M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I commute to work every day unless it's raining when I leave the house, or is gonna definitely be raining when I get off. It's not that I mind riding in the rain, I just hate the detailing job after I'm done. Anyway, as has been typical of late, Accuweather.com forcast put me in dry weather both for my commute to and from work based on their hour by hour forecast. I work 24 hours, so this means looking at two different days. I rode my 35 miles to work yesterday morning and it was all good. This morning is another story. It's raining like mad. I check the radar image, and can tell that it's raining pretty good in my county (BIG area of yellow and reds), and apparently had been doing so for a while now... Ok, no problem I think to myself. I've ridden in the rain several times before, and it can actually be enjoyable. I have a good set of gear that is waterproof. Got good gloves, and have my full face helmet... I'm all set. When I finally leave, the rain is minimal, but I know what the radar showed I was headed toward. I get into Richmond Co, and am approaching the NC Speedway when I really start hitting the heavy stuff. I keep treading along since my visibility is relatively good and there is minimal traffic. The posted speed limit is 55, and I feel comfortable with going that speed. I'll come to regret that in a few minutes. As I come to the speedway, Hwy 177 veers to the left and US 1 continues straight. There are islands in the road dividing turning lanes and such. As I approach these islands, I notice the road looks like it's got some standing water on it. Right at this moment, I see a truck parked up ahead in a small gas station parking lot start flashing his headlights at me. It's then that I realize this is more than just a little standing water. I hit my brakes to try to stop before hitting it, but my back tire loses traction quickly. My front is fine, but I'm not squeezing it hard in an effort to keep traction on my front. Basically, I'm just along for the ride. My mind is preparing for the worst. I'm thinking to myself, "Just keep driving the bike until it tosses you. Don't give up." I hit the water at about 35mph, and it's over 1 foot deep. I'm not giving throttle at this point... I'm still trying to slow and just maintain control. As I'm finally getting slowed, I try to quickly downshift to plow through, but the bike stalls in 3rd gear. I'm about 30 foot into it with another 20-30 foot to go. I put my feet down, and the water is up to my mid shin. I stomp the shifter down to first and pray that the bike re-starts. It fired right up, and I drove out the other side.

I hear all these stories where your life flashes before your eyes, but I don't remember that happening. I just remember thinking "Don't panic, maintain control." I truely thought I was going down. I guess if I was gonna wreck, I would rather do it like that... at least the water would have lessened the impact some. I learned this morning that I should have anticipated the possibility of flooded roads since the radar image showed it had been dumping heavy rain for at least an hour. All I was thinking was, "I've got good gear, I'll stay dry." To a point, that was right.. I stayed dry... until I put my foot down in the water. My boots quickly became buckets filled with water. I'm just happy to be writing this. This bike really handled well in over a foot of water. At no point in the deep stuff did I feel like it was losing control. It just plowed right in, and drove through it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Now the 109 is good for surfing, who knew. Lol. Glad to hear that you didn't lay her down. I believe that not getting nervous when facing a situation like this can be the difference between staying up or going down (IMO). Be safe and never trust the weather forcasters!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
That sounds scary..glad you are OK! :bigthumbsup:
I've hit road flooding in my Nissan Patrol at speed... a huge sheet of water completely shuts down vision, you feel the heavy vehicle lift on the water and you can but hope you are still going straight at the end. Bike would be worse, because balance and orientation would be jumbled when you lost vision.

·
Registered
775 Posts
glad you made it through, and stayed right side up. great control, good thinking all the way through. is the kind of calm we all hope we'll have when/if the time comes :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Sounds like you stayed pretty calm and collected. Had a plan and kept thinking about riding through it. If you had panicked you probably would have just been part of the "life flashed before my eyes" movie. Glad it all turned out ok in the end.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Dude I'm seriously glad you're ok.. but I gotta tell ya, the alternate uses for the 9 just keep wracking up...

Surf board (Medic1210)
Dirt Bike (Firecat)
Chick Magnet (All male owners 8)
HD Slayer (Everyone with TTTS -- Twist The Throttle Syndrome) :D

Gotta love a versatile machine! 8)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
glad you made it thru,like others typed...have fun detailing now!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Everything happened so quickly, I really didn't have much time to think of anything but driving the bike. I thought about it, and realized that I was glad it was still raining pretty hard... because it kept me at the speed limit. Had the rain subsided, I would have very likely been going my usual 70 or so which means I would have hit the water at least 15 Mph faster. Then again, I would have probably seen the water sooner since it would have stood out on an otherwise dry road. When the rain is coming down like it was this morning, it made it difficult to tell the road was covered from any real distance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Glad you kept your head and the good samaratian.Time and circumstance,we're all prisoners to it.Everytime I've been in real danger,my reflexes saved me.Was okay during the incident,but afterward my thinking on it and realizing how bad it could have been...that's when the fear and the 'what if's' give me the willeys :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dan Tanna said:
 Glad you kept your head and the good samaratian.Time and circumstance,we're all prisoners to it.Everytime I've been in real danger,my reflexes saved me.Was okay during the incident,but afterward my thinking on it and realizing how bad it could have been...that's when the fear and the 'what if's' give me the willeys :(
+1 Glad your ok :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mack400 said:
Hey, I would think the driver flashing his lights did you a favor. JOHN
I agree 100%, though I have to admit that my first thought after the incident was not so much of "Thank You" as a "Hey, thanks for nothing bud." You see, the southbound lane was the only lane that was really flooded since the islands in the road dammed up the water from flooding the northbound lane. He was on the southbound side in a parking lot. To me, it was obvious he was just sitting there to warn traffic since the store was not open, and he was the only one there and was facing north. It was this reason that I was somewhat pissed, because he knew that lane was flooded, but didn't take a position north of the flooding to warn traffic sooner. Where he was, he wasn't that obvious until I was almost right on top of the water. I know this wasn't the best attitude to have at the time. At least he did try to warn me. I just wasn't really feeling it like that with my adrenaline flowing like it was, thinking he should be north of the flooding. At any rate, I'm thankful he was there, because it was his signal that told me the water I was seeing must have been deeper than I expected. Had he not been there, I may have just expected an inch or two of water. Still, I never expected to end up plowing through a foot of standing water.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
DaltonH said:
Dude I'm seriously glad you're ok.. but I gotta tell ya, the alternate uses for the 9 just keep wracking up...

Surf board (Medic1210)
Dirt Bike (Firecat)
Chick Magnet (All male owners 8)
HD Slayer (Everyone with TTTS -- Twist The Throttle Syndrome)Â Â :D

Gotta love a versatile machine! 8)
Technically, the bike could be a chick magnet for female owners as well....

·
Registered
441 Posts
Be gratefull for what he did he could have kept on trucking like every one Else. but because of him you slowed down . your out come could have bin worse. :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts