M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,new member,but big suz and 109 fan,i have a 2007 m109r,,the current handle bar system is not working out due to causing back problems on long trips(multiple 400 mile days),i just bought 2'' riser ext and suddenly realised all the cables are too short,has anyone put 2 or 3'' risers on and if they have what all did you have to replace iecables,hydraulic lines,wiring etc and where did you get em?love the bike but got to get the handle bar thing figured out or has anyone else tried different bars?????there are a lot of posts on here,hope to find the solution,,,,thx

·
Registered
655 Posts
do a search and I am sure you will find your answers. There are many members that have put the 2" risers on and they just rerouted the cables and such so that they work ok with the taller risers. Some also purchesed longer cables and break lines from DLP or another site.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
If you add 2" or more risers, you should replace your cables with the +2" ones otherwise you could have a binding issue.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
im suffering from the same issue (back) how do the 2 in risers help you on that aspect?

Also, ive seen numerous threads in refernce to chaging out your cables for longer ones and for just rerouting them.

Let me know how it works out for you..ill be doing mine soon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx guys, i have a fair idea of the aftermarket parts available,just wanted to talk to some of the guys that have done this already ,and avoid any mistakes, if any that were made and see if it was worth it,?did it cause any more vibration ?cause the more the bars are away from the tree the more vib you get , i run the istate at 80 and i dont need any more vibration,longer cables is the way to go and the safest but like any bikerknows you dont want to tie up money in parts that dont work....

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
My back rest helped my back out tons.... now my [email protected]@ hurts now way before my back does.... :bigthumbsup:

im suffering from the same issue (back) how do the 2 in risers help you on that aspect?

Also, ive seen numerous threads in refernce to chaging out your cables for longer ones and for just rerouting them.

Let me know how it works out for you..ill be doing mine soon

·
Registered
27 Posts
thx guys, i have a fair idea of the aftermarket parts available,just wanted to talk to some of the guys that have done this already ,and avoid any mistakes, if any that were made and see if it was worth it,?did it cause any more vibration ?cause the more the bars are away from the tree the more vib you get , i run the istate at 80 and i dont need any more vibration,longer cables is the way to go and the safest but like any bikerknows you dont want to tie up money in parts that dont work....
Hey White 9,

Small world, I live in Loveland - I just put 2" risers on my 109, routed the cables in the back of the tree. Figured I can get longer cables later.
I'll send you a PM, we should get together.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
No difference in vibration that I can feel. I plan to go for 3" + cables at some point, just too much other good stuff to buy. :D

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
My wife, Bikergranny, has the kewlmetal 2" risers (circular holes), Spiegler +2 brake lines, Barnette +3 clutch cable, and +2 barnett push and pull throttle cables.

Absolutely no issues of any vibration on the highway or anywhere else. Even though they are pulled back, the risers are still torqued down to factory spec. You also have the factory tach mount that goes between them and that adds further stability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
goin to head over to ortangas ,have alook at his set up and see what the deal is ,thx for the info

·
Registered
68 Posts
2" risers fit without using new cables. Nothing rubs or binds.
You do have to reroute them somewhat extensively, but I promise OEMs work.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums
/showthread.php?p=1347703#post1347703

·
Registered
219 Posts
risers

3" risers, replaced all cables with braided, NP at all at 120 mph, (not that I do that very often) This mod should solve your problem with comfort I should have done it sooner!

·
Registered
757 Posts
IMO if you get 2" riser ext. You have to get longer cables. I did the reroute thing and then you gotta leave enough play in the cables to keep it from throttling up when you turn to the right lock. Or you can rotate your bars down some but that defeats the purpose of having taller risers. Yeah, you can get away with it if you like shortcuts and potential disasters.my advice is to spend a few more bucks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
search for Big Joe on You Tube.

I added 2" risers and are good to go with no issues. I will add +2 or +3 cables later.

·
Registered
757 Posts
search for Big Joe on You Tube.

I added 2" risers and are good to go with no issues. I will add +2 or +3 cables later.
Does your cable ever touch the speedo housing? Lock2lock . If it does, even if its only when you turn, then your chrome WILL get dulled.

·
Registered
203 Posts
3" Risers

I put 3" Risers on. I went with the 3" Spiegler and Barnett Kits. It's a new bike.

Ride Safe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts