M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone but me noticed that the cover on the headlight squeeks if you grab or push lightly. Haven't had Time to remove it yet ( OT at work ) but it looks to me like a plastic mount.
If so I'm going to fab up something out of aluminum. Comments please

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Saw a mention in another thread of this. Is the light designed so it is not real rigidly mounted ? Would a more rigid bracket w/ grommets to allow some give be ok ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hoping someonecan give me an answer on the headlight. Is it supposed to be less than rigidly mounted for vibration reasons, or would making a more solid alum mount w/ some neoprene bushings work ?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm just curious as to why you would want to change it.
Mine only squeeks when polishing but doesn't move around when riding.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Aussie109 said:
I'm just curious as to why you would want to change it.
Mine only squeeks when polishing but doesn't move around when riding.
+1 here. What's your problem with it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have any big problem with it. I'm just asking if it's supposed to have that much give or not. It doesn't make any squuek unless I put my hand on it.

The minor issue I have with it is that it squeeks when I push on it. I like stuff securely fastened, even if it's bushed w/ neoprene. I'm not a motorcycle mechanic, or even a garage motorcycle mechanic. I am a fairly good car mechanic for my other vehicles when I need it. Even though my job is as an Industrial Electrician, I do alot of millwright work, and alot of machine work on lathe and knee mill. So if it doesn't need to squeek, then I'm going to change the bracket so it doesn't !

So, does this light need to be less than rigid ?? and if so, will securely fastening it to an aluminum frame I fab and tig weld up, and bush w/ neoprene suffice for the cushion required ?

Also, if it only adds 10-20lbs, I'll probably replace my plastic cover w/ something chromed, or anodized alum. Does any one else have a desire to replace some of the chromed plastic or I am I all alone on that one ?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Keep in mind that if you mount it rigidly more vibrations will be transfered to your light and your bulb might end up with a shorter lifespan.

This is my guess as to why it isn't rigid mounted now. Vibration isolation.

No big deal though I guess.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Jig said:
Also, if it only adds 10-20lbs,  I'll probably replace my plastic cover w/ something chromed, or anodized alum.  Does any one else have a desire to replace some of the chromed plastic or I am I all alone on that one ?
I don't think a lot of folks would be interested in adding 20 pounds of weight to the front of their bikes. But let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My spelling error. I MEant to say my Plastic Covers, I'm talking about all of the chromed plastic on the bike. Would leave the headlight alone except the mounting frame.
I'm talking all the chromed covers below the seat, and 10-20 lbs there won't be noticeable.

And still no answer from a MC mechanic or mod guy..... Does the light need to flex, if so will bushings on an aluminum mount suffice ?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Okay, gotcha. If some of the plastic near the middle could be replaced, I'd be interested. In fact, I have to assume there will be some aftermarket billet replacement stuff coming out, like swingarm covers, breather covers, etc. That stuff is available for most other popular bikes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts