M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok been reading the board for the last couple of weeks...Almost picked up a HD Wide Glide a couple of weeks ago...Went looking at the metric cruisers before I made my final decision...Loved the 109...Looked much better in person than just in pics...Now I want a 109....Most of my friends have HD's....They, to a man, could only say get a HD because I will get killed on resale value with anything else...Is there any other reason why some one would pay for a HD(aside from personal preference)?.....I like the way the 109 looks on the show room floor...I am going to have to put a few $k into the HD to get it the way I want it...Any body have advice(I know I am asking a biased crowd here)...Also, it would be my first cycle...I have ridden dirt bikes off road, but have zero street exp....Am a 33 police officer :cop:, so I don't plan on hot dogging it too much(at least for a while :D)....Also, I am 6'5" and the 109 felt like it was made for me when I sat on it....I plan on buying a bike sometime between now and next spring..Need input..

G

·
You need to pick what is right for you.

Many guys get trapped into buying the HD because they feel its required to be able to ride with another HD owner. Its all part of the HD mystique. If riding with the HD crowd is important to you then maybe you should spend the extra money and buy an HD.

Personally I only care about riding with myself and don't need to prove anything by buying a certain brand of bike.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
What Hal said. For some reason, I think I'm hearing a can of worms being opened. Hopefully this thread will die a peaceful death.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
I've owned just about everything including Harleys and I ride what turns me on, not what turns others on. The 109 is a great bike and lots of fun, so is some of the HD's but if I was buying a bike to ride I would buy the 109, if I was buying a bike to sell I would buy the Harley. What do you want to do, ride or sell? :doorag:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont give a crap about what people think...I figure if they dont like what ever about me, then they can bite me...So I do my own thing....Just looking to see if some one has some thing besides the "resale" thing...And if the 109 is a suitable 1st street bike.....I havent heard anything from the HD crowd that would make me want to spend an extra $10k yet....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ride would be the answer...Also I am not the type that has to have the new, lateest and greatest thing out there...So I plan on keeping whatever I buy for a while...

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
mrfart said:
I dont give a crap about what people think...I figure if they dont like what ever about me, then they can bite me...So I do my own thing....Just looking to see if some one has some thing besides the "resale" thing...And if the 109 is a suitable 1st street bike.....I havent heard anything from the HD crowd that would make me want to spend an extra $10k yet....
Then what kind of advice are you looking for? ::) Is it a good first street bike? I would say it's fine if you have ridden dirt bikes. We have guys on here that said this is there first motorcycle and they seem to be doing fine. I think a test ride will do a lot more for your decision then asking us what we think. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
253 Posts
HD's are nice most parts are interchangable between the models so there is a bonus spending the extra coin is something you have to decide ride both and work out what is better for you and buy a bike that way do not buy what your mates say and think is cool or us for that matter I personally rode a heritage softail before this M and I thought the soft tail was crap but that is me Reliablity is another factor I dont care how old or new a HD is it is gonna break down we call them Blue Heelers over here in Australia cause most HD's like the Blue Heeler Dogs spend 90% of their life on the back of a Ute

Ride Try and Buy

·
Registered
169 Posts
I vote for buying what puts the biggest smile on your face! :D

As for a 1st bike? Just treat it with kid gloves for a while and you should be alright.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Would you buy a car or truck that has 45 year old engine technology ( air cooled )????

I know many HD owners who are dumping their bikes because the market is saturated with Hot Dogs!!! Think again if your buying one for a "Investment".

How much modification and money does it take to give a Harley 127 HP. You would have to be firing off C-4 plastic explosives in the cylinders to achieve that kind of performance.

What stock Harley compares to the 109 in performance ( a heavily modified Screaming Eagle V-Rod ) that is not quite a Harley because of it's "imported engine technology"! This SE V-Rod cost 28K verses 13K for a 109! That's 15K you keep in your pocket!

Ownership is individual choice! Buy and ride what you like but remember to compare what you're getting dollar for dollar!

G

·
Buy what appeals to YOU THE MOST....screw re-sale....especially if you REALLY plan to keep it awhile..Fun Factor it what appeals to me,,and the 109 has it!....... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't understand the resale thing...

Lets say you pay 22k for a HD and 13K for a 109. 2 years down the road you sell the HD for 18k and sell the 109 for 8k. You came out 1k ahead on the HD, but will most likely have spent more than that on service and performance upgrades. Not to mention, with all of the HD's getting into the market, the resale IS going to take a hit.
If I was going to drop HD kind of money, I would probably look at a Victory just for the simple fact that you don't see near as many and I like having something different.

All that said, I will hop on the "Get what makes you happy" bandwagon. If you are a Police officer, you work your a$$ off for your check and I think you should spend that money on what makes YOU happy.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The sportier HDs are a more compact ride for someone 6'5. You're right about how you feel when sitting on the M109 for the first time. "I didn't know I could get a sporty cruiser in my size right from the factory"

On the first bike thing, The 109 has the torque and power to cruise slow under 2100 rpm like any HD, but when you want to move out, you GO!

Also, if you're set on spending HD money, get a 109 and a used HD for around 15. You can sell the HD to experience your great resale, and ride the 109 to experience the best riding cruiser on the market under $14k.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hello Mrfart and welcome.  Thought I would drop my .2 cents as well. 
I have both a HD and a M109R.  Since I bought my M109R the HD is pretty much an ancient artifact that sits in my garage.  Also known as dust collecter.   ALL of my buddies and relatives gave me shit cuz I bought a zook ( you know the whole HD pride BS ) but the bottom line is they are all hurt because they know as well as I do that I bought a bad azz machine, looking and performance wise, for much less then they did. :D

BTW I too am a LEA :cop:......keep it safe and watch your six brutha.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

·
Registered
898 Posts
If you really want a 109 and are unsure... Just calculate the cost of the HD then add the price to get the HP = to the 109, then add the cost to rip the swingarm off and replace to get the 240/250 out back and then make your descision based on apples to apples... then calculate resale value...

If you, as I was, are jonezing for a 240 then all the rest is just bs .... and then the added bonus was I also got a rocket bike of a cruiser... :bigthumbsup:

khrome

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think a test ride is in order - forget all the resale stuff. Nobody promised us tomorrow, so start enjoying yourself today. As you can tell, you'll have a whole new set of comrades re this board. Good Luck in whatever you choose..

G

·
Buy the 109 and put some of that money that would have went to Milwaukee into trickin it out. We're already seeing some awesome bolt ons. It's just a matter of time before you can find anything you want for it. You'll have a bike that the HD crowd will secretly envy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Scrogg, I had the same math debate with one of my buddies while we were working the other night...Makes lots of sense to me...Also, I guess I wanted a view point on a HD from some one other than my HD fanatic buddies...I do have 1 that rides a Goldwing(his wife made him get rid of his Kaw because it hurt her butt) and 1 that rides a VMax...Every body else rides a HD...1 friend was very insistant about a HD until I showed him the 109 on Suzuki's site...He didn't change his mind, but it did shut him up...I have pretty much decided on a 109...Just was curious to see if anyone had anything good to say about HD other than "resale,resale, resale"...

·
Registered
250 Posts
mrfart said:
...Also, it would be my first cycle...I have ridden dirt bikes off road, but have zero street exp....Am a 33 police officer .
I don't think I would recommend this as a fist bike. Since you grew up riding in the dirt, I would either find a lower displacement, lighter bike (new or used). Look at a something like a supermotard (street legal dirt bike) or a naked standard bike for the first year. These kind of bikes will give you a good first experience vs. jumping into the 700lb gorilla of the M109R. Get into the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) classes, beginner and advanced. After a year of riding, then make the jump to the cruiser you want, you may love your other bike so much that you decide to keep it too!
Supermotard:

Naked Street:

I'm sure lots of riders have made the jump to the monster cruizers and survived, but make this a good experience so you keep riding for years to come. Don't skip the MSF classes regardless of which bike you choose.
Good luck and be safe.

- Polartek

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
If you can stand waitin for your buddies at evey light buy the 109. It will want to run up front. If you want to blend in buy the HD and then ride in the middle of the pack.

The 109 is unique as soon a you buy it.

Sledzep

This is my 1st street bike. If you stay sane with your right hand you will do fine.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts