M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Can any owners or either exhaust chime in and let me know the volume difference between the two, I spent the last 3 hours going thru the forum here and you tube. I really like the look of the shorty and how it exposes the rear wheel, but not looking to be ridiculous volume. I considered the freedom combat but I dont like how it appears from the images to flare out and away from the bike. Any help?

Thanks people

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,945 Posts
I don't have either but I've heard both a few times. The shorty sounds to be just a little louder than the long, but not much. I hope someone that has ridden on a bike with both chimes in, as just looking at them I'd say the shorty sounds much louder on the bike since the exit is right under the rider instead of behind them.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I've had both and they are both nice. See photo below for side by side comparison.
Really boils down to what look you want. The long version covers the rear wheel a bit where as the shorty does not. If you have a chrome down under brake caliper or a swing arm cover, you may not want to cover it up with the pipe.
The long pipe is a bit quieter in reality and a lot quitter to rider and passenger in perception when riding because the can is moved back farther on the bike.
If you ride 2 up, your passenger may appreciate the longer pipe a bit more than the short.......but you can always tell them to suck it up and turn the music up in there intercom, that's what I do.
I am running the VPR (Shorty) on my bike because I prefer the look.
I have 7 different exhausts and overdue to switch it up to something different. Just cannot seem to find time to ride in the past year and the rest of this year is not looking much better either.
Hurricane hitting my place tonight to complicate things even more. (Sometimes it seems like I may never get to ride again) :)
I just hope my dyno makes it though, still owe $20,000 on it and its not insured.

BCS

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all , I live in Australia and last year I purchased a Hard Krome Velocity pro shorty pipe, for my 2008 M109r from MeanCycles. It cost me AUD $ 1500 with shipping.

Because of Covid, floods, Bush fires etc, I have only been able to ride my bike for about 3 months in all of that time. I ride mostly on weekends and holidays, weather permitting and try to take care of my bike, which has always been garaged.

The exhaust arrived sometime in August / September 2020 and soon after I fitted it to my bike. Late May early June of 2021 I noticed that the front header pipes Chrome heat shields were pitting (worse on the front one). I contacted JC at Mean cycles and he told me to get in touch with "Andy" at DG Performance Exhausts.

Andy asked me to send pictures and a purchase receipt, which I did expecting some kind of offer either to replace the pipes or do something to help.

For the last several weeks he has told me that the pitting is due to the environment here in Australia and because I live on the coast, they will not cover the pitting. No other chrome parts on my bike have pitted like this and my bike is 13 years old, even the chrome muffler is ok.

On the Hard Krome web site the only Guarantee mentioned, is something about blueing pipes but after several e mails between us he said that their warranty only covers “manufacturing defects” and is for a period of 3 months and does not cover damage caused by “living near the coast”.

I said to him that even though I live near the coast, I did not accept this as the reason for the pitting, but that it is the very thin chrome used on the heat shields. I asked him if he thought “we drive and ride in the Ocean in Australia”? I also asked him about motorcyclists riding in the US, as there is plenty of "Coastline" around the US to ride on .

He said this had never happened before.

If the environment is responsible for pitting of DG exhausts, then why don't they say that on their website?

Isn't there any salt in the Oceans around the US? There was when I visited there , has that changed?

Finally, "Andy" said that they would sell me a new front pipe (not both) for US $ 295 with shipping.

I have no intention of paying another AUD $ 400 on top of AUD $1500 to these people .

I have to say This has been the worst buying experience I have ever had and i have been purchasing parts from the US for years.

I have tried for weeks to get a fair outcome to this and have gotten nowhere ,so if any of you are contemplating buying an exhaust system from DG performance exhausts ,particularly a Velocity pro it might be wise to refer to my experience with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,
Just wanted to thank those who took the time to chime in with their feed back. I pulled the trigger on a black shorty pipe ordered from meancycles. Should see it arrive next week, very excited.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,
Just wanted to thank those who took the time to chime in with their feed back. I pulled the trigger on a black shorty pipe ordered from meancycles. Should see it arrive next week, very excited.
Good luck with it, hope you don't have a problems as you'll be left on your own. Unless it goes "blue of" course!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts