M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I saw a thread on this but it may have been within another thread. I seemed to notice it bouncing around some but don't really ride too much at night. I washed the bike today and noticed the whole headlight assy cowl and all move up and down quite a bit. I am at work and no service manual with me but it seems to be rubber mounted and most times they use a shouldered spacer so it can only go so tight with the bolt and the rubber gromets are supposed to do the rest. Has anybody remedied the bouncing headlight? thanks.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Ya mine wiggles a bit and so does the hubby's, hmm good one?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No this movement is more like 12mm (0.5") or so when you put your hand under it and lift it up and down. looks like the bike has one of those headlight modulators on it when on a bumpy road. some others have reported it but if it is bolted down like I think it is with a spacer and bolt through a grommet it probably means the spacer is a tad long and needs to be ground down or the rubber grommet is not thick enough to take up the slack.

·
Registered
775 Posts
mine does it; i walked down the street and checked a buddy of mine's and his is exactly the same. ( 12 mm or so) may be a factory slack to keep the cowling from cracking or breaking on bumpy rides :dontknow:

G

·
its listed in one of my pet peeves of the 109 thread haha Its a crappy design but I will say at night, its getting noticed

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since it looks like it's built in design :D I may see if I can put a small piece of sponge rubber silicone in the small gap between the chrome cover the turn sigs bolt to and the bottom of the headlight. It would still be rubber mounted but should stop some of the bounce. thanks all.

·
Registered
665 Posts
mine jiggles(?) a little,but it also is more noticable that way. Kinda like a modulator.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I've had mine on and off about 3 times or so and I have no trouble with mine "moving around" :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I noticed mine moving, especially after I put on the Suzuki sport windshield. I put a concave washer on each side to put a little more tension on the cowl. No movement now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was startin' tuh think I was the only one with this headlight wobble issue . I took it off a few times for wire access and such couldn't see anything missing or wrong in there , it all lined up nice and still wobbled up and down so bad people were flashin' high beams at me. When I have my windshield on there I jam it under the headlight cowl with some tension on it so the wobble goes away on trips at least .I'll have to try the concave washer trick.
Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts