their modular helmet flipped up sipping coffee carried in their cup holder while listening to XM radio. Now that's a cool type of helmet, especially if you need to spit or itch your chin or communicate with another biker or vehicle at a stop light without having to yell at the top of your lungs.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
I wear a HJC Symax and I love it. I'm about due for a new helmet and unless something real cool comes out I'll be getting another Symax. Helmets are kind of like seats, we all have differnet butts and heads and one mans favorite may not not work at all for another man. ::)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Do they have any helmets out there with Bluetooth built-in so you can use them with your cell phone, or do you just hack the helmet yourself with those various kits I have seen? Would also be cool if it was stereo with all of those new MP3/Cell Phones about to come out, you could listen to tunes while waiting for your biker babe to call you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got a black HJC CL-Max, size 3XL. Hence my net name "threexl". It's the biggest size that any helmet maker offers - most don't go that high. I got it for $156.74 total, with free S&H, from CycleStuffUSA.com. All sizes are the same price.

It's more snug than my HJC CL-14 I bought 2 years ago. Also, some air comes in from under the chin area when I'm rolling along on my M109. The flip up mechanism works OK - it's mostly plastics. It also locks in the up position. It's also a little heavy - mayber 4 to almost 5 pounds.

I've found that with both of my HJCs that I have to usually open the shield ever so slightly. Otherwise, breathing will fog it up somewhat. That can happen especially when stopped at stop lights.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I Dont know much about modulars but you do need something that will protect your head. So what ever you decide my advise is dont go cheap.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have a new KBC VR2...silver in color . It is DOT and Snell approved and recommended for profesional racing...it is vented and very light...and wisper quiet...I
get no wind in the helmet and it is extreeeeemely comfortable....and looks damn good on to...of course the silver goes with my silver 109.

Those modulars are cute but they are not exactly safe...as a matter of fact I doubt Snell will put thier approval on them, I looked at several and had no luck. ...in tiny fine print chin area you will see a warning of the mod part not gauranteeing safety...the Vr2 and Vr3 are not cheap..but 250 bucks is worth protecting
our Brains... I have seen pics of face injuries and Im sold..talking to fellow riders is cool , I use finger signs... good luck on you dicision.

·
Registered
60 Posts
thats true but snell aproves the open face helmets and not the modular. But in all actualality is that helmets are only gonna protect you at resonable speeds because if you are running at speeds of 70 or more and wipe out there is no helmet can take a direct blow at that speed.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
bigzuki109er said:
thats true but snell aproves the open face helmets and not the modular. But in all actualality is that helmets are only gonna protect you at resonable speeds because if you are running at speeds of 70 or more and wipe out there is no helmet can take a direct blow at that speed.
If you wipe out at that speed I would think if your head hit something your neck would take the big hit. And if safety is you main thing, make sure it is snell rated.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wear an HJC hybrid with the flip up chin.
This allows me to have full face protection and don it without removing my glasses.
The clear shield flips up easily and the whole thing flips up by simply pressing up on the small bar like button on the bottom edge.
It's a simple design that looks tough. The shield is replacable and it's very quiet.
Bradbike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of your help. I read where Snell has not even bothered to evaluate the modular helmets. They say they will get around to it one of these days. Of course, I am sure that it won't rate as high as a full face, so it would be a trade off. Hopefully, not to much of one.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I would rather my helmet NOT meet the Snell requirements. Too hard in my opinion.
Their test proves out more protection for a higher impact speed but the plain DOT being a little softer will actually transmit
lest G's to your head in most of the accidents we would normally have OFF the track.

Atleast thats what I read :D :D

I went to all of my local helmet dealers and tried on everything till I found the helmet for me. (It does say Snell...)
Then I bought it off the internet and saved atleast $40 compared to anyplace locally. Even my dealer with a sale and a 10% discount for buying there
could not come close to the price.

PUt the make/model into google and presto!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts