M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I ordered Kury ISO grips and want to install grip warmers before I install the grips.

I have searched high and far on this site for a recent step-by-step to see if these are easy, fairly easy, or nigh impossible to install on the 109.

Up to now, I have deduced that there are end weights in the bars that need to be drilled out...what does that entail? Do I have to take the bars off the bike (thereby having to remove everything to get them off) of is it possible to work on them while still attached?

Anybody able to list the steps they had to take and if they have pics, that would be great also?

Also, did you run all the wiring inside the bar and then drill a hole in the center and run the wiring down the front to get power or what? I am trying to scope this before I set sail and make a mess of things. :p

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I have drilled into the weights to install Kewl locks. It is not very hard with sharp drill bits. In your case you only need to drill the welds that hold the lug in place out and the lug will come right out. You can do this with the bars on the bike. As for wiring, I would run the wires through the bars just to keep it clean. Once the lug is out running the wires won't be that bad. You will probably need to pull the bars in order to drill an exit hole for the wires.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
On mine there appeared to be no welds but couldn't get them to budge. I assumed it was pressed in and figuered it was not worth the effort to drill out that much steel. Good luck and let me know how you did it. I would love to have hidden grip heaters

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On mine there appeared to be no welds but couldn't get them to budge. I assumed it was pressed in and figuered it was not worth the effort to drill out that much steel. Good luck and let me know how you did it. I would love to have hidden grip heaters
Thanks for the input, guys...hey, Lostrider, is what The Chief is saying true (not implying he's lying...LOL!)...am I going to have to figure out where the welds are or is it fairly obvious?

Chip

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,084 Posts
They are welded in from the outside. If you pull a grip off and look at the bottom of the bar you can see where the weld is. I think there's a hole in the bar that is filled with weld to hold the weights in.

I put on a different set of grips a couple weeks ago and had to shorten the bars up a little. When I cut them off it cut off about 1/8" of the weights and the slice just fell off, so I knew there weren't welded in from the ends. I just pulled the left grip off and found the weld on the bottom of the bar.

That gives you a choice. You could drill out the weight from the end, starting off with a small bit and working up, or drill out the weld on the bottom and see if you can pull them out.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Aha! maybe I didn't look underneath the bar. I drilled and tapped the weight, screwed a bolt in and tried a sliding hammer hoping they were glued in. Maybe I'll look for the spot weld to drill out and try the sliding hammer again.
I'm a little concerned about loosing the anti-vibration weights, there may be a trade off: added vibration for hidden wires.
And the bars will have to come off to drill the holes for the wires.
There's a good spot to put a hi/lo/off toggle switch hidden under the tach, easily reachable when riding.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zoom, thanks a whole lot for your explanation, you too, Chief! That makes a job I was concerned about sound a great deal easier. I will definitely run the wires inside and I am also adding LED end caps to my Kury grips...I am not sure how they are constructed wiring wise (does the wire come out the side of the end cap or the middle?) but when I get them in the mail in a few days, I will know.

Pics to follow...thanks for the input, guys! I LOVE this site!! 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts