M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
SORRY, I don't pay much attention to speedo going into a corner,but, have scraped pegs and it felt solid and stable.

·
Registered
161 Posts
How exactly can you answer that question? I've scraped my pegs at 10mph and at 115 so it really depends on the actual corner. I've found that I can usually take the "Warning" speed on the corner signs and double it and then some and still be safe. BTW, in no way am I saying you try this.... ride at your own level and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My top speed in the next curve of the same length, camber and radius is going to be just a tad slower than the last one I took and said "Oh, $hit" out loud while my purdy Kuryakyn pegs were being shredded :hot: Unless the missus is with me :duck:

·
Registered
25 Posts
DFW_Warrior said:
How exactly can you answer that question? I've scraped my pegs at 10mph and at 115 so it really depends on the actual corner. I've found that I can usually take the "Warning" speed on the corner signs and double it and then some and still be safe. BTW, in no way am I saying you try this.... ride at your own level and you'll be fine.
Ouch! Poor BTW! I'm sure this wasn't meant to be as sarcastic as it sounded. I agree with DFW Warrior in his comment
and experience with estimating speed into corners by use of the speed signs.
Kingpong :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am a novice rider, but I think the bike handles great in all situations. You would never guess that it weighs 700lbs. My friends look at the bike and say "that thing is huge" or "couldn't you have bought something bigger?", but when they sit on it they can't believe how well balanced it is.

Always ride to your level though.

panther06

·
Registered
315 Posts
I take the corners as hard as i can, mostly to the point just before I feel uncomfortable. I'm not out to prove I can out corner the next guy just enjoying my skill level. If I get in a corner and the beast wants to go wide or stand up, I lay the outside leg against the tank with a little pressure (not much) and she holds the corner like a sport bike and you can eat up the pegs and accelerate out of the corner.

The guys I ride with are amaze how much I lean this beast over in the corners. Since putting on the lowering bone I had too make some adjustments because now the pegs hit sooner.

Have fun but ride safe.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I can testify to pegs fully folded up, deep in sweepers at about 80mph. Actually, probably even faster than that and over 100mph in between the turns. When pushing like this in sweepers, I'd be in 3rd gear, full throttle from turn to turn and looking at the tach and not the speedo. In a sharper series of turns, I hit the rev limiter in 2nd repeatedly running it up in anticipation of using the decel back pressure of the bike for braking. Then hard front brake combined with lighter back brake, keeping trail braking on the rear, back full on the throttle in 2nd and then releasing the back brake.

It certainly handles well enough to get your blood pumpin.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
jazzman said:
It certainly handles well enough to get your blood pumpin.
Big +1 on that :a18:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is what I am looking for, the adrenalin rush you feel when you are leaning into and through a curve. Riding the bike hard, however knowing the bike and rider's limitation. Knowing it is cruiser, but handling it as a sport bike.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The pull you get from this thing in 2nd gear at 4500 rpm comeing out of a 20 mph curve, then grabbing 3rd and let it pull for a few seconds and then stand it on its nose with the brakes so you can drop into the next one , is a rush and very addictive :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bombero109 said:
What is your top speed cornering and how does the M109 handle the curve?
Really just depends on how sharp the corner is. Experience is going to be your best teacher. Pick a corner you like, and run the bike through the corner while you get a feel for picking the right line - speed - and lean angle through the corner. Start out slow and increase speed as you get used to the bike in the corner.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Kingpong said:
Ouch! Poor BTW! I'm sure this wasn't meant to be as sarcastic as it sounded. I agree with DFW Warrior in his comment
and experience with estimating speed into corners by use of the speed signs.
Kingpong :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
I honestly didn't mean it as bad as it sounded. It is just that during the past year I've had three riders go down while riding with our group because they were riding over their head and thinking, "Well, if his bike can do it then mine can too." Not knowing the original posters experience I didn't want him to just believe that because I can safely double the warning speeds on corners doesn't mean that someone else on similar equipment can. I'm not trying to say that I'm some great rider, because I'm not. I just wanted to mainly cover my butt.

But really, I didn't mean it bad.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
DFW_Warrior said:
I honestly didn't mean it as bad as it sounded. It is just that during the past year I've had three riders go down while riding with our group because they were riding over their head and thinking, "Well, if his bike can do it then mine can too." Not knowing the original posters experience I didn't want him to just believe that because I can safely double the warning speeds on corners doesn't mean that someone else on similar equipment can. I'm not trying to say that I'm some great rider, because I'm not. I just wanted to mainly cover my butt.

I didn't think you sounded sarcastic in that post either but I guess some people might have ::)

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
DFW_Warrior said:
I'm not trying to say that I'm some great rider, because I'm not.
Compared to the average rider, you most certainly ARE! :bigthumbsup:

And I share your sentiments regarding riders going down on rides. It has happened so many times here that I've resorted to doing most of my rides solo.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
DFW_Warrior said:
I honestly didn't mean it as bad as it sounded. It is just that during the past year I've had three riders go down while riding with our group because they were riding over their head and thinking, "Well, if his bike can do it then mine can too." Not knowing the original posters experience I didn't want him to just believe that because I can safely double the warning speeds on corners doesn't mean that someone else on similar equipment can. I'm not trying to say that I'm some great rider, because I'm not. I just wanted to mainly cover my butt.

It is easy to get caught up in the he can so I can train of thought while you are riding. It is especially easy when you are riding matching bikes. I was amazed that I scraped my pipes on my last mountain run but I still was not trying to keep up with both the riders I was following. I find that when I follow someone faster than me I am faster. But with each turn if they are really getting on it, they pull further and further away. I try to use them as my extra set of eyes more than my extra courage.
If you see them brake in the middle of a turn, they may see something you cannot.

I am glad that several times my riding buddies had to slow up and wait for me because I had backed off a llittle compared to them.

Sledzep

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorry to add another important point to that topic:

It all depends on weather and road conditions!

If you have a wet road with some autumn leaves for a nice slide down the next trench...go slow!
If you have a dry road with some gravel just enough to make your skin peel off when your behind touches it...go slow!
If you have a dry road you know and see some girls you want to impress...do as you please! :evil:

Watch out for roadkill, oil, plastic bags, playing children etc. but in the end it all depends on YOU and your skills!

Have fun, but keep your brain working!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts