M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's. Is there some trick to removing the handlebar clamp bolt caps? I thought they just pried off, but mine are stuck to no end.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Just use a blade of a knife or puddy knife to work them off. The an allen head bolt underneath that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wanted to find out from someone who had taken them off before. I've taken similar one off before, but not stuck this bad. I guess if I ruin them I can always buy more.

Thanks for the adv

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike has additional 3" risers on it. They used steel bolts instead of stainless to attach them. Probably because of the length they had to be. Whoever done the mod must not have wanted to take the extra trouble to find the stainless ones. Bolt heads had a lot of rust which complicated matters. I got them off. Broke one of them. The cover itself is OK. May silicone them back on until I get new ones.

Thanks

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
The bolts that come with the riser extensions are all regular steel bolts. Mine rusted as well, so I took them out and painted them black. I've had those caps off a couple times and have a small nick in the bottom of each one that's barely noticeable, so I just make sure to put the nicked area down when I reinstall them. Usually the bottom of them sits up a little so you can get something under them.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The bike has additional 3" risers on it. They used steel bolts instead of stainless to attach them. Probably because of the length they had to be. Whoever done the mod must not have wanted to take the extra trouble to find the stainless ones. Bolt heads had a lot of rust which complicated matters. I got them off. Broke one of them. The cover itself is OK. May silicone them back on until I get new ones.

Thanks
Just off the top of my head, check Home Depot in their Hardware section. They have a great selection of stainless steel allen heads bolts. They "should" have the correct size for a replacement as far as thread sice, pitch, and length. Might get lucky.

No Fastenal out here in Hawaii, so H-D is my nut and bolt shop out here. Cheaper, and haven't struck out yet when I need hardware for the bikes. :bigthumbsup:

As far as the caps, just get them from the dealer. Not pricey.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts