M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've watched a lot of videos of you guys riding. Especially Georgiaroller. I'm guessing being lowered makes your pegs drag a lot easier. Does it also get you more on the edge of the rear tire? I'm at stock height and feel like I'm fairly aggressive in the corners on roads I'm familiar with. Rarely ever drag the pegs and I still have about 3/16" chicken strips. I do occasionally drag my right heel due to my foot position with the rear brake lever. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have stock height, and don't wanna lower because I drag on almost every turn. But this is my first cruiser, so maybe that's how cruiser's are?

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've just started riding again back in February after several years without a bike. When I was younger, mostly rode dirt bikes. All of the street bikes I've ridden have been cruiser style. The nine is by far the biggest and most powerful bike I've ever ridden so I guess maybe I'm easing into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I think you got a long ways to go, bro! Trust your bike.

I'm stock height ....no chicken strips and drag my frame sometimes.

Georgia Roller's bike is lowered some....I think 1.5 inches.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is my first cruiser after an R1 and a few Hayabusa's. It was already lowered 2" when I bought it so I scrape pretty often. I had to adjust my riding style just to avoid doing it so often. I didn't have chicken strips on any of my sport bikes even when commuting 90 miles round trip. I plan to put an air ride on it just so I can get in the twisties a bit harder.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you got a long ways to go, bro! Trust your bike.

I'm stock height ....no chicken strips and drag my frame sometimes.

Georgia Roller's bike is lowered some....I think 1.5 inches.

I guess that's why they call em "chicken" strips. I figured it was just me. But I'd rather "ease" into it than try full bore and end up regretting it. I get a little more aggressive the more I ride it. I've never ridden with any other nines. If I could see in person what they can do, it would probably help the old confidence factor.:redfaced:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I've never ridden with any other nines. If I could see in person what they can do, it would probably help the old confidence factor.:redfaced:
No doubt about that. When I started riding with Jazzman and Lucky I Got my eyes opened. Before too long I was riding like them.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I will second that you need to trust the bike. I have been on 2" and 3" bones and now air ride. The lower you go the faster the peg hit, but with the air ride set to stock height, I can vouch for the bike's ability to kill a set of feelers in about a 2 hour ride.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I started out with 1.5 inch bones and only dragged when I was riding hard. Then I put on 2.75 inch bones and could drag whenever I wanted (and a lot of times when I didn't want to). If you can handle the $700 price tag go with air ride so that you have the best of both worlds, slammed when you want it to and then jack the back end up to go carve some twisties.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Also lowering the bikelowers the center of gravity and the more you have to lean to turnso its a double edged sword. I lowered mine 2"and the look is worth it to me.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Also lowering the bikelowers the center of gravity and the more you have to lean to turnso its a double edged sword. I lowered mine 2"and the look is worth it to me.
if you think you have to lean the bike too much to turn , you should try turning the bike with your body weight

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've watched a lot of videos of you guys riding. Especially Georgiaroller. I'm guessing being lowered makes your pegs drag a lot easier. Does it also get you more on the edge of the rear tire? I'm at stock height and feel like I'm fairly aggressive in the corners on roads I'm familiar with. Rarely ever drag the pegs and I still have about 3/16" chicken strips. I do occasionally drag my right heel due to my foot position with the rear brake lever. What do you guys think?
Scraping your pegs is something you should try just so when it happens it won't suprise you. But, IMHO, it's dangerous. If you lean too far and scrape too much you run the risk of your tire loosing traction and that is not a good place to be. I've talked to guys who've had this happen. You could wind up in an oncoming lane and that is not good.

It's all about control in my mind...;)

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scraping your pegs is something you should try just so when it happens it won't suprise you. But, IMHO, it's dangerous. If you lean too far and scrape too much you run the risk of your tire loosing traction and that is not a good place to be. I've talked to guys who've had this happen. You could wind up in an oncoming lane and that is not good.

It's all about control in my mind...;)
I agree. My last bike was a vtx1300r. It has floor boards and I scraped them quite often. But the nine is a lot more nimble and at stock height you can lean it a lot more than the vtx.

·
Registered
643 Posts
if you ride alot of roads with long sweeping turns with advised speeds of 40 MPH or more then you could actually be riding "fairly aggressive" and not be hitting the pegs alot or need enough lean to wear the chicken strips off the very edge of the tire.

if your riding roads with a lot of posted curve speeds of 10,15,20 & 25 MPH and your still not dragging pegs or wearing off the chicken strips , then chances are your not riding what it seems the consensus of the members on this site would call "fairly aggressive".

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if you ride alot of roads with long sweeping turns with advised speeds of 40 MPH or more then you could actually be riding "fairly aggressive" and not be hitting the pegs alot or need enough lean to wear the chicken strips off the very edge of the tire.

if your riding roads with a lot of posted curve speeds of 10,15,20 & 25 MPH and your still not dragging pegs or wearing off the chicken strips , then chances are your not riding what it seems the consensus of the members on this site would call "fairly aggressive".
The long sweeping turns are what most of my rides are on. But last week I rode on Lime Creek Rd in Cedar Park, TX near Austin and it has the turns you're referring to. Very sharp and usually with elevation change at the same time. That road was challenging for me to say the least. It's easy to lock up the back tire downshifting into second going into a downhill sharp left turn. :red-faced: I wouldnt say I rode that one aggressively at all. Just survived it. Lol!

·
Registered
643 Posts
The long sweeping turns are what most of my rides are on. But last week I rode on Lime Creek Rd in Cedar Park, TX near Austin and it has the turns you're referring to. Very sharp and usually with elevation change at the same time. That road was challenging for me to say the least. It's easy to lock up the back tire downshifting into second going into a downhill sharp left turn. :red-faced: I wouldnt say I rode that one aggressively at all. Just survived it. Lol!

i wont get into a lot of stuff about ripping twisties right now, it is a different skill set then running the sweepers

but one thing i must say

if you squeeze that clutch in a corner NEVER let it out when you got the bike leaned over hard, make sure your hard breaking and gear selection is made before you are in the action of turning

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i wont get into a lot of stuff about ripping twisties right now, it is a different skill set then running the sweepers

but one thing i must say

if you squeeze that clutch in a corner NEVER let it out when you got the bike leaned over hard, make sure your hard breaking and gear selection is made before you are in the action of turning
Yeah I get that. That's why I locked up the back tire trying to get into 2nd quickly before I started turning. Appreciate the pointers. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have a hunch when I do get a chance to ride with GR and BM, I'm gonna be using a lot of throttle in the straights just to keep up..... :joke:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Just be careful

Be careful when you ride, especially if you go to Deals Gap (The Dragon). I've been there two years in a row. During my 2009 trip I had to give a newbie riding a critch rocket a ride home after he went off the road and almost went over an embankment that would've killed him. Ride safe and NEVER push it past the limits otherwise you'll pay the price, it might not be a pretty one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts