M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading all the clunky transmission shifting threads after doing a search.

I have put 75 miles on the bike now and love it!

Only thing, after about 40 miles, when starting the bike up it would not shift into 1st gear anymore from neutral. I then started to let the clutch out a little, shift it in, then pull the clutch back, and even this was not 100% effective each time.

How many owners are having this problem overall? I don't mind the clunky shifting noises, but I would like it to shift....

Has anyone alleviated it? Synthetic oil change?

Going riding again tonight. I had planned to do an oil change at 500 miles, but as it stands I will be doing one much sooner.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Got mine on March 13th and have a little over 1300 miles on it now. I think I first noticed this problem at about 400 miles. Told the dealer about it at the 500 mile service. Of course, they couldn't get it to act up in the 4 miles they put on it. Mine has never done it from just starting though. It's usually if I put it in neutral at a traffic light. I'll have to roll the bike back a few inches or "double clutch" it. They even adjusted the clutch at the 500 mile service.

Guess it's a "new bike" problem. If it keeps it up, I will be at the dealer constantly until they fix it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Noticed it on mine occasionally more often at startup than not.... just gives character to me... does'nt really bother me...I use the double clutch method...

khrome

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I don't think that this is a problem at all, in fact its how the bike was made! If you start the bike in neutral you have to let the clutch out and re-clutch before shifting gears. I'm pretty sure this is what you are describing. Let me know if it is something different, but the bike is designed to do this. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
mine does it too. i think you have to find the sweet spot in the clutch. with mine i have to let the clutch out alittle to engage 1st.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joshua_109 said:
I don't think that this is a problem at all, in fact its how the bike was made! If you start the bike in neutral you have to let the clutch out and re-clutch before shifting gears. I'm pretty sure this is what you are describing. Let me know if it is something different, but the bike is designed to do this. :bigthumbsup:
Gonna try it tonight.

Thanks for the feedback, yourself and others :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have noticed that if I shift into neutral at a stop light I sometimes have to feather the clutch to get it to shift into first gear. I am assuming that is similiar to what you are describing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Please pull your clutch cover off. Then, watching the fulcrum arm that actuates the clutch pusher, take all the slack out using your adjuster at the clutch lever. I started the transmission survey some time ago and wouldn't have if I knew how far out of adjustment these bikes were from the dealer/factory. :confused: Stop the madness,shift clean. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I experience the same startup issue as discussed; start with clutch in, bike in neutral and I have to double clutch before I can place bike in gear. As others mentioned, just something I'm now in the habit of doing each time.

A concern I do have is when the bike is really hot (stop and go traffic, red light to red light, in the Florida heat) I sometimes have a problem getting the bike to down shift multiple gears during one clutch pull. It gets hung up in second gear on the way down and I have to slip the clutch out a tad to allow second to engage, then I can shift down. However, the bike then "locks" in at neutral and I have to repeat the process again to get to first. I owned a 97 Suzuki Bandit 1200 a while back and had a similar type problem when the bike got really hot.

Anyone else experience this? :eek: :dontknow:

·
Registered
273 Posts
z109r, dude you got any pics of what you are describing? I am NOT into reading and doing. I need pictures. I guess that's why I liked Playboys instead of dictionaries growing up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
ramskat said:
z109r, dude you got any pics of what you are describing? I am NOT into reading and doing. I need pictures. I guess that's why I liked Playboys instead of dictionaries growing up.
I feel your pain bro, but I'm not an uploader, now back to my penthouse. :eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
CruzK9 said:
I experience the same startup issue as discussed; start with clutch in, bike in neutral and I have to double clutch before I can place bike in gear. As others mentioned, just something I'm now in the habit of doing each time.

A concern I do have is when the bike is really hot (stop and go traffic, red light to red light, in the Florida heat) I sometimes have a problem getting the bike to down shift multiple gears during one clutch pull. It gets hung up in second gear on the way down and I have to slip the clutch out a tad to allow second to engage, then I can shift down. However, the bike then "locks" in at neutral and I have to repeat the process again to get to first. I owned a 97 Suzuki Bandit 1200 a while back and had a similar type problem when the bike got really hot.

Anyone else experience this?  :eek: :dontknow:
     Yeah, I had some embarrassing/dangerous light to light issues, I usually panic a little (go ahead and say it... can't be worst than my brothers put downs!) when I can't down shift all the way in the middle of rush hour.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Put 80 miles on the bike last night. Double clutched at all startups and did not have any trouble getting into first gear from neutral. This bike kicks AZZ!!

G

·
I have 500 miles on mine,and it does clunk from 1st to second on hard take offs.And going from neutral to first can be sticky at times

1 - 17 of 17 Posts