M109 Rider Forums banner

Headlight Bulb upgrade??

1K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  hellrazr72 
G
#1 ·
So i want a brighter light out of the headlight. Has anyone put different bulbs in their bikes with positive results?? If so...please include comments and where to get the bulbs you upgraded to. I leave for a ride next weekend and really want this issue solved before I leave. I was thinking of doing a 10000k Zenon HID conversion....but was afraid that it would suck too much power and blow fuses or possibly damage some electrical stuff. Thanks-HELL :evil:

#2 ·
http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6077&str=290&ID=240398273

This is a link to the PIAA bulb on Direct Line. There is a picture there of the difference between stock and PIAA on Hal and Lamonts rides and I seem to recall them both saying it was much better. The PIAA is a direct replacement for the stock bulb and about 2x as bright. Might also do a search for it and read the comments others have made on it.

#5 ·
I replaced the stock bulb with a PIAA #4 (if I recall the number) and raised the light up 2 full turns on the adjuster screw.

It added about 25 percent more illumination on the highway and projected a broader spectrum. Raising the light two turns really improved the directional lighting and no one complains on the road.

Krieghoff

G
#6 ·
crazytank7 said:
I am waiting for this winter to install true HID's on my 109.. :bigthumbsup:
Crazy...I too was thinking of adding a true HID zenon kit to my bike. But those draw a lot of power...i put a kit on my car, thats how I know. You dont think on a motorcycle that such a draw could do damage??

#9 ·
I do not understand what the concern is about using the Xenon HID kit. I am searching now to find a good one at a reasonable price. Am I missing something? Here is what I keep reading about these kits and I quote "The increased light output from a 35 watt XENON HID lamp is approximately 80% more light then a 55 watt halogen bulb. The XENON HID system will also draw less power from your vehicles electrical system".
Is this not true? I was going to order one this week-end. Would like to hear any input on this before getting one.

Bob

#12 ·
RLS said:
I do not understand what the concern is about using the Xenon HID kit. I am searching now to find a good one at a reasonable price. Am I missing something? Here is what I keep reading about these kits and I quote "The increased light output from a 35 watt XENON HID lamp is approximately 80% more light then a 55 watt halogen bulb. The XENON HID system will also draw less power from your vehicles electrical system".
Is this not true? I was going to order one this week-end. Would like to hear any input on this before getting one.

Bob
Not 100% sure, but I thought someone said they run hotter than normal bulbs and with the likelihood of a plastic reflector in the headlight that could be very bad

#14 ·
RLS said:

Bob
+1 you are 100% correct... Here are some reliable places to get them.
http://gethids.com/shop/gallery_night.asp
http://www.xenonking.com/index.html
http://www.xenondepot.com/
They have been using these in R1's with all plastic headlight housings for years with no problems..
:bigthumbsup:

G
#16 ·
I put a aftermarket HID kit in my Civic. Twice, in a 4 month period, while turning on the headlights...I blew all the headlight fuses. E-mailed the guy that I got them from and he said it is from an initial voltage draw when the lights turn on. It didnt happen enough to be a problem. I will say this though....those lights are awesome!! Never saw a brigter halogen bulb.....never saw better driving at night!!! I will prolly put a kit on my 109...just waiting for the $ to become available. BTW...got mine on E-bay....guys name on there is cartoka if you care to look him up. He sells kits for bikes for $150!! You must let him know that you need it for a motorcycle though. Also on e-bay...they have the new Bi-Zenon HID kits. These lights have the bulbs that have both high/low beam together!! A lot of people do not realse that "basic" HID kits ONLY GIVE YOU LOW BEAMS!!! In my Civic...it was sooo much brighter that I didnt need high beams though!!-HELL :evil:

www.cartoka.com

#19 ·
RLS said:
OK, thanks for the info, I will order one this week-end. The price for a bi-xenon motorcycle kit goes from $100 t o $350
Any ideas on this $100 one? And thanks for the advice. :bigthumbs: :bigthumbs:Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTO...ryZ36476QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bob
Cool Have you ordered it yet? I have been waiting for someone to do this upgrade because i do not have the extra 100.00 laying around. Post up lots of detailed installation pic's when you get it finished. :bigthumbs: :bigthumbs: :bigthumbs: :bigthumbs: :bigthumbs:

G
#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.