M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody familiar with this area ? Ive never been and hoping the weather will hold out for some nice riding . Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
824 Posts
I love that area! The Dragon is only about 2 hours north, there are lots of great roads, head north over the mountain to Hiawasee and just ride, War Woman Rd is out of Clayton, go to The Highlands, awesome ride, check out Wayah Rd just west of Franklyn.
All kinds of good riding, just get on the bike and go!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much ! I looked at some of what your talking about on Google maps but where is the highlands ? I couldnt find that .

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Thanks so much ! I looked at some of what your talking about on Google maps but where is the highlands ? I couldnt find that .
Highlands, NC take hwy 28 from Franklin, NC and ride up to Highlands, NC. There's a few waterfalls along the way to stop and check out as well.

Helen is nice but is very busy with car & bike traffic on the weekends so be mindfull of that.

Also ride Hwy 60 From Dahlonega, GA all the way up to Morganton, GA

Check out hwy 348 just south of downtown Helen.

Go here to see a thread on a bunch of us doing this ride last Saturday here http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136001 & here http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135746

If you look on the map you can loop alot of these roads together like this http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...693826312169474441.000492a911faeb5314cbe&z=11

Also ride Hwy 197 along lake Burton if you have time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Been there very nice ride and alot to see. Now that the leaves are changing you will have to stopand take pictures.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I am about to share a neat little backroad that I promised to say anything about. Traffic into Helen can be a real pain, but if you come in from the north or from Cleveland there is a backroad that gets you right into the heart of Helen, it runs on the west side of the little creek. Great discovery since I was there on Labor day weekend, cars were parked on the road and we just turned like we were going to Cleveland, took a right and ended up in Helen in about 5 minutes, sorry I forgot the name of the road but it is on the GPS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got back . What a ride !!! Hwy 60 to Morganton might be my new favorite . Went up to Brasstown Bald and around Lake Burton , Dillard, bunch of others I cant remember . Already making plans to go back in July . Gonna go on a Thursday instead of Friday this time to get some more riding in .

Had a bunch of really good food and met lots of very nice people .

When you see signs that say " steep grade and winding roads next 35 miles " it gets you excited about riding :bigthumbsup:

This has kind of spoiled me for riding around here .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts