M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current helmet is a Arai Q2 and I love it. However, after riding around in it this past weekend enduring 90+ degree tempuratures at Biketoberfest, I thought getting a nice halfy for those times when I choose to ride in huge traffic jams at unbearable temps would be a smart thing to do.

I did a quick check it one web site and found a couple of HJC models. The CL-21 at about $67 and the AC-2 at about $95. looks like the main difference between the 2 is ventilation.

Whats the opinion here. Are there brands of halfys that I should definately consider? Is the price for these about right?

Thanks all.
Mark

·
Registered
890 Posts
It's your head,
But for me full faced, full time! I live in New Mexico and it gots HOT here but not hot enough for me to wear a halfie. On the 9, might as well wear nothing...JMHO. By the way I own 2 and they have taken up redidence on my gear shelf...collecting dust. Yep, I have worn both... not while riding the Beast though. I've gotten so used to the full face (Icon) that I even wear it not when I ride the 800 Intruder.

Devilish

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't mis-understand me. I'm not thinking about switching helmets. My idea is to take both with me. Using the full for the trip and then switching to the half when i'm on main st with 10,000 other bikers doing 10 miles an hour.

·
Registered
42 Posts
x_caliber50 said:
My current helmet is a Arai Q2 and I love it. However, after riding around in it this past weekend enduring 90+ degree tempuratures at Biketoberfest, I thought getting a nice halfy for those times when I choose to ride in huge traffic jams at unbearable temps would be a smart thing to do.

I did a quick check it one web site and found a couple of HJC models. The CL-21 at about $67 and the AC-2 at about $95. looks like the main difference between the 2 is ventilation.

Whats the opinion here. Are there brands of halfys that I should definately consider? Is the price for these about right?

Thanks all.
Mark
8) I wear both full face and half shell. My favorite half shell for the looks and the price is the leather covered Vega. It is more oblong or oval shaped. Usually in the 50-60 dollar range. None of the half helmets are very safe though IMHO!

Doc

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
BTW x_caliber50 my above post was not intended for you :bigthumbsup: you ask about half helmets and got opinions on half vs full instead ........... don't know about you but I feel we all know the pros/cons of the two styles by now ;)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yeah bonehead, and since you clarified the "rolling eyes", you deserve to purchase all the half-helmets Non-DOT or Non-Snell approved helmets you can afford.... It's just sad, there's atleast one person in this world, worships the ground you walk on, and Loves you dearly.... BTW you don't own a Harley, Do you?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Thats what I love about this place opinions are everywhere :bigthumbsup:

Oh and I do wear a full face and would not have a half ,but thats my opinion :p
and about the ground I walk on , as long as its solid that all I care about :joke:

·
Registered
205 Posts
This place has some nice carbon fiber halfshells, in both non DOT and DOT approved. They are pricey for half shells but they have some of the best carbon work I've seen and their DOT helmet doesn't make you look like a mushroom head. http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
x_caliber50 said:
Don't mis-understand me. I'm not thinking about switching helmets. My idea is to take both with me. Using the full for the trip and then switching to the half when i'm on main st with 10,000 other bikers doing 10 miles an hour.
:bigthumbsup:http://www.helmetsetc.com/shortys.asp#gj

·
Registered
516 Posts
Half helmets are great! :bigthumbsup:

...........If you got half a head :joke:

I have a convertible, you can flip the chin up to make it half helmet if you so desire.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I just bought a KBC helmet for $240.00 and it has a chin button that converts from full to half face. Best of both worlds. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
I don't have any experience with either helmet, sorry. I do know that ventilation is not a big issue with half helmets. Most have ventilation in front to force air in but not many have a way to take the hot air out. Have you considered getting a helmet with a lift up chin bar? You can flip it up when sitting in traffic. Nolan has a couple of nice ones that seem to be reasonably priced.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well looks like the weather broke and I seem to be ridding in mid sixties temps everyday now. It's just too damn cold to wear anything other than full helmets now. So I guess I can put this decision off til next spring. Thanks for the help all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts