M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I asked the US Navy for either Norfolk, VA or Kings Bay, GA for my next duty station......and I got K Bay, USS Georgia. I should be out there sometime in Feb. And I bringin' Hawaii's baddest 9 with me! :doorag:

As soon as I get settled in and figure out what my schedule looks like, hope to hook with some of you guys for some REAL RIDIN'! I am sick and tired of just ridin' in circles....literally.

Don't get me wrong, alot of things I like about Hawaii, but it'll be SWEET to be back on Mainland USA! Been in Hawaii since 2003, with a too brief stint in New Hampshire (bbbrrrrr.....too damn cold for me, and I'm from Colorado).

Lookin' forward to meeting all of you. See ya soon!!! :bigthumbsup:

And the bonus.....my son lives in southern Ill, about 12 hours away....finally get to spend some time with him.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
Hope to see you at least at next year Mid Atlantic meet. Georgia has a great crew down there.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
:congrats: on getting located somewhere that you are excited about and getting to be closer to your son. enjoy your last few months on the island.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:congrats: on getting located somewhere that you are excited about and getting to be closer to your son. enjoy your last few months on the island.
I'd enjoy my time left here if I didn't have so much damn work:nojoke: ....such is the life of a submariner.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Didn't know you were a U boat guy. Did you read "Blind Mans Bluff"? Great read, I got a lot of respect for you guys

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't know you were a U boat guy. Did you read "Blind Mans Bluff"? Great read, I got a lot of respect for you guys
Yep, I read it. Thanks for the shout-out Chief, I appreciate it.

I don't think we have anymore U-boats though...we upgraded to nuclear power:D. I don't think I could have done this job back during WWII...crazy times back then. A lot of them paid the ultimate price.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Yep, I read it. Thanks for the shout-out Chief, I appreciate it.

I don't think we have anymore U-boats though...we upgraded to nuclear power:D. I don't think I could have done this job back during WWII...crazy times back then. A lot of them paid the ultimate price.
I've boarded "Pompano" a few times at Fishermans Wharf in S.F. Can you imagine being cooped up in a WWII sub like that? sleeping in a hammock above the torpedo tubes, and it still stinks of diesel. I loved that movie too, "U-571"? or something like that. The one with Harvey Kietel. I'm claustraphobic, so I could never do your job.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've boarded "Pompano" a few times at Fishermans Wharf in S.F. Can you imagine being cooped up in a WWII sub like that? sleeping in a hammock above the torpedo tubes, and it still stinks of diesel. I loved that movie too, "U-571"? or something like that. The one with Harvey Kietel. I'm claustraphobic, so I could never do your job.
You should have seen me when I stepped off the bus in Great Lakes. I joined at age 30....I was like "What the heck have I gotten myself into?"

I tell ya, you're so busy underway, you don't even notice the tight quarters. But it does get to some people, they usually get transferred to the surface fleet.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
You should have seen me when I stepped off the bus in Great Lakes. I joined at age 30....I was like "What the heck have I gotten myself into?"

I tell ya, you're so busy underway, you don't even notice the tight quarters. But it does get to some people, they usually get transferred to the surface fleet.
To those I say... They should have joined the Army,:a18: jajajaja. Just kidding!! From an Island boy, I can tell you that there is nothing like the main land if you hate "ridding in circles.:bigthumbsup:"

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To those I say... They should have joined the Army,:a18: jajajaja. Just kidding!! From an Island boy, I can tell you that there is nothing like the main land if you hate "ridding in circles.:bigthumbsup:"
True that bro....gonna be SWEEEET to be back!!!!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'd enjoy my time left here if I didn't have so much damn work:nojoke: ....such is the life of a submariner.
Hey Lts...I guess we have crossed paths then!! Twice now when flying into Oahu for work in the morning I have seen the submarines coming in. :bigthumbsup:
I fly in at about 6:20 AM every morning and last December I saw a Nuclear Sub motoring in with the full moon and Honolulu as the backdrop as the jet banked in for a landing. It was AMAZING. It must have been around Dec 7th or so...that was an EEEERIE morning to fly into Pearl Harbor as well!
Never knew you were a submariner either :super::doorag::bigthumbsup:.
So...I better get my bike over there and get her fixed if I want to fit a ride in before you leave!!!! You can pick which circle to ride!!! :joke:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well, I asked the US Navy for either Norfolk, VA or Kings Bay, GA for my next duty station......and I got K Bay, USS Georgia. I should be out there sometime in Feb. And I bringin' Hawaii's baddest 9 with me! :doorag:

As soon as I get settled in and figure out what my schedule looks like, hope to hook with some of you guys for some REAL RIDIN'! I am sick and tired of just ridin' in circles....literally.

Don't get me wrong, alot of things I like about Hawaii, but it'll be SWEET to be back on Mainland USA! Been in Hawaii since 2003, with a too brief stint in New Hampshire (bbbrrrrr.....too damn cold for me, and I'm from Colorado).

Lookin' forward to meeting all of you. See ya soon!!! :bigthumbsup:

And the bonus.....my son lives in southern Ill, about 12 hours away....finally get to spend some time with him.
LTS.. It would have been nice if you could have got Norfolk. We need more 109 guys here. I work at SUBFOR, the Force Weapons Officer. I was stationed in Kbay, you will enjoy the country rides! Be safe and welcome back to the mainland.

Mike (LDO LT)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Kings Bay is closer to Jacksonville, FL than anything else. I hope your transfer goes through smoothly. There are some riders in S. GA around Valdosta and at least one I know of in Savannah & probably others.

It would be nice for you to come up to N. GA sometime when you get off and ride the mountains with the tons of Metro Atlanta M109 riders. Stay in touch & visit the Georgia subforum when you get over here.

:welcome:.................:doorag:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Right Behind you

I will be right behind you brotha, Headed to Korea this summer with my follow on assignment being Fort Gordon, Agusta GA. LE are the fastest so when i get there i will be in front.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welcome to Georgia. Believe me you'll have plenty of roads to ride around here. You're not to far from Myrtle or Daytona Beach. I retired from the Air Force and live here in Warner Robins, GA. I'm originally from Atlanta but rarely ride in that direction. Too much traffic. Have a safe trip.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Too bad I am going to miss ya. I've been stationed here in Kings Bay for the last 6 years. I retire from the Navy in July. You will love it here (Bike week on 2 hours a day). I was stationed in HI too back in the 90's. There are a lot of good rides to do around here, and once I leave you will be the only 9 in Kings Bay like I am now. Too bad your not coming out sooner, I would have a house for ya :).

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Have fun in Georgia, hopefully you can make it to the Mid-Atlantic meet in June.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Lts...I guess we have crossed paths then!! Twice now when flying into Oahu for work in the morning I have seen the submarines coming in. :bigthumbsup:
I fly in at about 6:20 AM every morning and last December I saw a Nuclear Sub motoring in with the full moon and Honolulu as the backdrop as the jet banked in for a landing. It was AMAZING. It must have been around Dec 7th or so...that was an EEEERIE morning to fly into Pearl Harbor as well!
Never knew you were a submariner either :super::doorag::bigthumbsup:.
So...I better get my bike over there and get her fixed if I want to fit a ride in before you leave!!!! You can pick which circle to ride!!! :joke:
If you can work it into your schedule to come over here when your bike is done we'll spin around this one....from Cycle Sports, east to Sandy Beach, up thru K-Bay and around the north side, we'll end up in Wahiwha(?) at Kemo'os for some grubb and a brew. Just let me know via a PM a few days prior, I'm on here every day. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LTS.. It would have been nice if you could have got Norfolk. We need more 109 guys here. I work at SUBFOR, the Force Weapons Officer. I was stationed in Kbay, you will enjoy the country rides! Be safe and welcome back to the mainland.

Mike (LDO LT)
Norfolk was my first choice, as I'm a Fast Attack TM with VLS exp. Nothing available, either prior to or after my PRD.

But I'll definately be headin' that way when I can for any big runs.....DC, Laconia, etc.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts