M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded my mt09 in on an 13 m109r, had just picked up a zx10r and it made my mt09 less "exhilarating"..and needed something to ride with my wife. I do like the bike, first cruiser and quickly understood you can't put it in 1st at 40-50 mph lol.. I hate the headlight...to the point of getting rid of it. Then why did I buy it?? I liked the power, and knowing that sure...I might not be able to fork out 15k for a harley..but on a straight I'd see you in the rear view (most harleys).. Is there any kits at all to change it?? I want to keep it. Wife thinks its beautiful. But I just look at it...its all I look at. Help!

Registered
2009 / VZR1800
Traded my mt09 in on an 13 m109r, had just picked up a zx10r and it made my mt09 less "exhilarating"..and needed something to ride with my wife. I do like the bike, first cruiser and quickly understood you can't put it in 1st at 40-50 mph lol.. I hate the headlight...to the point of getting rid of it. Then why did I buy it?? I liked the power, and knowing that sure...I might not be able to fork out 15k for a harley..but on a straight I'd see you in the rear view (most harleys).. Is there any kits at all to change it?? I want to keep it. Wife thinks its beautiful. But I just look at it...its all I look at. Help!
If I may...
please do yourself a favour, and wait as long as you can.
That headlight had grown on many I know, and now they
actually love it. IMHO, from distance it totally flows with
the lines of the rest of the bike...and actually it makes it
stand out from the crowd... Just saying.... Cheers! 馃嵒

Registered
Yeah, when I got mine in 2006, I was a little ambivalent about the head light. Liked the rest of the bike a lot, so I settled for it. Now, I love it. As evil said, it grows on you. Not sure if the 13 is one of the all black models with the part on top of the light also being black. The 06, it's chrome. And I love it. I still get thumbs up and "beautiful bike" every time I ride it, and it's 15 years old.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen the blacked out ones...and Then the headlight looks great, but this bike is blue/chrome. I've since removed the wind shield from the bike. Looked a little better without. I think its a bad color. Honesty would be appreciated.....Its not the best looking m109r is it?

Attachments

Registered
Upgrading the actual headlight lens itself makes it look more modern.
My first impression of this bike and headlight made me think of the robot from the Netflix version of Lost in Space. Its grown on me over the years.
You can always find an M109R2 headlight. Its less distinct looking.

R2 headlight

Registered
Honestly. While its not ugly 'cause its a M109, there are some changes I would make.
  • De-beaver the back.
  • Install smoked or clear tail light.
  • Remove lolly pop front signals and install flatz.
  • Remove side marker reflectors.
  • Install chrome engine guards.
  • Blue-tint the wind screen.
Other than that the only other thing I would do is change it to one-up riding, but you want your wife with you so scratch that idea.

Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
I'm like the others, hated it when I first got it then grew to really like the distinct look it gives the bike. On yours, that angle makes it look bad because all you see is the chrome. I'd considering painting over the chrome with blue to match the rest of the bike then see what you think. And lots have installed a Victory headlight to make it look different.

Registered
Upgrading the actual headlight lens itself makes it look more modern.
My first impression of this bike and headlight made me think of the robot from the Netflix version of Lost in Space. Its grown on me over the years.
You can always find an M109R2 headlight. Its less distinct looking.

R2 headlight
View attachment 419664
The circumcised version. ;-)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly. While its not ugly 'cause its a M109, there are some changes I would make.
  • De-beaver the back.
  • Install smoked or clear tail light.
  • Remove lolly pop front signals and install flatz.
  • Remove side marker reflectors.
  • Install chrome engine guards.
  • Blue-tint the wind screen.
Other than that the only other thing I would do is change it to one-up riding, but you want your wife with you so scratch that idea.
Will do, I think I'm also going to repaint gloss black...maybe flat im not sure. I think the blue/chrome clashes.

Registered
I could have gotten a good deal on a black 9 , but I thought it was ugly.
So did I. When the reviews first came out in 06, they were all black bikes. Did nothing for me. Even seeing one in person, didn't want one. Saw one in silver, had to have it. Still do 15 years later. Of course, my 08 B-King is the all black version. But that's a horse of a different story.

Registered
There's a lot of things that are illegal. Changing the exhaust is a Federal No-No. Yet, practically every motorcycle on the road has some sort of modified exhaust. Here where I live, the Police pay no attention to loud vehicles at all. I don't know about where you live, but here, there are a lot of one-eyed cars and trucks. Technically, that is illegal as well. Vehicles the brake lights don't work are the worst. I'm paranoid about brake lights. I check them on all my vehicles every time I drive them. They're backed in a garage, so I just look for the reflection on the back wall before leave and when I return.

Registered
I was like you and sooo many others at first about the headlight. i loved the bike but wished it had a regular headlight. It didnt take long and the stock headlight also grew on me and wouldnt have it any other way now after 13 years of owning my 2006! The thing that bugs me is how it looks with the rear seat on instead of the rear cowl, but the good thing is when im riding it alone, i just swap the rear seat out for the cowl! The feeling this thing gives when winding her up through the gears always makes me smile!

Registered
Yeah, it's fugly with the rear seat on. I like my Corbin Smuggler. Hasn't been off the bike since I bought it in 2010. Mine has never had a rear seat installed, and in fact, the passenger pegs and their brackets went in the round-open-top-file years ago.

Think the M109R is fast, you should try a B-king with a Dyno Jet Power Commander V! It accelerates so hard in first gear, I get an actual for real head rush doing it.

Registered
Yeah, it's fugly with the rear seat on. I like my Corbin Smuggler. Hasn't been off the bike since I bought it in 2010. Mine has never had a rear seat installed, and in fact, the passenger pegs and their brackets went in the round-open-top-file years ago.

Think the M109R is fast, you should try a B-king with a Dyno Jet Power Commander V! It accelerates so hard in first gear, I get an actual for real head rush doing it.
would love to ride one!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts