M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gent's, please tell me there is a solution to the awful shifting in the 109?

I've had my bike for two years now and absolutley love it other than the shift. And as far as I can remember you need to shift this bike to ride.

Anyway, I'm at the point where I've tried everything from synthetic oil to clutch ajustment to proper direct shifts and is still very harsh and crusty to shift between gears.:verymad:

Does anyone have this same problem? If so any ideas? Cause it's awful to say the least. I've ridn hundreds of bikes in my day and this is bye far flat out the worst shift of any?

Thanks for your help...

Chris

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I would suggest putting in the Factory Pro Shift Kit (star). It helped mine. It actually shifts smoother and faster now. I also found if you shift firm, you will have less issues! Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It is the nature of the beast..I know 2nd gear is clunky. Try shifting into 2nd before you get that big v twin wound up and it slips in much smoother.The pre load works to.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
It is the nature of the beast..I know 2nd gear is clunky. Try shifting into 2nd before you get that big v twin wound up and it slips in much smoother.The pre load works to.
:agree: That is what works for me.
Every time I ride another bike (even my katana) and then go back to the nine, I get disgusted with the harsh shifting:-\. Then as I crank open the throttle, :evil: all the bad feelings just disappear.
It can't be too bad, I have racked up over 26,000, trouble free miles on the beast.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Gent's, please tell me there is a solution to the awful shifting in the 109?

I've had my bike for two years now and absolutley love it other than the shift. And as far as I can remember you need to shift this bike to ride.

Anyway, I'm at the point where I've tried everything from synthetic oil to clutch ajustment to proper direct shifts and is still very harsh and crusty to shift between gears.:verymad:

Does anyone have this same problem? If so any ideas? Cause it's awful to say the least. I've ridn hundreds of bikes in my day and this is bye far flat out the worst shift of any?

Thanks for your help...

Chris
How many big cubic inch (1500cc or bigger) v-twins have you ridden? I've ridden a lot of them and they ALL have had clunky trannies. They may not be quite as bad as the 9, but clunky trannies are just the nature of the beast when talking about large displacement v-twins....

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have an 08 109 and the pro shift made no difference to my gear shifting. The new 2010 109 is a lot better. As was said earlier it is the nature of the beast. ???

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I have an 08 109 and the pro shift made no difference to my gear shifting. The new 2010 109 is a lot better. As was said earlier it is the nature of the beast. ???
there have been a few members on here that have installed the pro star shift kit and noticed no difference in the shifting. it doesn't "fix" the clunky shifting, merely makes shifting a little quicker. one member posted quite some time ago, that if the tranny is clunky due to some other problems such as shift forks, then the pro star shift kit will not help.
i had a 2006 and currently own a 2008 and both bikes felt the same to me in terms of shifting. perhaps i was just fortunate. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
the 109 is the "truck" of motorcycles, far from sport bikes and a truck is no sports car. Dont get me wrong, I love my truck.:doorag:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I installed the GIPRO ATRE, and the shifting problem was solved at all

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Shift star, Syn. oil, TRE all help but how you shift is more important: pre load with your toe, throttle off and slip the clutch. It takes a little practice to get quick, perfect shifts but your bike can snick into gear like a sport bike. Turning the gas all the way off is critical.

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
How many klicks you have on her....mine didn't start shifting better till about 12k...but all those things help...pre load,shift kit,good fitting boots with a solid toe and most of all shift like you mean it...i babied mine way to much in the beginning wondering what was wrong?then i took control...way better now:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
327 Posts
There is also the mod where you put a little spacer at the end of the spring with similar results to factory pro kit only the cost is about a buck. I did this to my bike and it definitely helped... probably about 75% less clunky. I can actually shift into first while still moving 10 mph without feeling like I am breaking something.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89387&highlight=crimp+shift

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Oakville,
I am also not a fan of the 109's harsh shifting. I've ridden an '07 and own an '08 and they both shift hard in the first to second. I also own a 1951 Harley Panhead that shifts better.And a Victory and a Guzzi, etc. I did the spring mod (CBR1000DUDE) and it helps. I think shift it like you mean it isn't the best for your shift forks. Same with the preload. A quick precise shift will help. I am a size 13 boot. Best of all for me was to bend the shift lever so it is closer to the cases, which makes it longer and easier to get my foot under. Hooking my toe under the shifter and quickly pulling it straight back and not simply flicking it up makes for a heavy click instead of a clunk. I'm not resting my boot on the foot peg. This allows a full excursion of the shifter, star and shift drum. Try it and see if you see a difference. Shift quick not hard.
Mike

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Hey Oakville,
I think shift it like you mean it isn't the best for your shift forks. Same with the preload. A quick precise shift will help. Mike
A lot of us here have been doing the preload thing since 2006 when the bikes first came out. It was quickly discovered to be the solution to the first/second gear shift. I have been doing it since I bought my 06, in 06, with no problems at all. It shifts like a dream, barely pull in the clutch lever and wham, your in second gear.

Ever tried doing a quick precise shift from first to second on the nine? Aint happening. I will say that as the miles pile on mine, the shifting seems to be getting better, and it almost shifts like normal from first to second, ALMOST. Maybe with another couple thousand miles, I'll see that.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Pre-loading the shifter eliminates the "shift it like you mean it" bang into gear method that can bend the shift fork.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
^ Obviously you'll need a beefier, heavy duty tranny to handle copious amounts of horse power and torque. We're just saying there are little tricks to smooth out the beast

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
Factory Pro shift star, switching to 20w-50 synthetic, and steel toed boots. Mine shifts almost like an automatic. That and 21,000 miles to break it in help.

I'm serious on the steel toed boots too. To get this thing to shift smooth you have to shift positively. The shift star gets it in gear quicker, but you still have to shift it firmly. I was getting irritated with mine until I tried on a pair of steel toed boots and I'm still amazed at the difference. I guess just really stiff toed boots would work well too, but something like sneakers doesn't work on mine.

And shifting early into 2nd helps, or revving it out really good. From there up I either just tap the clutch lever lightly, or let off the throttle just a bit and shift with no clutch. I clutch it shifting down.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts