M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty dissapointed with the horn. Air horns are not an option and with all the cagers on cell phones 2,000 watt stereo's, eating, doing their hair and makeup, reading the paper, etc, I always like to have the loudest possible. What do you guys think? I saw some in the Riders Warehouse Catalog made by Fiamm called the Freeway Blaster Horns. 132 db. 3.5" x 3.5" x 2.5". Haven't found the horn or honrs on my 109 yet anyway so not sure if it will even fit. Most surprising point is these horns are only $15 each. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Bruno said:
I am pretty dissapointed with the horn. Air horns are not an option and with all the cagers on cell phones 2,000 watt stereo's, eating, doing their hair and makeup, reading the paper, etc, I always like to have the loudest possible. What do you guys think? I saw some in the Riders Warehouse Catalog made by Fiamm called the Freeway Blaster Horns. 132 db. 3.5" x 3.5" x 2.5". Haven't found the horn or honrs on my 109 yet anyway so not sure if it will even fit. Most surprising point is these horns are only $15 each. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I too am anxious to change the horns. On my last bike (Boulevard C50) I used the Fiamm Freeway Blasters. Don't bother ordering them online. If you want to see them up close, they sell them at almost any auto parts store -- AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilleys. etc.

They are pretty loud -- about as loud as the horn on my GMC Yukon. Not ear splitting, but a vast improvement over the scooter horn Suzuki gives you.

They come as a pair. You can install only the low-tone if you want, but I wanted both tones. There is no way you can fit it behind the radiator, which is where Suzuki puts the stock horn. On the C50, I stuffed them both behind the right side cover. With the two horns and the relay, it was an extremely tight fit, but with much bending of brackets and so forth, it was manageable.

I'm not sure about mounting options for the FBs on the M109R. I am leaning toward getting the Yamaha Stratliner horns. Now, those MFers are LOUD. Much louder than the Fiamm horns, and weatherproof too. If I get those, I may mount them on the swingarm or somewhere underneath somehow. I've been kinda lazy looking into this so far...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had delivered to me yesterday - and plan to install this weekend - a nautilus compact/stebel airhorn :bigthumbsup: from Erston Moto Seats (http://www.erston.com/stebel.htm). Just hope I can find a space for it... it's larger than I thought it would be. Ah well, I'll put this bad boy in the truck and look for an alternate for the 109 if I can't find space.

J

*Edit*
Oh yeah - and here's a good review/write-up on it: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/

Excerpt :
Keep this in mind: sound energy doubles for every 3 points you go up in the decibel scale. It means that the Stebel Nautilus horn, which produces 139 dB of sound, puts out 800% of the sound energy of the more expensive FIAMM Freeway Blaster, which only produces 130 dB of sound energy.
J

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man if you can shoe horn that thing in there I would love to see how you do it. That looks like just what I am looking for. I just looked over the bike, but looking at the dimensions I don't see where it could go. Is it possible, and remember I am still a newbie to this bike, that there may be room under the headlight cowl?? It would be louder for sure, but maybe, just mabe there would be room under there somewhere.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Bruno said:
that there may be room under the headlight cowl?? It would be louder for sure, but maybe, just mabe there would be room under there somewhere.
That's not a bad idea. I don't know if this Stebel would fit. It's pretty big. But I'll bet you could get something up under there.

I am also thinking, perhaps on the frame cross member in front of the rear wheel? Or behind the right side cover on the upper part of the frame?

Don't forget, you gotta relay and fuse this thing, not to mention tap into the current horn wiring so it will work off the switch.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you put a loud, afermarket horn inside the headlight nacelle, I guarantee you'll only honk it once. The sound will be directed right back at your head. :yikes: Just one guy's opinion, but it needs to mounted as far forward as possible, just not where it will deafen YOU... lol Sound is somewhat directional and if it's not pointed out in front, no one will be able to tell where that infernal noise is coming from. :realmad:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Trouble_Is said:
Sound is somewhat directional and if it's not pointed out in front, no one will be able to tell where that infernal noise is coming from. :realmad:
Car horns are almost never pointed like that. And besides, it's not that often that the thing you're honking at will be right smack in front of you. It really just needs to be somewhere on the bike for someone to tell it's coming from the bike. Unless you mistakenly get one of those ventriloquist horns. :D

I do agree that the nacelle will reflect some of the sound back at you, which may not be great.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hmm, now youve got me thinking ab out getting rid of it too.

Maybe 2 small (better looking than this) horns like this? Mounted where the front reflectors are near the brake caliper?
Is there a reflector on each side? Does anyone think that would be too low to the ground? You could effectively get over
200 db with 2 horns easy!

·
Registered
817 Posts
sledzep01 said:
You could effectively get over
200 db with 2 horns easy!

How do you figure?

If you get 2 100 dB horns and add them together, the result is 103 dB. Decibels are logarithmic.

(I am an audio engineer and used to teach this stuff at Purdue University. :D )

·
Registered
817 Posts
J R said:
stock horn,watch for finger and paddle lock in my pocket if ya really piss me off :evil:
I miss the days when you could unscrew the gas cap without a key. That always made for good throwin'. :verymad:

For some of you who intend to install larger horns, please let us know where you have success mounting them. The stock horn mounting area has almost no additional clearance, so we'll have to get creative location-wise.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Wanted said:
How do you figure?

If you get 2 100 dB horns and add them together, the result is 103 dB. Decibels are logarithmic.

(I am an audio engineer and used to teach this stuff at Purdue University. :D )
It works for me cause I doint know what I'm talking about.... Truly I was just guessing. I know squat about audio stuff except Zeppelin sounds better louder! :clap2: :clap2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have to agree the horn on the M109R is for a little girl's scooter. Honking it, is like, "Please get out of my way." I think my balls shrink everytime I touched it.

Hum... Driving down the road, car pulls in front of me, do I use the "little girly horn" or Splat..... screw it.......................................... Splat....

Needless to say, I want a new horn too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought twice before posting the question because this bike being sporty and all, I thought maybe you guys would not be interested. I have Rivco air horns on my wing and had them on my Venture and on my recently traded Road Star. Let me tell you when those babies bark, you got people's attention, but they just don't fit on this beauty, but neither does this wimpy horn. Truthfully, I did not even think of the horn until 30 seconds after I pulled out of the dealership and a young girl blew a stop sign and pulled right out in front of me and nearly T-boned me. I blew the horn and even with blowing the horn I could hear her stereo blairing over that wimpy sucker. Thus my search began for what would be a good alternative. From this thread I can see that I an not alone. Problem seems to be that there is just not a whole lot a room to put anything else in spaces left from the bikes engineers. But, I have tremendous faith in my new brothers. If there is a way, I am sure somone will find it, share it and then we will all reap the benefits. If by chance, I find the way, I will gladly share it as well. Thanks guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am currently searching for nice windshield for my 109. Hmm, could a nice horn be fitted behind a shied adapted so the horn nozle can be placed through the shield, and then covered with a good mesh so it looks like a covered vent? Whew, that was a mouth full. Sorry I think so complicated. I know you guys are looking for an easy install.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I see Suzuki just released a set of chrome engine guards. That may open some more possibilities.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a set of advanced auto horns, 130db high and low tone. mounted under right side cover also with relay. fused main wire from battery, used wire from horn to work relay.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts