M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I saw two Harley riders, guy & gal, decked out with heavy boots, gloves, full protective leathers, and a bandana on their heads :eek:. I'm sure you will all agree that this is a very common site among Harley riders. But for the life of me, I simply don't get it. Now if they were wearing flip flops, shorts and a tee shirt, I would get that. Why bother to protect your body when your going to get your head bashed in? Maybe some of you guys do it to. I just do not understand this mentality. Can someone splain it to me? :read:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Just like the guy that wears Abacrombie and Fitch (sp?) everyday to work as an accountant or banker and then slaps on Harley garb head to toe for the weekends so he can be a biker. I laugh everytime I see these people decked out. Leathers look like they just came off the rack. Its all an "image" thing. Weekend warriors or RUBS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
People that don't wear helmets obviously have little use for their heads anyway.. If they did they'd protect them along with every other part of thier bodies. Frankly, the older I get the less I feel like having to heal from any type of injury, cause they never heal back 100% anymore.

Darwin is probably doing a study on the whole helmet vs no helmet thing from the other side and laughing that he got it right the first time 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
bldenson said:
Just like the guy that wears Abacrombie and Fitch (sp?) everyday to work as an accountant or banker and then slaps on Harley garb head to toe for the weekends so he can be a biker. I laugh everytime I see these people decked out. Leathers look like they just came off the rack. Its all an "image" thing. Weekend warriors or RUBS.
LOL ... then based on your sig pic you should be riding a bicycle like napolean rode and busting your nuts on that ramp :joke:

khrome
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
http://www.darwinawards.com/

Picture Perfect Cop
2003 Honorable Mention
Confirmed True by Darwin
(7 August 2003, Wyoming)

Like a true country child, Jim was born, born to be wild... even though he had grown up to be a county sheriff. The wild one had cast off his mild-mannered alter-ego and taken to the road, in the company of another cop and the cop's brother, riding his hog without a helmet to the big motorcycle rally in Sturgis, South Dakota. The tough lawman scoffed at silly helmet laws.
No road trip would be complete without a commemorative photograph. With the wind streaming through his hair at 65 mph, Jim decided the conditions were right. He took his camera and turned around to take a picture of the rider behind him. This of course required the bold Harley rider to take his hands off the handlebars.

As a state trooper described it later, the motorcycle drifted to the right and headed for a telephone pole. Jim lost control trying to wrestle the bike back onto the highway and went sailing through the air, probably wishing he had worn his helmet after all. When he landed, he broke his eye socket, four ribs, and a shoulder bone, and suffered other head injuries and road rash. There's no word on whether he got the photograph or not.

Jim had been following a beloved motto: "No Helmets 4 Harleys." Although he miraculously survived, he nearly proved another: "Old riders, and bold riders, but no old bold riders!"

Original Submission.

DarwinAwards.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
xray said:
Yesterday, I saw two Harley riders, guy & gal, decked out with heavy boots, gloves, full protective leathers, and a bandana on their heads :eek:. I'm sure you will all agree that this is a very common site among Harley riders. But for the life of me, I simply don't get it. Now if they were wearing flip flops, shorts and a tee shirt, I would get that. Why bother to protect your body when your going to get your head bashed in? Maybe some of you guys do it to. I just do not understand this mentality. Can someone splain it to me? :read:
To project a "Bad A$$ Image".....bet they also had tattoo's and Harley underwear, ear piercing and the chain attached to their billfold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
bldenson said:
Just like the guy that wears Abacrombie and Fitch (sp?) everyday to work as an accountant or banker and then slaps on Harley garb head to toe for the weekends so he can be a biker. I laugh everytime I see these people decked out. Leathers look like they just came off the rack. Its all an "image" thing. Weekend warriors or RUBS.
hey who cares what they look like..it doesnt matter where you work or what kind of clothes you wear, its all how you act..i am a vp of bank of america and yes i wear a&f but ive never had a problem, for me its all about speed, looks, and women. as far as not wearing a helmet and wearing all that goofy apperal...thats just plain STOOPID!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
How about everyone else pretending to be a Harley rider? You Know, the guys riding everything else and supporting the Harley cause with the boots, shirts, leathers by Harley!!! Oh well?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
No offense to the accountants/bankers, or A&F wearers, but its the same ones that dawn all the leather and badass attitudes on the weekends right after the put on the temporary tatoos that bust me up.

And Krome....Nopolean kicks a$$!....Its a Sledgehammer........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
stoopid311 said:
hey who cares what they look like..it doesnt matter where you work or what kind of clothes you wear, its all how you act..i am a vp of bank of america and yes i wear a&f but ive never had a problem, for me its all about speed, looks, and women. as far as not wearing a helmet and wearing all that goofy apperal...thats just plain STOOPID!!
+1 :bigthumbsup:

LG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
i am an avid supporter of helmets... the A&F crowd Doesn't bother me.... the wannabe yuppie bikers doesn't bother me.... the hardcore 1%. well they bother me cause they are real a-holes...
but anyone of the above that is stooooopid enough to not wear a helmet (i am happy as long as it is a half..) they bother me... (oh yeah people who wear shorts and flip flops bother me to.... the other guy that owns a 109 in my lil town loves his wife beater, shorts and flip flops.. )

okay my rant is done :D 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
It really bothers me actually, to see all these guys out there, here in Houston where cars are constantly driving like idiots, and I see these guys all geared up, with NO Helmet...

In some places, I can see it would be "okay" to not wear one... but I still advise wearing one... but out in HOUSTON traffic... they must be suicidal to not wear them... sheez
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,121 Posts
The only time it bothers me when others dont wear helmets is when They are friends, or I atleast know them.

I can control them, but I can mention it. After that it is their choice.
Now, if you get in my car IT DONT MOVE IF YOU DONT BELT UP PERIOD. I dont want your death/injury on my head. And I dont want to expalin to your wife (my friend) why I survived and you did not.

Sledzep
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Why should it bother anyone other than the one choosing not to wear his or her lid. What is the differance if you go around bare headed or wear a half helmet,do you really think that that little flipper on your skull will do much to save your life if you crash head on in to a tree,i dont think so,i wear what i want to when i want to,and dont want some ass hole in goverment to lidigate me to have to,let us who ride decide,yes when its cold/rainy out or i am riding on the edge with the boys,i throw on my snell/dot full face not some piss poor for an exscuse of a half helmet,and go have fun,but i dont spend time worrying what someone else whears!! :barf:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
What if you only crash doing say 15 and split your helmet? I did this when i was 15. Very little road rash and walked away. Might of died without the helmet that convinced me :D

However if i ever hit a tree head on im sure they can just bury the helmet since most of my @$$ will probly smoosh up into it :super:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
I've crashed and burned on an off-road bike before hitting a tree when I was younger... that helmet was SCREWED, but I walked away just fine...

I always wear a helmet... no matter HOW HOT it is here in Houston... don't need someone else to make me... my LIFE instinct makes me wear mine...

I guess I care about fellow riders... so when I see them not wearing a helmet out in crazy traffic... just don't want to have to go visit someone at their FUNERAL, would rather visit them while at the next rally, or while RIDING TOGETHER...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
BigBen said:
I've crashed and burned on an off-road bike before hitting a tree when I was younger... that helmet was SCREWED, but I walked away just fine...

I always wear a helmet... no matter HOW HOT it is here in Houston... don't need someone else to make me... my LIFE instinct makes me wear mine...

I guess I care about fellow riders... so when I see them not wearing a helmet out in crazy traffic... just don't want to have to go visit someone at their FUNERAL, would rather visit them while at the next rally, or while RIDING TOGETHER...
Amen to that brother!

Gets hot as all hells here in Missouri as well but i always wear the full face helm (not just because its the law).

Fieldsheer riding jacket with CE armor... Fieldsheer pants with CE armor.. OXtar Matrix Gore Tex boot with CE armor. Tourmaster Scarab Gloves.

Ive been given a few laughs by the crowds but oh well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
If ya wear a helmet, that is your choice, and if ya don't wear a helmet, that is your choice.

Stop all the bashing and live and let live, if someone likes to wear leather , as long as they did not ask you to buy it for them , whats the big deal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
It's a "Biker" mentality, that is the main reason Harley-Davidson is still in business, NOT because they make a good bike, but because of the image:

1: Do you want a FAST bike? Get a Japanese one. (Suzuki/Kawasaki)
2: Do you want an EXOTIC bike? Get an Italian one (Ducati/Cagiva)
3: Do you want a RELIABLE bike? Get a German one (BMW/MZ)
4: DO you want the REBEL mystique associated WITH motorcycles? Get an American one (Harley-Davidson/American Ironhorse)

Remember when Harley-David petitioned Congress to STOP/Curtail the sale/heavily tax import bikes of a certain displacement because they could not compete? They ended up borrowing millions and then had to buy BACK the brand from AMF because they were NOT moving bikes:

In September of 1982, Harley-Davidson petitioned the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) for relief from the importation of heavyweight motorcycles and power-train subassemblies (an engine part). The petition was filed under Section 201 of the Trade Act of 1974, known as the "Escape Clause," which allows an industry to request import relief from foreign competition when increasing imports are causing or threatening serious injury to the domestic industry.

It's all an image man. But I agree with BigBoreBiker, just live and let ride :bigthumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top