M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about putting on a set of kuryakyn iso grips. I would imagine some of you have done this yourself but I've never seen it done and wouldn't have the first clue on how to do it. Is it fairly easy or easier to just take it to dealer and have them do it? If its fairly easy and someone could tell me how to do it, I'll do it that way. Otherwise the shop will get more of my money :verymad:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I JUST PUT A SET ON MY BIKE FIRST THING IS YOU HAVE TO GET THE UNIVERSAL SET .ON THE CLUTCH SIDE ALL YOU DO IS CUT THE ORIGINAL ONE WITH A RAZOR BLADE AND APPLY THE GLUE AND SLIDE IT ON .ON THE BREAK SIDE YOU FIRST CUT THE OLD ONE OFF AND SAND DOWN THE RAISED RIBS ON THE ON THE THROTTLE SLEVE AND APPLY THE GLUE AND SLIDE THE NEW ONE ON TIME ABOUT 20 MIN TOPS

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
good to know. i ordered the ones for suzuki. they may not fit, we'll see.

p.s. what does ISO stand for?

·
Registered
817 Posts
sixshooter said:
IÂ JUST PUTÂ A SET ON MY BIKE FIRST THING IS YOU HAVE TO GET THE UNIVERSAL SETÂ .ON THE CLUTCH SIDE ALL YOU DO IS CUT THE ORIGINAL ONE WITH A RAZOR BLADE AND APPLY THE GLUE AND SLIDE IT ON .ON THE BREAK SIDE YOU FIRST CUT THE OLD ONE OFFÂ AND SAND DOWN THE RAISED RIBSÂ ON THEÂ ON THE THROTTLE SLEVE AND APPLY THE GLUE AND SLIDE THE NEW ONE ONÂ Â TIME ABOUT 20 MIN TOPS
I don't think glue application is necessary on the throttle side if you get the Suzuki-compatible ones. They have a throttle sleeve and slots for the cables and everything. Much easier than using the Universal set, and less messy.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I put ISO's on my 109.
It's fairly easy except the cables where they connect to the grip rotaries.
You have to be real careful to not to bend either the throttle (2) or clutch cables.
Then, after cutting the left grip off, clean the bar well with thinner and sand it lightly with something like 300 sandpaper.
Then, be sure to decide how you want the left grip aligned (probably a mirror image of the right one).
Then, squeze the provided adhesive (it's probably super glue) evenly on the bar and a bit inside he grip if you have any left over.
Have a couple of Q-tips or a piece of paper towel ready and push the grip all the way in one swift motion all the way. Quickly clean any off that squishes up between the grip and the clutch lever housing.
There you have it!
Bradbike

·
Registered
817 Posts
Another hint -- throw the glue away that they give you in the kit. It IS super glue and bonds instantly. You have maybe three seconds to get it perfect. If you should happen to make the slightest mistake or misalignment, or don't get them pushed in all the way or whatever, you are totally S.O.L.

Gorilla Glue is more than strong enough, and you'll have about 15 minutes to get it on there exactly the way you want.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just went and got a pair. I didn't get the universal ones. I got the one with part #6235. It was easy once I knew what I was doing. Throttle is easiest. Tap off end caps, pop off cables and slide it off. Slide new one one, hook up cables and wala. Only had to glue on clutch side. Tap off end caps, cut rubber off, clean it up and glue the other one on. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Kuryakan hasn't updated their site for 109's - Morons... I bought the 6325's cuz they're for the M90 and 1600
I'm putting them on tomorrow - if wrong I'll let u know.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bluecruzer said:
Kuryakan hasn't updated their site for 109's - Morons... I bought the 6325's cuz they're for the M90 and 1600
I'm putting them on tomorrow - if wrong I'll let u know.
6325? I have 6235. Ya might wanna check the # to make sure. These say they are for Kawasaki drifter, Nomad, and 800/1500 vulcans 96 to present. Yamaha venture, and royal star. Basically it fits any with a 1 inch bar. They do work though. Mine went on perfect

·
Registered
169 Posts
See a whole lot of Kury and ISO grips out there. I went with SAC's instead. Comfortable and color matched leather.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
yea i did the grips as soon as i got the bike had them on my Vulcan so i put them on my M109 and i love them to make the switch took about 20 minutes and i was off and riding

·
Registered
231 Posts
ditch said:
 6325? I have 6235. Ya might wanna check the # to make sure. These say they are for Kawasaki drifter, Nomad, and 800/1500 vulcans 96 to present. Yamaha venture, and royal star. Basically it fits any with a 1 inch bar. They do work though. Mine went on perfect
Yep, meant 6235 :redfaced:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
sjnoble2 said:
See a whole lot of Kury and ISO grips out there. I went with SAC's instead. Comfortable and color matched leather.

I really like the look of those! I was looking at those the other day and seriously considering them. I think you just helped me make my decision! Very nice!! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Tip use compressed air,and blow the grips off,may want them,and put new one's on with air too.I use liquid nail, it will hold them and you still can remove.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts