M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody put these on the 109 yet? I saw that many have switched to the PIAA bulb, just haven't seen where the HID's have been installed :dontknow:. Would there be any issue with heat in the Light Nacell?

Just curious, I might try them in the spring....

Don

·
Registered
568 Posts
Do a search. I put one on awhile back and there is a post about it. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Bob

·
Registered
59 Posts
No, but I put an OSRAM 64205 (70w/65w) Hyper lamp in and it work great! Lots of lumens for a few extra watts and it doesn't overheat the headlight assy. It's not as "white" as the PIAA's or HID, but definitely more light than the PIAAs.

OSRAM also has a 64206 bulb that's 85w/80w and over 2000 lumens. Not sure if that would be too hot running or too many amps with the passing switch.

I prolly should've started a new thread with this  :D

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I read that the HID light needs 15 to 30 seconds to cool down once turned off, BEFORE it will light up again. If turn your bike off at night, and start it up right away, you will have no light for half a minute.. Is that right?
It's not likely you will shut you bike off, and start it up to leave again within 30 seconds, but it could be annoying if this is the case.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The Xenon bulb is only 35 watts and runs cooler than a stock bulb. I have never had any trouble with it. It does take a few seconds for the bulb to light up even when first turning on. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Bob

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well,
I have just completed the HID installed and love it, Bright and Clear :bigthumbsup: The install was super easy. I placed the ballast and relay in the headlight nacelle, plenty of room in there!! I remember somebody asking if the Stebel Horn would fit in there, I'd have to say YES with no problem at all.

I ordered my HID's from www.gohid.com got the H-4 Hi-Lo with the 7000k bulb didn't want to get to blue or purple. These are sweet :doorag: Oh, they are a little pricey but, (Dayyyys Niiiiiizzzzze) ;)

Don

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I read that the HID light needs 15 to 30 seconds to cool down once turned off, BEFORE it will light up again
damn, that answers the question i was about to ask...guess no headlight modulators for HID setups :(. guess i'll stick with the PIAA

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Fellers,
The delay isn't that long, it's more like 5 seconds, Heck, start the bike put on the ole brain bucket and ride :bigthumbsup: Takes longer than 5 seconds to do all that anyway! I love the mod and think for the added visability and safety it's well worth the extra $$$. I would highly recommend getting the 7000k or lower (the lower the k's the brighter they are) or the whiter. Mine have a nice lite blue hue and work really well on High or Low beam. That's my 2 cents.

Don

·
Registered
568 Posts
I can not say for sure, but those that are doing the ballast mounting inside the cowl might want to check to see how much heat this ballast is putting out. I will check it myself this week-end. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Bob

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I checked out the website http://www.xenonrider.com/ and had some questions so I emailed them

Q = How much are replacement bulbs?
A = The regular xenon replacement bulbs are $35 each. The H4 Hi/Lo replacement bulbs are $60 each. They will be added to the website shortly.

Q = In the dual lights, is the high beam a true xenon too??

A = The H4 Hi/Lo kit has built-in magnetic mechanisms that move the Xenon bulbs back and forth to change the lighting angle for high-beam and low-beam (instead of having 2 xenon bulbs and 4 ballasts, or 2 Xenon bulbs and 2 halogen bulbs).

Q = Hoe hot does the ballast get??

A = The ballasts do get somewhat hot. I am pretty sure it is not hot enough to melt plastic, but to be on the safe side, you can put some sort of insolatoin pad behind the ballast or use a couple of small washer/spacers when you mount the ballast.

Sledzep

·
Registered
568 Posts
sledzep01

+1 that sounds right from what I remember. :read: That is why I mounted mine on the back of the cowl. I was worried about how much heat buid up there would be inside the cowl. :bigthumbsup: :doorag: :bigthumbsup:

Bob

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Sled,
I have the High/Low both Xenon and it works real well, I mounted the igniter(ballast) on the back black plastic piece inside the Nacelle, the part with the 2 snap pins :bigthumbsup:. I used some VELCRO, that should be good for some insulation. There are plenty of hole in that piece as well so heat shouldn't be a problem.
The magnet thing makes a (clunk) when it goes back to Low beam. I'm sure that is a normality!

Don

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I think I am moving this to my //purchase/finalists folder for whaen I get some cash. If it is bright enough I wont need to install extra driving lights (motolights)

Sledzep

·
Registered
448 Posts
I went with the Hi-lo SYSTEM, The pics are shown in the Lo mode. The Hi mode is killer. Going to work
today and the difference between this and the SilverStar that I had is NO comparision (I was impressed
with the SilverStar over the stocker, but this just blows the SilverStar away) Now the freeway ramps
which was very dark is now very bright. I was thinking about the motolights, but I decided to go with the
HID setup instead, and I'm glad I did, lot's more light at 1/3 the price of the motolights. Highly recommended MOD (ask anyone who did ths conversion :bigthumbsup:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
So is the "Hi-Lo" the same as "Bi Xenon"? I'm trying to order mine but not sure which one is the right one for keeping High Beams..

z4woo that looks :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts