M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to repaint my 9, but having it done is very expensive. I've been dootling around the internet looking at do-it-youselfers who painted their bikes themselves and it doesn't sound that difficult to do, and it can be done for a fraction of the cost of what a paint shop would charge. Have any of you here painted your 9s? I did a search for a "How to" on the subject, but nothing came up.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What kind of paint job are you looking to do?
I'm looking to go with a Corvette red (either rally red or torch red, both are opaque colors). I want the finish to be at least as smooth as the factory finish, but I want it thicker and more durable than the factory paint. Not looking to go with any striping, murals, or anything of the sort. Pretty much just a straight color.

I know automotive parts stores, and automotive paint stores sell cans of propellant, spray nozzels, paint jars, etc., that are very inexpensive, as well as all the paint, thinner, prep solutions, sand paper, surface fillers, etc. I would need as well. I just don't know all the details of what needs to be done and how to do it.

For example, how much does the factory finish need to be sanded, and how fine of grit do I need to go down to? Which type of paint would I need to be compatable to spray over the prepped factory paint? What type of primer would I need, or would I even need it? How many coats of paint should I apply? Do I need to sand between coats? How long do I let each coat cure before applying the next coat? See what I mean? There's actually a lot to painting and if you screw up one step, it'll show up when you're done.

I would love to do it myself, but I just don't know if there's enough "how to" info available to guide me through the entire process.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Grampi,

I used to paint before joining the Navy, it isn't as easy as you think it would be. Going and getting inexpensive sprayers and all the materials that you need isn't the way to go. There are a lot of variables that you need to know, ie type of paint, getting the surfaces prepped properly, nothing worse than having a great paint job on a surface that wasnt prepped for paint correctly. It can give you a really big headache. The best thing you can do is find someone that paints and have them paint it on the side (best way to save some money) Heck I used to paint and I am going to pay someone to paint mine. If you are going to try and do it yourself, do yourself a huge favor and get some flat metal and do some practice with some cheap paint. A motorcycle is not the platform that you want to learn on (all the curves will make the "run monster" come out) Good luck, also you have heard that there are some things that you don't want to skimp on.....I think paint is one of those things.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You are obviously a talented painter!!!! Looks awesome. I painted my VTX1800, did some flames and barbed wire. Didn't look too bad. Just keep in mind not having a paint booth and all the proper tools, big headaches!!!!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grampi,

I used to paint before joining the Navy, it isn't as easy as you think it would be. Going and getting inexpensive sprayers and all the materials that you need isn't the way to go. There are a lot of variables that you need to know, ie type of paint, getting the surfaces prepped properly, nothing worse than having a great paint job on a surface that wasnt prepped for paint correctly. It can give you a really big headache. The best thing you can do is find someone that paints and have them paint it on the side (best way to save some money) Heck I used to paint and I am going to pay someone to paint mine. If you are going to try and do it yourself, do yourself a huge favor and get some flat metal and do some practice with some cheap paint. A motorcycle is not the platform that you want to learn on (all the curves will make the "run monster" come out) Good luck, also you have heard that there are some things that you don't want to skimp on.....I think paint is one of those things.
Last summer I took my bike to a guy who I've known for over 30 years and had him give me an estimate just to shoot a few coats of clearcoat (because the clearcoat from the factory is so damn thin) and he wanted $600 just to do that. I've got a feeling that even finding a painter to do it "on the side" it would still end up costing me at least $1000, and I just can't afford that right now. If I could do it myself for $300-$400 that sounds very interesting, but it would depend on how it looked when I was done.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Buy you a good clean paint brush and a can of latex enamal, put three or four coats of paint then wet sand out the brush marks.:joke:
If you don't have the proper equipment that's the only why you can do it.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Square Rounder painted his own bike. He is a member here. Ask him. His looks damn good.
You are the only one here that saw the green version that is under the current flat black.

Painting is not bad if you have the tools but it can be a real mess.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Its a lot of work if u want it to be perfect. I placed a fairing ( like a batwing) on my bike and jus to paint the fairing was going to cost me a $ 1000.00 i bought the paint which was a lower grade of PPG and it was $ 350. and they couldnt match the paint to the 07 Le blue color. I checked with color rite to buy the paint they r asking 450.00 for the blue and for the base and the white paint.

So Im just going to paint the whole bike instead for 2k with a house of colors high end ppg.

But hell if you think u can do it. try it only one way to learn.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Buy you a good clean paint brush and a can of latex enamal, put three or four coats of paint then wet sand out the brush marks.:joke:
With the exception of the latex part, this could actually be done (in theory anyway), but it sure would take a hellovalot of sanding.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
pratice

I would like to repaint my 9, but having it done is very expensive. I've been dootling around the internet looking at do-it-youselfers who painted their bikes themselves and it doesn't sound that difficult to do, and it can be done for a fraction of the cost of what a paint shop would charge. Have any of you here painted your 9s? I did a search for a "How to" on the subject, but nothing came up.
Buy one pint find something to pratice on not as easy as it seems

·
Registered
319 Posts
A quality paint job requires great equipment and skill. You'll be very disappointed if you try to do it yourself.

Oh and everything looks good in pictures on the net. In person, crappy paint is very noticeable.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
A quality paint job requires great equipment and skill. You'll be very disappointed if you try to do it yourself.

Oh and everything looks good in pictures on the net. In person, crappy paint is very noticeable.
:agree:x2

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Now when you say you painted your's, are talking about just the murals, or did you do all the painting?
well yeah I did everything, but I've also been painting cars since I was 16 years old. Only been airbrushing for the last 4 years.

Painting is like art, i think you have to have a certain amount of built in ability. There are many books you can read though that will give you the basics of prep. and application. To give you an idea though, I had probably $500 in materials alone on my last paint job, the bio-mech version and probably 80hrs of time so you'd have to use that as a guide to whether or not it's really cheaper to do it yourself based on what your times worth.

Here's a quick basic for you though:

If the stock paint is still good, no dents or deep chips or scratches: wet sand with 800 grit sandpaper, all of it till dull. be careful on edges because the stock paint is paper thin and you can go through it to plastic in just a few passes. wash and clean the residue, preferably with a good post sanding cleaner like KC-10 House of Kolor cleaner. Then you spray your basecoat (urethane) 3 light coats, you can't hammer it on! and wait till it's dry to the touch between coats. Modern basecoat paints will dry in about 5 minutes. Then within 2 hours or so you need to apply your clear.
Clear is actually easy and HARD at the same time. A catalyzed clear can kill you if you're not wearing the proper respirator. Spraying it is somewhat difficult but if you figured out the basecoat you can probably do the clear. You don't have to be great with clear because it can always be sanded and polished no matter how bad you do. You just save yourself a lot of labor by spraying it right.
So 3 coats of clear is plenty over a solid color, no graphics. ´specially a "high build" clear like UC35 HoK paint. about 15 minutes between coats. First coat a very light tack coat, the next 2 are medium wet coats. Let it cure 2 days and then you can go back and sand out any runs or dust, or most likely what you'll have, orange peel, which is rough, dry looking spots.

Back to the wet sanding with 1000 grit then 1500 then 2000 then 3000 grit till it's super smooth (without sanding back through into your basecoat because then you get to start all over again) then you get a wool pad and a medium cut compound. this will in most cases polish back to shiny gloss pretty quick, then you hit it with a foam pad and swirl remover compound an shine of to show quality. Oh yeah don't burn through the paint with the buffer.

So now you can see why painters get paid so much. I didn't even cover everything there, just the basic stuff. It's taken me 24 years to learn all this and I still screw stuff up and have to fix it on my own dime.

I don't even get out my paint gun out anymore for less than $1800, for a solid color paint job, it's way too much work.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts