M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I saw that car on that science channel show "Cool Fuels" I believe. VERY kewl concept, but I seem to recall that the fuel cell for that thing costs more than most peoples houses.. I would really love to see them on the street tho, we could finally start to give oil the middle finger (except for our bikes but then they already get 40 mpg 8) )

·
Registered
450 Posts
kwel :a18:

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
what the greenies neglect to tell you (or maybe they don't know) is that no energy is free or pollution free. From what I understand, the process of creating the batteries for the hybrid cars, is worse for the environment than the oil was. Plus there's no safe way to dispose of these once the car is worn out. Like JR said the batteries are extremely expensive to replace. One guy told me closer to $5000 for replacement and installation. You aren't saving any money at all with the 10 to 20 more mpg's.
As for hydrogen fuel cells, they don't run off water as they'd lead you to be believe. Has to be pure compressed hydrogen which takes lots of energy to make. Usually at a plant which is burning tons of oil or coal. So either way you're still polluting and you're still using resources.

This is my understanding from the reading that I've done if there's anybody out there that works in these industries and has better info, please fill us in. I'd like to know more.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I first heard about the GM AUTOnomy chassis back in 2001, it reportedly has a 20-year lifespan. They said you could buy new bodies to bolt onto the chassis when styles change and keep the "skateboard" as it was known. Here are a few other shots with a different body and other links...

...oh, please do not hit the "Quote" button should you wish to reply, it would take forever to load for the folks with slower connections. Thanks!

LG :bigthumbsup:

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/adv_tech/images/gallery_economy_mccormick/slide2.html

http://archive.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2002/paris/preview/gm-hywire/

·
Registered
207 Posts
The future always scares people.First denial,then grudging acceptance then "oh yeah I saw it comin',was there ever any doubt." Things change,human nature doesn't.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
J R said:
Kinda like the electric hybred cars they sell now to people and tell um thye get 60 m.p.g but forget to tell um they will need a new battery for the thing in a couple years for 15-2500 bucks.
Hmmm, I hate to disagree with you JR, but I read an article in Consumer Reports about Hybrid cars, and none of them claim to get anywhere near 60mpg. And the batteries are extremely reliable and they say should last at least 10 years before needing replacement, and I doubt they will cost anywhere near what you estimated to replace. In fact most of them only get about 7-10mpg more than their all gas equivalent car does (in fact the Honda Civic Hybrid only gets 3mpg better than the non-hybrid Civic ::) ). They went on to point out that the hybrid cars actually cost more to own than their gas equivalent cars do when you figure out Total Cost Of Ownership (TCOO). Start off with a $4,000-$10,000 premium for the hybrid version of the same car, which adds more finance charges, then add in higher insurance rates to insure the more expensive car, higher costs for maintenance and repairs, to only save 5 or 10mpg?? They figured out that even if you drove the car for 10 years your TCOO for the hybrid is still higher than if you had bought the non-hybrid car in the first place. That doesn't stop lots of people from running out and buying Toyota Prius' though, though that is the best (most reliable) car of the current crop of hybrids out there, and is the only hybrid car that doesn't have a gasoline equivalent model available. ;) :doorag:

·
Registered
4 Posts
When automobile was invented it runs on moonshine (ethanol). Now, big oil companies are using their political influence to prevent consumer from using it. The same will happen to Hydrogen.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
I heard there was a car that ran on air, had some sort of big "sail" on top of it. Big Oil found out about it and bought up all the patents on wind so we'll never have it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I bought my gal her second Prius last year, she loves'em. The last hurricane we had, I sent her and her girlfriend over to Naples in my twin turbo Bentley Arnage. When they got back I asked her how she liked that Bentley, she said "Oh I liked it just fine, but I love my Prius more."

Today when she left the house, she puts down her window while backing out of the garage and says, "I love my car, man!"

Women :dontknow:

LG

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
LionsGate said:
This one doesn't have much wind protection. Someone on this forum will probably buy one then try to find a windshield that looks good on it. ::) :joke:
Never mind the fact that it also has no seat. :a20:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
cbxer55 said:
$256 would have bought 119 gallons of gas, that is 5950 miles.
Then it will need a new back tire, around $200.
That is 93 gallons, or 4651 miles.
Damn, gas sure is cheap in Oklahoma! We're still paying over $3/gallon for regular!! :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dan Tanna said:
The future always scares people.First denial,then grudging acceptance then "oh yeah I saw it comin',was there ever any doubt." Things change,human nature doesn't.
Nice, one of the most concise and perceptive things I've ever read online, or anywhere for that matter......

OZcruizer

"More human than human, that is our motto". BLADERUNNER ( A vision of the future).

·
Registered
108 Posts
cbxer55 said:
When you stop and do the math, even motorcycles are not really cost efficient.
If you can learn to work on them yourself, they get close though.
Just look at the tires, they cost big bucks, and dont last for sheet.
Then if you are paying the stealer for service, more money out the window.
Look at my wifs Suzuki M50.
First service cost $256.00 due to vavle adjustment.
I do not have a manual yet, so I let them do it.
$256 would have bought 119 gallons of gas, that is 5950 miles.
So the bike wont even start saving for that long.
Then it will need a new back tire, around $200.
That is 93 gallons, or 4651 miles.
So what we save on gas we spend elsewhere.
HOW MUCH DID YOU SAVE???

I really dont give a hoot about gas mileage.
I ride because I enjoy riding, PERIOD!
People keep asking what my 109 gets for mileage.
I just shrug my shoulders and say dont know, dont care.

I dont think there is any method of transportation that will save you big bucks.
Even horses have to eat, and then you get big blobs of horse poo all over the place.

Bicycle?
Only if you live close to work or have lots of time.

Scooters might be the only way to big savings!
I would not be caught dead on one of them things.

Robert Hill
Midwest City, OK.
LOVED IT ALL AND COULDN'T AGREE MORE !!!

OZcruizer

·
Registered
721 Posts
DaltonH said:
I saw that car on that science channel show "Cool Fuels" I believe. VERY kewl concept, but I seem to recall that the fuel cell for that thing costs more than most peoples houses.. I would really love to see them on the street tho, we could finally start to give oil the middle finger (except for our bikes but then they already get 40 mpg 8) )
Bikes too :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8228479/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts