M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PCIII finally came in and I have scheduled time with the nearest "Power Commander Approved" Dyno (2 hours away)  to get my custom map done.  :2excited:

The shop wants to run the bike at 7:00 am on the dyno to beat the 100Deg heat which I understand...

What else do I need to know / be aware of while at the dyno? Are there special settings that I need to look for? Should the bike be Dyno'd hot, Cool?? How many baseline pulls before measuring Peak HP/Tq and AF?

With me driving 2 hours to get to the shop by 6:30am, and spending 125$ - 150$ for the dyno time I want to be sure there are no suprises, and that I dont miss anything.

Basically... please give me the lowdown on the dyno as I am a dyno "Newbie"  :redfaced:   

Any help is appreciated!  :bigthumbsup:

Note: Bike setup is Dual cold air intake Mod, 8 1/2 holes drilled in outer exhaust plate (Baffles still in), new -3m JSD, and PCIII  :doorag:

·
Registered
296 Posts
JUtah....sounds great, cant wait to here your results, be sure to post them please.

First, as for baseline, if you get there 1/2 hr before the dyno and let her cool during that time that will be decent enough. I would do three pulls for the baseline first . Then let her cool the same period ( ~1/2 hr) and do your pull with the PCIII. Be sure you do the pulls in 4th gear and be sure you use SAE corrected numbers.

I am going to guess your current number is going to be ~108 rwhp and with the tune you will get up to 116 rwhp or so.....just my guess ;)

Good luck and please post all your numbers.....hope that helps......

·
Registered
514 Posts
0) Air pressure in the tires should be normal level...... don't let them overfil, that would give false numbers.
1) Bike oil level should be checked. Too fyull will hurt hp and give a bad a/f ratio reading.
2) Dyno operator pinch off the PAIR hose from the airbox to prevent a bad a/f ratio reading.
3) Your bike should be at operating temperature (not hot). They should do a few pulls before the baseliine pull... you can watch the hp gain with each run... when it starts droping off, your bike is hot.
4) If you run only in 4th gear, like most dynos do you will be ok. If you select 5th w/o the JSD installed it will be 10 hp less up top.
5) You need them to compare before and after tuning runs on the dyno chart. IOf its a dynojet... have them give you the run files. With those you can download a viewer from DJ for free and look/print at your runs.

Make sure they show you hp/torque/rpm on 3 axis... not speed in mph. Also have them use SAE correction factor.

HP on a stock bike should be more like 112hp on a dj-250 in 4th gear.... 5th as well with the JSD installed.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Great info , Jeff......just curious though, why do you think rwhp will be that high on a dynojet? I have seen four different bikes that have posted numbers from a dynojet dyno and they all seem to be in the 104-108 rwhp range in 4th gear totally stock.

Just curious...... :)

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will definately post my numbers when I get back. My test plan is:

Pull the JSD-3m off to get my Baseline. (This will leave me with Cold Air intake and drilled outer exhaust plate mods).
Install the -3m and do a run
Install the PCIII and get a run after it is all tweaked.

I think if I can pull 115+ RWHP I will be happy...   :D

I appreciate the feedback!  :bigthumbsup:  :doorag:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Shriker said:
Great info , Jeff......just curious though, why do you think rwhp will be that high on a dynojet? I have seen four different bikes that have posted numbers from a dynojet dyno and they all seem to be in the 104-108 rwhp range in 4th gear totally stock.

Just curious...... :)
Because I have already run two bikes on the dyno at Olathe Suzuki....... 112 hp in 4th gear, 103 hp in 5th. Both were tock bikes (JSD will make that number the same no matter 45th or 5th gear).

Having said that, I know that you really can't compare different bikes on different dynos on different days.

A dyno is mainly used as a tool:

1) Do a basline run
2) Make mods
3) Do another run.... right after the mods are done, same day, same dyno.

·
Registered
514 Posts
J R said:
So now each gear I go down I should gain 10 hp right :joke: :joke: :joke: :joke: Ill just dyno mine in first gear and take 40 h.p extra for bragging LOL :joke: :joke: :joke: :joke: :joke: IM just kidding with Jeff dont belive what I just wrote people ...JUST kidding :joke:
Will I learned it from some guy on the internet selling "X" or something like that....... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :a20:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shriker said:
Great info , Jeff......just curious though, why do you think rwhp will be that high on a dynojet? I have seen four different bikes that have posted numbers from a dynojet dyno and they all seem to be in the 104-108 rwhp range in 4th gear totally stock.

Just curious...... :)
Got the bike Dyno'd this morning...
Baseline pull (8 1/2" holes in outer exhaust plate, Baffles left alone, Dual Cold Air intake) 110.47Hp and 101.84 Tq. Temp 82Deg @ 50% humidity
Final pulls (Added -3m and PCIII with custom map for my bike) averaged 116 hp and 109 Tq. Temp 89Deg @ 35% humidity.

Biggest improvement was Tq in the 3000 to 4000rpm range. Dyno showed about a 25% increase in Tq through that RPM range after the PCIII.

I will post the graphs as soon as I figure out how. :doorag:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Shriker said:
JUtah....sounds great, cant wait to here your results, be sure to post them please.

First, as for baseline, if you get there 1/2 hr before the dyno and let her cool during that time that will be decent enough. I would do three pulls for the baseline first . Then let her cool the same period ( ~1/2 hr) and do your pull with the PCIII. Be sure you do the pulls in 4th gear and be sure you use SAE corrected numbers.

I am going to guess your current number is going to be ~108 rwhp and with the tune you will get up to 116 rwhp or so.....just my guess ;)

Good luck and please post all your numbers.....hope that helps......
WHOLLY SCHNIKEEEES........I know I'm good , but, like wow.  ;) Just kidding.....those sound like good numbers. I am considering drilling my pipes as well, just for the slightly added sound , until a decent power producing production pipe (4 p's) , no offense J R , comes out.Â

Jeff.....typically from what I have seen in many dyno runs for cars and bikes .....the lower the gearing (numerically higher number ratio rear end for instance) the LOWER power the dyno will SHOW. For instance usually you get the lowest power in first , then second , then third ......fourth as you know , is usually a one to one ratio , that is why its used ,becuase most vehicles manual trannies are one to one in fourth (there are exeptions though). In Fifth your power should be show HIGHER.

I keep saying "show" because obviously the engine makes what it makes constantly but because of the way inertia works with gearing and other factors on the drum of a dyno and the way its calculated lower gearing (again , numerically higher) will show less power.

Jeff, I know you are very experienced and probably know this stuff already , just thought maybe others would find it helpful. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Nice numbers, thanks for posting.

·
Registered
296 Posts
JUtah.....are these SAE corrected numbers?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Those are pretty interesting graphs. There was a lot of debate on this site a few months ago about the Power Commander vs. the Cobra fi2000 as a fuel management system. Several people favored the PCIII, because it allows you to REMOVE, as well as add fule to the A/F mix. It looks like the most effective aspect of the tuning WAS to remove fuel in the 3k - 4.5 rpm range -- which boosted the torque there quite a bit.

·
Registered
514 Posts
tomph1 said:
Those are pretty interesting graphs. There was a lot of debate on this site a few months ago about the Power Commander vs. the Cobra fi2000 as a fuel management system. Several people favored the PCIII, because it allows you to REMOVE, as well as add fule to the A/F mix. It looks like the most effective aspect of the tuning WAS to remove fuel in the 3k - 4.5 rpm range -- which boosted the torque there quite a bit.
True, but if you look at 4.5k... they start removing fuel as well.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tomph1 said:
  Those are pretty interesting graphs. There was a lot of debate on this site a few months ago about the Power Commander vs. the Cobra fi2000 as a fuel management system. Several people favored the PCIII, because it allows you to REMOVE, as well as add fule to the A/F mix. It looks like the most effective aspect of the tuning WAS to remove fuel in the 3k - 4.5 rpm range -- which boosted the torque there quite a bit.
If I understand the graph correctly they added fuel below 4.5k (Bike was pretty lean from 3k to 4500), then at 4500 rpms they transitioned to removing fuel.

A lot of what I have read around here seems to show a similar deal on our bikes... Lean below 4k and rich above it.

:doorag:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts