M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This took a little staring to notice, but the risers sit at different angles to the tripltree top causing the left side bar to sit slightly lower than the right. but looking at how the risers mount, I can't see any way to "adjust" it. Its just one bolt sandwiching a rubber between the riser and the tree.Or so it seems. Anyone who's had these parts apart let me know the error in my thinking on this. Can't stand that picture hangin' on the wall crooked either!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've never driven a bike with straight handlebars :evil: ...so if these are crooked it would feel natual to me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If it's realy bothering you, then I'd take it to the dealer. On my Warrior, I have aftermarket drag bars made by Yamaha that are slightly crooked as well (I'm not the only one, either), so I can live with it being slightly off.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Well it's nice to be able to help as a newbie :p

I had the same thing, not much but enuff to annoy, I was at
the dealer to get a few minor adjustments done and I pointed
out that I thought the bars were lower on the brake side, so the
wrench sits on the bike and agreed with me (surprise)......

Anyhow he thinks a bit has a look around...goes round to the front
of the bike....locks the front wheel between his legs and yanks the
bars...THAT DID IT :)

The risers are rubber mounted as ya'll know and the was unuff to
"adjust" em.

Kev
MIG#437

·
Registered
414 Posts
Kev said:
Well it's nice to be able to help as a newbie :p

I had the same thing, not much but enuff to annoy, I was at
the dealer to get a few minor adjustments done and I pointed
out that I thought the bars were lower on the brake side, so the
wrench sits on the bike and agreed with me (surprise)......

Anyhow he thinks a bit has a look around...goes round to the front
of the bike....locks the front wheel between his legs and yanks the
bars...THAT DID IT :)

The risers are rubber mounted as ya'll know and the was unuff to
"adjust" em.

Kev
MIG#437
Well, I wouldn't consider that fixed myself...one good bump and it may go back or get worse...they should be tightened so they can't be moved like that...heck, they can overtighten screws everywhere else on the bike...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
steelfaber--- I noticed this on one of the bikes on the floor at my local dealer.
I believe that one side is just pulled down tighter than the other,It has a rubber mount as you know,and i think it's just a matter of tightening down the bolts and making sure it is even when you are done.when he snatched the bars and it was straight he probably just made the rubber move,and it will move again if the bolt is not snug or torqued correctly , just my thoughts on the matter :D
the reason i think this is because you could see the different in the riser, and I'm sure they are the same size,so the difference has to be the rubber under them and how tight the bolts are that hold them on.this is my guess anyway I don't think the bars them self would be crooked,IMO
Just 1/16 difference would move the end of the bar a lot :eek:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I don't know......I really didn't stare at it for more.........then.....30....40minutes....at a time.........OH... :redfaced:....but if it looks COCKEYED.....take it apart and put back together....its just....handle bars :bigthumbsup:......get to know your machine

:joke: :joke: :joke:
simper fi....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Crazy...I thought maybe I was nuts...my handlebars are the same way :eek:

·
Registered
443 Posts
cbxer55 said:
One way to tell for sure is measure them. Measure from the end of the bars
to the center of the front axle, or some other point that is the same on both sides.
You should get a identical number on both sides. I DID!
Sometimes it is just a perception thing.
You think they are crooked, cant get it out of your mind.
Measure them and re-assure yourself.
I dont know how many times this has happened to me.
To many to remember.
Measuring them always proved me wrong.
Or the difference was miniscule.

Robert Hill
Midwest City, OK.
Good post. I've done the same thing myself. Going down the road, you think something is out of whack, then it starts eating on you. After checking it out, it is usually an illusion. :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the imput guys, what set me to staring at it was that the tach looked level and the space between the tach and bars wasn't equal on both sides. And you know you just gotta walk all the way across the room to straighten that crooked picture on the wall before it drives you nuts !!!! :doorag:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts