M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stop to refuel and when I went to start my 109 the thing just didn't want to crank over,acted like a dead battery. I put the battery on a midtronics battery tester at work good battery. spoke to the dealer and a tech said its common and to put bike into second gear and roll it backwards to get the piston down from the top of the cylinder,just wondering if this happened to anyone else????

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
10k miles here. Never once seen anything like this. It's pretty hot here in ATL during the summer and my bike just jumps to life with the slightest hit of the starter when its hot.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool at least I am not the only one. Its worth the agro to have this amazing bike :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've had it happen a couple times are a few long rides in 100+ weather... no big deal if ya don;t wanna roll the bike in 2nd all you have to do is hit the starter a couple times and it will kick over..

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
the compression releases work off of the camshafts at cranking speed so that once it fires and the revs pick up they stop holding the exhaust valves off theirs seats. maybe some are not working right? :dontknow:

·
Registered
21 Posts
It happens to me quite often. Its good to know I'm not the only one. I just wait a littlle bit and she'll start up afterward. It is a little embarrasing because I ride with two Harley riders, good friends of mine, and I know they are always trying to convince me to buy a Harley. But nonetheless, even they oggle over the 109.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
steve j said:
the compression releases work off of the camshafts at cranking speed so that once it fires and the revs pick up they stop holding the exhaust valves off theirs seats. maybe some are not working right? :dontknow:
Is there a compression release mechanism on both jugs or just the back cylinder? :dontknow:

·
Registered
448 Posts
It happens to me once in a while (only when the bike is warm), I figured it was the JSD (I remember my hard starting V8 hot-rods, I had to much initial advance, so the starter was fighting a few cylinders that sparked before tdc).

·
Registered
248 Posts
It happened to me today three times, and it's only 75 degrees. It does start after a few pushes of the starter button, but it doesn't seem right to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts