M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go...

Harley-Davidson warned employees in April that it will move its Wisconsin manufacturing operations elsewhere if it cannot cut millions of dollars at the factories that build the bikes known as "Milwaukee Iron."

Harley chief executive [COLOR=#366388! important]Keith Wandell[/COLOR] said the company will make its decision on whether to move in the next two months. Harley executives are already scouting out other states, though Wandell will not say which ones.

Well at least they are not moving oversees(yet)...But Engines designed in germany, wheels from Australia and electronics from Japan hmm American Iron

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I guess their T-shirt sales must be really down this year! :eek:

Hey you know as "Americans" it really kind of sucks (Harley Davidson aside) that most things are produced overseas anymore. This whole "Global Economy" isn't really the greatest thing for America in alot of ways. When you have cheap overseas labor, no health benefits to pay, major tax incentives...etc. You can't hardly blame certain companies for moving their operations over there.

That would be a big change if HD wasn't in Milwaukee anymore however.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jobs

I guess their T-shirt sales must be really down this year! :eek:

Hey you know as "Americans" it really kind of sucks (Harley Davidson aside) that most things are produced overseas anymore. This whole "Global Economy" isn't really the greatest thing for America in alot of ways. When you have cheap overseas labor, no health benefits to pay, major tax incentives...etc. You can't hardly blame certain companies for moving their operations over there.

That would be a big change if HD wasn't in Milwaukee anymore however.
I agree..until the overseas labor force starts demanding hire wages we are in a world of s^&T if we dont stop shipping our jobs out of this country. We need to start making things here!!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I agree..until the overseas labor force starts demanding hire wages we are in a world of s^&T if we dont stop shipping our jobs out of this country. We need to start making things here!!
I'm not necessacarily a huge Chrysler fan but when I see this commercial I totally agree with it. I think it hits the nail on the head.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i think its companys like jeep that have given the US a bad wrap. they are crap and we will see how well built those new little jeeps are.....

sorry just my $0.02.....

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I drive a Ford truck, a Dodge car, and a Jap bike. I love the 9 but do wish it was built in USA.
your ford truck or your dodge car probably arent built in the US.......maybe part of them but if there not to old the majority of those were built in canada or mexico..

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
It has always been my stance that, In order to import into the untied states the company should have to follow the US standards of employment policies and practices. It is ridiculous that it is cheaper to ship things half way around the world for Junk items like plastic bowls, paper plates, lead laced toys.... They save because employees only make 50 cents an hour and companies are allowed to take advantage of their employees.
Progressives try to blame the recession on capitalism failing. Capitalism works when operated under a republic(and Democracy though I have no interest in a democracy) government system. When companies have no recourse for operating slavery in another country and basically free imports, then that is not capitalistic. Everyone needs to operate under the same set of rules. This doesn't mean that other countries should operate like the United states. This means that if a company "CHOOSES" to do business in the US then the also "Choose" to accept our operating policies. If we did that... just watch the business flow back to the US.

My Uncle built a plant in Mexico for GE right after NAFTA passed. Why did they move out of WV??? Because they only had to pay their employees 50cents an hour, no health care and no "oversight" from the government to make sure their products are up to par and that no employees are dying on the job.:-\

But don't get me started on some of the rules...though...:eek:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
when I saw this video of George Carlin the other day, it really put things in perspective. I realize he was a comedian, but listen to it and many of the things he says hold true today. This Harley Davidson, Chrysler, Chevrolet and many other things make more sense. Oh, and P.S. adult language! After all, it id George Carlin!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i think its companys like jeep that have given the US a bad wrap. they are crap and we will see how well built those new little jeeps are.....

sorry just my $0.02.....
How has Jeep given America a bad wrap :dontknow:.........I like the commercial about what American used to be like, whether their peddling Jeeps, Candy Canes or Condoms is irrelevant to me.

When Ross Pariot rain for pres. in I think 1994, he said when the trade agreement was passed there would be a great sucking sound as all the businesses would bail and go to china.........guess what! Our gov made a conscious decision to cut the lower class and make a society of high tech. Only problem was, what do the lower class do? thus the mess we are in now. I AM PIZZED We have been screwed big time. Company's cant make in this country any more.
:agree: That little Ross Perot was annoying but man he was actually right about alot of things. The free trade agreement has largely backfired for us. Now our once huge middle class is shrinking by the millions. Soon there won't be a middle class if some drastic changes aren't made.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a two American cars, a Trailblazer SS (built in Canada) and a GTO (built in Australia). :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
And btw, I'd love to buy an American bike but there just aren't any that really do it for me. :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
when I saw this video of George Carlin the other day, it really put things in perspective. I realize he was a comedian, but listen to it and many of the things he says hold true today. This Harley Davidson, Chrysler, Chevrolet and many other things make more sense.

Sorry but that's BS...Progressives are in charge of the education system there's no secret about it. (Weather Underground...and look into what positions they hold in society now.)They have altered the historical perspective of the United states to suit their agenda. They blame everything on the "fat cats" well, business today is not conducive to small business. And that's due to "progressive" influences on laws and intrusion in the day to day operations of businesses. Too many regulations and taxes to allow someone the chance to be successful. It's amazing how many Progressives talk about the Evil capitalists but Chelsae Clinton gets a $3.5 million wedding:eek: They're all about taking "others" peoples monies and telling you what to do with what you have left.

Look at Al Gore. He's worried about "saving the earth" but he has multiple houses and flies around on a private Jet all the time. He wants me to change my light bulb but he can be as wasteful as he wants.:-\ There is much more to this, but I wouldn't look to George Carlin for even how to take a sh&t.;)

George Carlyn also believes in Killing babies and Eugenics. Two classical signs of Progressivism.:confused:

Nothing personal against you...George Carlyn pissed me off when he and another "comedian" talked about ridding society of "retarded" (Their words not mine) Babies.:verymad:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It has always been my stance that, In order to import into the untied states the company should have to follow the US standards of employment policies and practices. It is ridiculous that it is cheaper to ship things half way around the world for Junk items like plastic bowls, paper plates, lead laced toys.... They save because employees only make 50 cents an hour and companies are allowed to take advantage of their employees.
Progressives try to blame the recession on capitalism failing. Capitalism works when operated under a republic(and Democracy though I have no interest in a democracy) government system. When companies have no recourse for operating slavery in another country and basically free imports, then that is not capitalistic. Everyone needs to operate under the same set of rules. This doesn't mean that other countries should operate like the United states. This means that if a company "CHOOSES" to do business in the US then the also "Choose" to accept our operating policies. If we did that... just watch the business flow back to the US.

My Uncle built a plant in Mexico for GE right after NAFTA passed. Why did they move out of WV??? Because they only had to pay their employees 50cents an hour, no health care and no "oversight" from the government to make sure their products are up to par and that no employees are dying on the job.:-\

But don't get me started on some of the rules...though...:eek:
The real problem with our country is exactly as you said, trade! NAFTA took the jobs to Mexico for lower wages, which were actually more like 1.50 an hour , no benefits. Then came CAFTA and that one allowed them to take all of those jobs from Mexico and ship that work to China and Malaysia, Jordan etc. Those jobs actually paid around 35-50 cents per hour and average 16 to 20 hours per day. Then came Walmart, who incidentally owns and operates hundreds of factories in China. They decided that the minimum wage in China (55 cents per hour) was too much and arbitrarily told them that if they didn't accept lower wages they would close the plants and move them elsewhere. That is how the chinese wage got to 16 cents per hour. They all do it, but Walmart is by far the worst offender. The trade laws that gutted the manufacturing corridor in Mexico also caused the great immigration problem. There is no work in Mexico, either. I also don't like the idea of a world economy but brace yourselves, it is coming. We Americans have fought hard to get our standard of living and people who continually seek foreign everything don't seem to realize that they are feeding the end of our standard of living. As far as quality goes, we all have opinions. I still do not like Japanese cars, I don't like working on them and I don't like driving them. Mostly because of all the ones that I have worked on, the parts are expensive, they wear out just as fast as anything else, and they are small. I don't really fit in any of them. I also know that the American branded cars are joint efforts with Japanese and Korean makersand the exact same technology goes into all of them. My Impala is the same as a Toyota on the suspension. The Malibu is run on the same line in California as toyota's too. They are all the same today, and they are all crap in my opinion.

·
Registered
685 Posts

sorry just my $0.02.....
hmm I actually like Jeep. My father has a '98 Jeep Cherokee classic with
just over 300,000 miles that is running strong.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
How has Jeep given America a bad wrap :dontknow:.........I like the commercial about what American used to be like, whether their peddling Jeeps, Candy Canes or Condoms is irrelevant to me.

:agree: That little Ross Perot was annoying but man he was actually right about alot of things. The free trade agreement has largely backfired for us. Now our once huge middle class is shrinking by the millions. Soon there won't be a middle class if some drastic changes aren't made.
Jeep gave America a bad name because they took a good off road vehicle that you could "use" then made it into a unreliable POS;) I just bought an 07 and have had almost every piece of electronics on the transmission and wheel controls replaced and mine isn't the only one. They have a reputation of being under powered and rough rides while trying to tote themselves as a luxury vehicle. They only glimmer of hope Jeep has is the Rubicon Wranglers. IMO..:bigthumbsup:

NAFTA didn't backfire. It is doing exactly what is was designed to do and it is ushering in exactly what it was designed to usher in. :-\ What's that? "The North American Union.":'(

·
Registered
940 Posts
I will most likely never own a Harley Davidson motorcycle but that is beside the point, they are a great American company being ruined by our own damn government just like Polaris (going to mexico) . If things don't change our industry in this country will certainly almost disappear (he!! it's about half gone now), can't even go to Walmart and find durable goods not made in China, i'm sick of it all. Sorry i'm in a bad mood today.

General Electric can kiss my :edit:, selling missile parts to Iran as our soldiers were dying in Iraq by munitions they were sending there. No G.E. products in this home never.

Maybe we can fix it all by raising taxes on everyone. Bull:edit:

An important date to remember: November 02, 2010.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I will most likely never own a Harley Davidson motorcycle but that is beside the point, they are a great American company being ruined by our own damn government just like Polaris (going to mexico) . If things don't change our industry in this country will certainly almost disappear (he!! it's about half gone now), can't even go to Walmart and find durable goods not made in China, i'm sick of it all. Sorry i'm in a bad mood today.

General Electric can kiss my :edit:, selling missile parts to Iran as our soldiers were dying in Iraq by munitions they were sending there. No G.E. products in this home never.

Maybe we can fix it all by raising taxes on everyone. Bull:edit:

An important date to remember: November 02, 2010.
i know right GT5 finally comes out!!!:D

sorry had to. i know its a election day....

1 - 20 of 150 Posts