M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to get some feedback from the experienced folk on here about my choice of first sports bikes. This fall I intend to get a Hayabusa as my first sports bike. I currently ride an 09 M90.

For those who have gone from cruisers to sport bikes, can you share your experience and recommendations? I am a responsible adult and do not plan on pushing the bike to its limits however I want a sports bike to complement my cruiser. I have a total of 5000 miles of riding experience all on the M90 so I guess I am a relative newbie to some on here and definitely a newbie on sports bikes.

For what its worth I have taken the Motorcycle Safety Foundation BRC and taking the ERC next month.

·
Registered
179 Posts
....get a Hayabusa as my first sports bike. I currently ride an 09 M90.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
......Seriously??!???!???:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
112 Posts
It will tear your head off...!
It will bite you in the arse at some point - like a pet Tiger!

If that's what you want, then you will be very pleased...

Are you up for It???????????

·
Registered
685 Posts
I started on a bike that no one thinks I should have so my advice is this:
If you can respect the power and handle the weight ANY bike can be your
first. The only thing you need to remember is that the more power the
more catastrophic your riding mistake will be.

·
Registered
248 Posts
First off the saftey course will NEVER prepare you for the type of power that a busa has. Now that this is out of the way keep in mind that you are going from a mid level cruisier to the most powerful production bike around. So things can get out of control real fast. But if you take it easy, learn the bike, get comfortable on it you should be ok. The hardest thing you will find with that bike is to keep the little devil sitting on you right shoulder in check:evil: The BUSA is one VERY FINE machine you need to respect it more than even us 9 owners. Ultimately it is your call and only you can firgure out what is right for you know matter what other people think.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
This decision, is alot like a decision to main line heroin. You may survive it with just a high, or you may just kill yourself. Go with a Gsxr 750, or a R6, and work your way up. JMHO

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
:agree:with knucklehead. My first sportbike was a Gixxer 750 and I LOVED it. More than enough power, and handled like a dream. I still miss that bike....sometimes....but then I look at my 9 and it goes away! :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
It depends on you. No two people are the same. You have some experience riding, so if you know you are disciplined enough to keep yourself under control, then why waste money starting with something less than what you want.

If, however, you cannot lay off the juice, then start smaller. I for one would not be able to lay off, so I probably will never own sport bike period.

My $0.02

·
Registered
624 Posts
Personally i don't know why people ask other people whether they should get this bike or should i get that bike, No one knows your capabilities or limitations better than you do. If its what you want and you can control yourself long enough to get use to it, then just do it.
Here's another line of thought, you ask people what they think and the majority say go for it and a week later you have a spill, do you come back on here saying well if i did not listen to you guys i would not have fallen off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
why

My previous bike to the 9 was a busa. Unless you can muster up some extrem restraint for the first 6 months I'd go with a smaller bike. All the liter sport bikes are wicked fast and will make you do things. Playing around on a 600 without some experience can still bite you hard. Doing it on a liter bike can kill you. If you're following a car and decide to go around it agressively and you gas it without counter steering properly you can end up hitting the back of the car. That is how fast these bike are. Think formula one on two wheels!!! Don't do it!

·
Registered
538 Posts
My previous bike to the 9 was a busa. Unless you can muster up some extrem restraint for the first 6 months I'd go with a smaller bike. All the liter sport bikes are wicked fast and will make you do things. Playing around on a 600 without some experience can still bite you hard. Doing it on a liter bike can kill you. If you're following a car and decide to go around it agressively and you gas it without counter steering properly you can end up hitting the back of the car. That is how fast these bike are. Think formula one on two wheels!!! Don't do it!
I agree 100%!!! I come from a sportbike background! The power, acceleration, the handle will eat you alive!!! Things can get sketchy very fast and sportbikes react totally different than cruisers. If I where you, I would be looking at the GXR750 for a first sportbike(Its no SLOUCH either)!!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wouldn't do it bro...but that's just me. Like others have said, only you know your limitations and if you can respect the throttle then go for it. I would highly recommending getting a pre 2005 600 or gsxr 750 to start out on. I started out on a 2001 Honda F4i and rode it for a year and a half then jumped up to the 9. I plan on getting a Busa next year sometime, but that's only because I was able to get used to the 9 so quickly and I think I can handle the Busa now. Again, this is just my opinion. Whatever you do, just make sure you are happy doing it.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
IMHO you need to ask yourself why you got an M90 rather than the M109? If the answer is because the M109 was too big, then a Busa is out of your league. That being said, the Busa is an awesome bike. If your a "go big or go home" kind of guy, I say go for it. BUT......purchasing the M90 rather than the M109 says that your NOT that type of guy. :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Personally i don't know why people ask other people whether they should get this bike or should i get that bike, No one knows your capabilities or limitations better than you do. If its what you want and you can control yourself long enough to get use to it, then just do it.
Here's another line of thought, you ask people what they think and the majority say go for it and a week later you have a spill, do you come back on here saying well if i did not listen to you guys i would not have fallen off.
:agree: but just be warned that the hayabusa is a very, very, very powerful bike. and since it appears from your OP that the only seat time you have on a bike has been on a M90, then just be careful and take things slow. there are always going to be people that will say get it or don't get it, but in the end you will have to make that decision. one things is for sure, if you get the busa and you manage to control it enough to do a WOT shot through all the gears.....it will take days to wipe the smile off your face. :evil:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think the best place to ask this question would be a hayabusa forum. Make sure to post a link to the thread here. It will make for some entertaining reading.

·
Registered
602 Posts
This decision, is alot like a decision to main line heroin. You may survive it with just a high, or you may just kill yourself. Go with a Gsxr 750, or a R6, and work your way up. JMHO
I understand the idea behind what you're saying, but this used to be more true than it is nowadays. 600cc sportbikes have INSANE power to weight ratios that end up being pretty similar to a Hayabusa. Sure, they don't have the same power output as a busa, but they also weigh about 100-150lbs LESS than a busa. Not to mention that they're geared taller to rev more to get you into the power band.

I guess what I'm getting at is that you can seriously get yourself into trouble just as quickly on a 600 as you could on a busa if you don't take it easy.

HOWEVER - having said that, given the weight difference, the 600-750cc sportbike (pick your manuf) is going to be easier to handle to some extent than the Busa. Lighter + shorter wheel base = more 'flickable".

Either bike (600 vs. busa) will feel light in comparison to the M90 or an M109R.

Having been riding the B-King now for a while (same motor as the Busa), I can tell you that the power delivery is quite manageable. It comes on REALLY smooth, so it's fine just rolling around town, or if you want to rip it wide open.

However - to the OP - I don't care how reserved you are, you WILL want to open a Busa up now and again. I promise you. It's not a bike for those that just like to loaf around town, it wants to get out and run.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts