M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys, I just got my bike and now I'm putting some miles on it (200 now) and it was smoking when I went around a slow car. I didn't think it was me but, then later my Buddie said I was smoking when I gave it the gas on a straight away in 5th gear. Come to think of it I was in 5th or 4th the frist time it happened.. I also notice when I got home there was some oil streaks on the left side cover. So I took off the air box and it had oil in it! WTF? you guys think it was from pulling in 5th or do you guys think they might of over filled it with oil before that gave it too me? Stick is reading right on the full line. let me know what you think is the cause. ???

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Either way it is under warranty? Since your new to the family you do know about the wacky oil check procedure? Take it back to the dealer and they should replace the filter and clean the filter box and air box. Good luck and do a search on puking....Lots of reading

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either way it is under warranty? Since your new to the family you do know about the wacky oil check procedure? Take it back to the dealer and they should replace the filter and clean the filter box and air box. Good luck and do a search on puking....Lots of reading
Sad part is, they are 1hr 45 mins away from me :-\. No I don't know about the wacky oil deal and the must not either LOL. I just got done cleaning it all out. Thanks for the search tip! :bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
HI guys, I just got my bike and now I'm putting some miles on it (200 now) and it was smoking when I went around a slow car. I didn't think it was me but, then later my Buddie said I was smoking when I gave it the gas on a straight away in 5th gear. Come to think of it I was in 5th or 4th the frist time it happened.. I also notice when I got home there was some oil streaks on the left side cover. So I took off the air box and it had oil in it! WTF? you guys think it was from pulling in 5th or do you guys think they might of over filled it with oil before that gave it too me? Stick is reading right on the full line. let me know what you think is the cause. ???
Over fill is normal.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yeah, what woody said!

Too much oil causes excess crank case pressure. With the extra pressure, it vents out the blow by line, which is routed through your left side air breather.

When you check you oil, and your oil is to the full line, you oil is actually too full. Your oil should be half way between the low line and full line.

Take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it. But since your dealer is so far away, all you have to do is drain some oil and clean up your left side air box. You will need a new air filter though! Sorry

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
:agree:

No need for worry. I recomend replacing filters with K&N or equivelent so you can clean them regularly. Now that you got the "Puke" it will dribble for a while and clog the new paper filter again. After doing that I noticed much better perfomance

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Over fill is normal.:bigthumbsup:
Yeah, what woody said!

Too much oil causes excess crank case pressure. With the extra pressure, it vents out the blow by line, which is routed through your left side air breather.

When you check you oil, and your oil is to the full line, you oil is actually too full. Your oil should be half way between the low line and full line.

Take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it. But since your dealer is so far away, all you have to do is drain some oil and clean up your left side air box. You will need a new air filter though! Sorry
AH I see. I didn't get too excited about it because that was what I was thinking.. They over filled it and when it was warm the oil expanse and bingo! major over full.. I was going to drain some out too so that for reminding me..Thanks guys! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I would dump the oil and just put the right amount back in. with new filter something like 3.8 qt. I just dump 4 and run it to the next oil change.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
So since you don't know.....Start the bike and let it idle on the side stand for 15 minutes....after the 15 minutes shut it off and hold the bike upright for 3 minutes....Now after the 3 minutes and still holding the bike upright, pull the dipstick, wipe clean and place back in the hole WITHOUT threading it all the way down and remove....You now have some idea of how much oil is in the bike....... I say that cause if you did this 3 times in a row without driving the bike i bet you get 3 different readings. Wacky huh? Oh and you should really let the dealer know about the oil in the airbox. There are sensors in there that can act foolish if covered with oil.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I just eliminated that line and put a breather filter directly on the crank case. No more puke. $7 spent.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Hey Woody & Gixxer , I was in the shop the other day and the service manager told me they just got a bulletin for checking oil. They told me now Suzuki says to sit on or put it in a stand where the bike is straight up ( not on the side stand ) Run for 15 mins then set for 3 then check.
Manager told me that they got the bulletin as they were still getting too many dealerships trying to get Suzuki to replace the filters w2hen they changed oil and then checked level on side stand.
Gixxer, Welcome to the site:congrats:

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
do the catch can I have had it on for more then a year an just emptying the catch can is easier then taking off the air boxes bike runs great here is pick of new filter I am using at the end of line instead of the small filter from autozone.

this pic shows you it works little oil in can
hope this helps

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it! :bow: I didn't think of a catch can deal, it would be a lot easier than worrying if you got your oil just right. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
K109- did you get the catch can at, autozone too?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Home depot

K109- did you get the catch can at, autozone too?
It's an air compressor mini air filter, just remove the filter element. Lowes and Home Depot both have them in the compressor parts section.

A catch can - what do you guys do keep it over full -
Over or underfilled it still puked to some extent. I think it has to do with riding style. For example if you get 40+ MPG you're probably less likely to have a problem. If you get 30 or less, it'll puke....just my theory.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks CU_There.

You know I got to thinking what might be the culprit. I think what helps this happen is the restrictive air filter causing vacuum to pull the oil up from the crank case ( of course the over filling really doesn't help too.). How many still have this happening and is still running a stock filter? How many have aftermarket filter and this happens? (I don't know, it's just my logical thinking)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks CU_There.

You know I got to thinking what might be the culprit. I think what helps this happen is the restrictive air filter causing vacuum to pull the oil up from the crank case ( of course the over filling really doesn't help too.). How many still have this happening and is still running a stock filter? How many have aftermarket filter and this happens? (I don't know, it's just my logical thinking)
Hmmmm, could be, and then running it hard amplifies that...I've had stock air on both bikes. First bike didn't have a problem until the third oil change and then it didn't stop until I installed the catch. I put mine inline so it still runs to the airbox just to avoid any warranty issues. My bikes have been 100% dealer maintained, 100% dealer cost, and believe me, he got tired of changing filters and tried to correct the problem with oil level; bottom line it didn't work. Good luck though.....

1 - 20 of 77 Posts