M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this "Portable Vibrating Speaker..." off of Daily Steals (overstock website). There are probably lots of sources for them. The thing hooks into any 1/8" headphone jack and has a little transducer (~1.5" dia) that you place on any surface - which turns it into the speaker.

I haven't tried this on the road yet, but just fiddling here in my family room, I can tell that this will easily work better than jamming plugs into my ears - which is painful while wearing the helmet. Also, you get all tangled up when putting the helmet on / off with plugs.

You can even just land this on a bony part of your head (jaw, skull...) and get reasonable sound. I am not much on music during rides, but for talk shows and such, I think this will be nice.

This takes 2 AAA batteries, and I bet it's a pig.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Fender

I am a runner, and I hate dealing with plugs. I might figure out a way to make a hat work with this.

Sorry if this is old news to you guys, I hadn't run into this before.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Will be interestingto see how well this works. Please keepus posted :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
A guy had a stall at the ullysses agm in Mildura last year and I thought it was awesome the way it worked,but it did worry me if you hit a bump or if there was a lot of wind on the day that it may come off or come through the gadget making interference ,let us know how it goes :)

Sent from the bowels of awesomness

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Progress

OK, I finally dug into this project. The short version is that it works satisfactorily. I doubt that anyone will do something this crazy, but just for the sake of closing the loop, here goes.

I have a lot of helmets (my head grew, or the helmets shrunk shrank:dontknow:). I normally use my XL, but have now modified my L. I epoxied the element to the inside of the helmet. There's a diaphragm that's about 1" dia under the general body of the element; that's what I glued.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Tread Rim Audio equipment
It's that white blob with the wire.

Next I cut a well into the Styrofoam that goes in this section (yes, I am nuts).
Plumbing fixture Automotive tire Toilet Wood Automotive design
I had to keep fiddling, as you might guess. If you don't cut enough of a well out, you end up squashing the element against the helmet too hard, and lose volume (sound level).

Next I put it all back together.
Carbon Bicycle part Personal protective equipment Auto part Fashion accessory
Wood Automotive tire Flooring Floor Audio equipment
I ran the wire out with the strap, but in a way that keeps it outside of my chin.

I did modify the product, to put a connector in-line, so when I pull the helmet off, I don't have to have a bunch of barnacles hanging on.

When I have the helmet on the bench, it's rather loud. When I put it on, I'm still pushing the foam into the element, but it's all still pretty loud.

I took it out for a spin today and... it's okay, but not great at high speed. I am certain that I just need to make that well a little deeper to get full volume.

I don't think anybody would be thrilled with this for music, unless you're pretty easy to please. I am doing this b/c I listen to blab-radio and audio books.

So, good enough for me, but I'll probably work at it some more.

I also ordered some muffs off of ebay, which I'll try when they come in, and report back.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
150 Posts
Seem these before, they work pritty good one guy that I know has one, he just put it on the bottom of the outside of a normal box and its pritty loud for a small thing.
Never thought of it for a helmet. Good idea

Sent from my FULLYSICK iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,676 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.