M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
pulse plugs

I tried those plugs in my f150 and they are crap. Noticed from the first start they did not start as well as oem plugs also almost did not pass emission test. after about 2 weeks the truck started bogging. Put the old plugs back in and truck ran great again. When I removed the pluse plugs I noticed that the ceramic was burnt so not worth the 25.00 per plug???

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Simply put a spark is a spark. Whether you ignite a fuel spray with a standard plug or one of those so called super plugs.

If you modify the duration of a spark like make it a few milliseconds longer you can make sure you burn all of the fuel in the cylinder. The only thing is with fuel injection the engine is so efficient that adding duration to the spark really makes no difference what so ever. If you have a carburetor it will usually help because they are not that efficient.

The thing about plugs is that when you need a tune up you could put regular plugs in and probably notice the same amount of get up and go as you would with a super plug.

Trust me I tried many different things in drag racing years ago.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
They did the same thing with spark plug wires. Basically they add resistance to the conduit and that makes the coil have to build more energy before it can jump the gap. I don't know the spec on our bikes coils. But if they don't have a lot of reserve energy to fire the capacitor and then jump the gap your going to have poor performance. I have used the wires and when used with an MSD unit and a 50,000 volt coil and multi strike capability we saw about 8 hp on a 500 hp street motor. On a 125 hp bike I doubt you would feel it.
bob

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've dealt with many of the so called newest and greatest in spark plugs. I have found that many of the changes are basically gimmicks that really don't improve performance or economy. In fact, many times changing the plugs for a different one (except for heat range) causes more problems than helps. JMHO.

P.S. I'm an ASE master tech and deal with these things on a daily basis, but I admit that I haven't tested a lot of things on the track.

·
Registered
6 Posts
bully contol and air intakes

Thanks for the input and I think I'll take your advice.
howdy

; would like to known how the bully contoller and the bully air intakes performed on your bike . easy to tune ,more horsepower , better foel econmy?

dmaneh

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts