M109 Rider Forums banner

Helmet Comms - Who uses it and how often?

7K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  5111 
#1 ·
So, at the recent M/C Show, I saw a Nolan helmet that I really liked... it was the X103 I think... modular, good fit, easy operation. The helmet function was just what I want...

However, it has a communications package for some additional $$.

It can link up via BlueTooth to a GPS unit, a Cell phone or an MP3 Player... As well as (I think) communicate with other riders in the near vicinity... and even if it can't ... whose to say you can't just call them and talk over the phone... I know I might like to be able to tell my buddy that I"m coming up on his left or when he has the clear to change lanes or speed up...

Any who... I'm wondering who here has experience with these kinds of set ups... I'm starting to think that for as nice as it would be to get directions in my ear and communicate with my riding friends while on the go for 'line / position /& traffic cues'.... I really don't want to be taking calls and listening to music while I'm riding...

Anyone got an opinion or idea to share??

Looking for any input,,, it's about a $600 outlay... so I want to be sure before I commit...

Thanks Gang.

See less See more
#2 ·
I listen to my iPod while riding. I often thought how nice it would be to be able to take phone calls, but then I realize how much I enjoy the ridding, and don't want anything messing with that.

picture this, you're on the way home from a great ride with your buddies, and the wife call you to pick up milk from the store, before you know it, she has you picking up...bread, man hole covers, lunch meat for the kids, and whatever else SHE thinks will fit on the bike. Then she tells you about her day, and how you have to go to dinner with the in-laws Friday night.
This is supposed to be ME time, leave me alone.

#6 · (Edited)
I listen to my iPod while riding. I often thought how nice it would be to be able to take phone calls, but then I realize how much I enjoy the ridding, and don't want anything messing with that.

picture this, you're on the way home from a great ride with your buddies, and the wife call you to pick up milk from the store, before you know it, she has you picking up...bread, man hole covers, lunch meat for the kids, and whatever else SHE thinks will fit on the bike. Then she tells you about her day, and how you have to go to dinner with the in-laws Friday night.
This is supposed to be ME time, leave me alone.
I say! The next time your wife call's!:D Tell her,Talk to you when i get home:chillout:.I am injoying my riding!LOL:hot:If you need something from the store,Take a nice Walk!;)and say,See you when i get there Sweetie! lol..Just a Thought! No Offence intended...Just Joking!....:joke:Enjoy your (9)...:drool:
And"Don't" let Anybody Mess up your Riding Time!

Take Care,Ride Safe...:bigthumbsup:

#3 ·
LOL so true FF....

I went with Scala since the g/f pretty much paid for it.... nice to chat while riding 2 up... and has a radio built right in and also has the blue tooth ... sometimes need to make that call and not take the helmet off........OR even slow down.. lol

:bigthumbsup:

#23 ·
LOL so true FF....

I went with Scala since the g/f pretty much paid for it....
:bigthumbsup:
Hey Eric (old post, I know!)...think you can get the g/f to buy one for me?? :-* 8) :super:

Seriously, how is this comm system working and how does it mount to the helmet (I have a full-face)...?

I want to be able to listen to iPod and talk with the wife, as well as take/make calls, etc.

Thanks,

Chip

#5 ·
#7 ·
I purchased the Whistler brand ones on Black Friday but took them back because I had such a hard time getting them to sync.

I then bought the Scala ones for cheap and installed them but have not yet used them. I've been on several rides, but it has been too cold for the wife to ride. Hopefully soon I'll know how well they work for bike to bike communication.

#8 ·
I have a pair of Scala2 and they are the best mod I have done. We (dad and I on separate bikes) used them on the way to/from Daytona for Biketoberfest and they more than paid for themselves on that trip.

I have used a handful of times for cell calls, but I only answer when I want and feel it is safe to talk.

#19 ·
I have a pair of Scala2 and they are the best mod I have done. We (dad and I on separate bikes) used them on the way to/from Daytona for Biketoberfest and they more than paid for themselves on that trip.

I have used a handful of times for cell calls, but I only answer when I want and feel it is safe to talk.
I also have the Q2's and they are great. When on the phone at 70 no one can tell unless hit bumps and your voice bounces. stereo speakers are high pitched.

#9 ·
I'm alot like Cris! When i'm not listening to my MP3 player. I normally talk to myself:eek: I've just got to learn, not to keep butting in on myself:doh: I have nothing further to add, to this Tread:D

#10 ·
I got the Scala Q2's for my wife and I last spring, and wouldn't ride with her without them. It's great being able to tell each other when you're going to be turning, pointing out things along the way, telling them they left their saddlebags open, assisting with merging into traffic, etc. Other than you have the microphone right in front of your face they are great.

And they fit on both open face and full face helmets, you just loosen a couple bolts and swap them from helmet to helmet. Or buy an extra headset and base and just swap the comm unit.

Battery life lasts all day too. I've never had one of them go dead while riding.

And the new ones now will reach up to 1 mile in good terrain. Ours are the 500 meter jobs, but we still maintain contact 99.9% of the time.

#26 ·
:agree:

Hey Eric (old post, I know!)...think you can get the g/f to buy one for me?? :-* 8) :super:

Seriously, how is this comm system working and how does it mount to the helmet (I have a full-face)...?

I want to be able to listen to iPod and talk with the wife, as well as take/make calls, etc.

Thanks,

Chip
Yes, it mounts to the outside of your helmet very easily (even full face), looks good, and works great! You can speak with others, hear your GPS and/or listen to your iPod, and take phone calls.

Hubby and I have the Scala Q2 as well...just got them about a month ago and have used them about 6 times now...we love them! If you want to talk to a 3rd person, you'd have to get the upgraded model (Q4 I believe), because someone with a Q4 can sync up with two other Q2 Scala's in a sort of "conference call" mode. Mike (Giddy109), who we ride with a lot, has the Q4 and last weekend we got to test out the 3-way conversation. It was awesome! :bigthumbsup:

#11 ·
silver's the fastest

Totally agree with the above comments on the Scala Q2. My son and I use them and they are flat out great. The only problem is that he has a hard time keeping up with me- there is only a range of about 1/3 mile.

#16 ·
Here's a helmet I use. I have it synced to my iphone; can listen to music and answer calls hands-free (or push the button on the left side of the helmet to ignore a call). It can also be synced to GPS and other Element helmets. Sounds and works great.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/17571/ITEM/Element-Fastrack-Bluetooth-Solid-Helmet.aspx
I've been looking at that helmet for a few months now. Nobody around here has them and no one had them an International Bike Show. How do you think the sizing is on those? I have a big head and most manufacturer's XL's are too small for me. Just wondering if you think these helmets run "small" or "big" compared to others you've used.

#14 ·
I had all kinds of com built into my ultra classics.

Bike to bike kicks ars.

Blue tooth connect to GPS & MP3 Kicks ars.

Never connected my cell phone though. My phone rings between 5 and 20 times an hour. One of the nice things about being out for a ride is not being able to take those calls.

Well, the wife and I are planning to be pregnant by next season and she is pushing for me to get the Nolan setup so she can always reach me. God help me! I am about to lose the one place my leash can not reach me.:edit:

Looks like I need louder pipes or maybe to go with a half helmet?

#18 ·
It means I have to listen to my woman talk talk talk talk, I love here but holy crap, she starts singing as well then thankfully the battery in the bluetooth thing we got goes flat with a deafening squawk.

Mick

#20 ·
To be Honest, I don't want to talk to my Passenger when i'm riding. Maybe another bike, maybe!? It's theorpy time, no talking allowed till we get off the BIKE! JMO:-\

#24 ·
Do not buy the Nolan set up. Because firstly they work only with Nolans and secondly the Scala's have a better range and better features like auto sleep to reduce battery consumtion. A mate of mine has both but swears by the Q2 . We rode 13000 kms in one road trip and through rain and dust the Scalas held good retaining about 8 hours of charge every day

#33 ·
I purchased a Scala Q2 multiset for about $230 online around Thanksgiving. I have only used it with the wife a couple of times, but she now refuses to ride without it. She is a new rider and likes the extra set of eyes. She says that the problem with riding a motorcycle is that you are all alone, even in a group. With the Scala we can converse just like we are in the car, so she loves it. I'm the talker in the relationship, so I also love it.

I know that it will also sync with our phones, gps, and mp3 player, but I have not yet used for anything other than talking to the wife while we each ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.