M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be in Daytona for a couple days then head South . My question is , whats the ride like goin down Hwy 1 instead of I95 . Like most people , Im not much for interstate riding especially when theres a nicer route close by . Any input is appreciated

·
Registered
608 Posts
Gonna be in Daytona for a couple days then head South . My question is , whats the ride like goin down Hwy 1 instead of I95 . Like most people , Im not much for interstate riding especially when theres a nicer route close by . Any input is appreciated
Did that run a couple of years ago. As long as you are prepared to go through a lot of cities along the beach at a much slower pace, it is a good run. Always easy stop offs compared to the intersate but it will take a LOT longer, particularly past Jupiter Inlet. The farther south you get the more city like Highway 1 becomes.

Hwy 1 from Daytona to Brevard County will be fine once past New Smyrna. Then it clogs up in Brevard county, opens up again for awhile etc.

I just moved from Fla. to my current home in Alabama. I rode down to Key West twice. The Keys part is a fun run. Miami to about Palm Beach....not so much fun.

Make sure you go to Irish Kevin's when you are there.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
It's just BEAUTIFUL

When you get there check in with Gregg (Southernmost109).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did that run a couple of years ago. As long as you are prepared to go through a lot of cities along the beach at a much slower pace, it is a good run. Always easy stop offs compared to the intersate but it will take a LOT longer, particularly past Jupiter Inlet. The farther south you get the more city like Highway 1 becomes.

Hwy 1 from Daytona to Brevard County will be fine once past New Smyrna. Then it clogs up in Brevard county, opens up again for awhile etc.

I just moved from Fla. to my current home in Alabama. I rode down to Key West twice. The Keys part is a fun run. Miami to about Palm Beach....not so much fun.

Make sure you go to Irish Kevin's when you are there.
Thanks ! This is our 3rd year in a row to go to KW the first week of December . Last 2 years we trailored down to Orlando then rode down on the Turnpike . Just want to change it up a bit . Your right also about the ride from Miami to KW is awsome . Just knowing the weather at home isnt fit for much and bein down there makes it that much better !

BTW were in the Huntsville Al area

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thanks ! This is our 3rd year in a row to go to KW the first week of December . Last 2 years we trailored down to Orlando then rode down on the Turnpike . Just want to change it up a bit . Your right also about the ride from Miami to KW is awsome . Just knowing the weather at home isnt fit for much and bein down there makes it that much better !

BTW were in the Huntsville Al area
Hi sorta neighbor. Coast here. Stays warmer than you.

I don't miss Florida at all except being able to ride all winter long (Best time of year to ride). It gets a little colder here in Alabama than I expected!!

Since you have been there 3 times, you know where to go.

Also you can consider the run down the west coast side til you cross over the EverGlades and then down. That coast has some nice spots that are not as "overdone" as the east side.

Maybe you may want to trailer down to Pennykamph (sp) and ride in from there?

Have a fun trip. I do miss Fantasy Fest there.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I would definitely avoid I-95 in South Florida, too much traffic. I guess #1 is OK if you have that kind of time. I usually jump on The Florida Turnpike around Fort Pierce and then head south. I take the Turnpike from Fort Pierce south to Pompano then I jump on the Sawgrass Express Way till I hit I-75. From I-75 I jump on to #27 through the Everglades on to Krome Avenue which takes you to Florida City in Homestead. This route avoids allot of traffic and is still relatively quick. From Florida city I take Card Sound Road to US1 South to Key West.
Look me up when you show up. Maybe we can grab a drink or a ride. I'll PM you my contact info. Gregg

·
Registered
608 Posts
I would definitely avoid I-95 in South Florida, too much traffic. I guess #1 is OK if you have that kind of time. I usually jump on The Florida Turnpike around Fort Pierce and then head south. I take the Turnpike from Fort Pierce south to Pompano then I jump on the Sawgrass Express Way till I hit I-75. From I-75 I jump on to #27 through the Everglades on to Krome Avenue which takes you to Florida City in Homestead. This route avoids allot of traffic and is still relatively quick. From Florida city I take Card Sound Road to US1 South to Key West.
Look me up when you show up. Maybe we can grab a drink or a ride. I'll PM you my contact info. Gregg
Totally agree with this route as the best way to make the best time. Expressway is better than Interstate, but it can get to be boring on a bike. Lots of miles of pretty much nothing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
gonna do the same thing Dec 11 and 12 from FT lauderdale, rentin a HD dyna fatbob...will be ridin with a road king...:eek:

·
Registered
608 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOOT !!!!! Headed out Friday at lunch . Gonna go to Macon Ga for the night then on down to Daytona for a day . Tour the speedway and mess around . Headed down to Ft Lauderdale for a night then to KW . UPS'd a box of clothes to the hotel in KW yesterday . Cant wait !

·
Registered
608 Posts
So what route did you decide on?

Have a great trip. It is sooo much fun there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks !

Lookin real hard at doin the Sawgrass/75/27/krome route that was suggested . It looks way better than what we have been in the past .

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thanks !

Lookin real hard at doin the Sawgrass/75/27/krome route that was suggested . It looks way better than what we have been in the past .
Eat at the Underpass in South Daytona. Don't know how you are headed to Ft. L so I won't offer any eattin stops. If choosing between I-95 and Expresseway....take EXpswy. Worth paying the toll price.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We'll try that ( Underpass ) . And any suggestions on getting from Daytona to Ft Lauderdale besides 95 or the Turnpike or Hwy 1 ????

Eat at the Underpass in South Daytona. Don't know how you are headed to Ft. L so I won't offer any eattin stops. If choosing between I-95 and Expresseway....take EXpswy. Worth paying the toll price.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Oh i dunno.....newer harleys are a great highway bikes......obviously i chose the 9 but the dyna is the same money...just never fit my needs. Besixes its not the bike its the rider......,he he he... ...
That is like trying to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.

GoldWings are fantastic on the Highway....but.......:barf:

·
Registered
608 Posts
We'll try that ( Underpass ) . And any suggestions on getting from Daytona to Ft Lauderdale besides 95 or the Turnpike or Hwy 1 ????
Nah you don't have a lot of choices. Fla isn't known for its ease of getting places.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Unfortunately , the ride down ain't much to look at.

Be sure to check out the loop in Daytona of you haven't done it already. I like it, every biker who passes through Daytona should check it out at least once.

But if you end up taking the 27/krome route, you can check out

Cafe 27 on US27 which is a cool outdoor truck/biker bar/eats with live music on some days.

But once you get off the Turnpike and into the keys, it will be the nicest ride in the state.

·
Registered
608 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts