M109 Rider Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
so let me get this straight. your calling the Id of the pipe a sleeve that is the length of the pipe? and that this is part of the baffle? guess maybe im using the wrong termnoigy. Im assuming these are twin walled pipes at least the top one. And when I say baffle I wass assuming that which restrics flow IE a wall with a tube or atube with 5 tubes around it is what is called a baffle. When you cut out the back wall you have a tube going through a wall (baffle) with five tubes around the center tube, the five are welded to the center and the wall is welded to the Id of the pipe. At least in mine If i could get a camara shot in my pipe you would see part of the wall still welded to the ID of the pipe.

Hey I dont want to get in a pissing match it is what it is. again thanks for getting me started on this took me several months to get the guts up to do it. It does sound awsome.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
so let me get this straight. your calling the Id of the pipe a sleeve that is the length of the pipe? and that this is part of the baffle? guess maybe im using the wrong termonolgy. Im assuming these are twin walled pipes at least the top one. And when I say baffle I was assuming that which restrics flow IE a wall with a tube or atube with 5 tubes around it is what is called a baffle. When you cut out the back wall you have a tube going through a wall (baffle) with five tubes around the center tube, the five are welded to the center and the wall is welded to the Id of the pipe. At least in mine If i could get a camara shot in my pipe you would see part of the wall still welded to the ID of the pipe.

Hey I dont want to get in a pissing match it is what it is. again thanks for getting me started on this took me several months to get the guts up to do it. It does sound awsome.
If your talking about the top pipe, Yes, What your looking at now is the last wall of the baffle left inside. And if you look at the pics i put in, you will see that the baffle just slides into a seal, at the beginning of the pipe. And yes it goes all the way. Yes the gatlin gun is inside the sleeve. And just out side the baffle is insulation.

The bottom one is tacked to the ID of the pipe. You also have a crome cover over the bottom pipe.

The Q i ask is, did you cut off the end of the pipe or did you leave it there and cut just the plate off to work inside?
What I do notice is that the top pipe is rolled back inside itself and welded to the back plate and the end of the baffle. So the hole is to small to pull the baffle out. I had told some people on here that its easy to just cut the tip and back plate off with a saws-all. Then you can slide the baffle out and put new tips on the pipe's. I like the look of the stock pipes so i pulled the baffle threw. It was like pulling a big calf out of a cow. But we got it out..lol.

Have fun playing. Good luck. I'll help the best i can.

Its not no easy task, I'm not wanting to fight. I'm just trying to do the best i can with out cameras. I had to wait till people started doing it to try to get it done right. After doing two or three you can have it down.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Its all cool with me. I see what your saying. I cut out the back plate to keep the integrety of the pipe intact. I think this is also much eaiser to do this way for the average joe who doesnt have a welder. so yes the inner pipe is intact with all the insulation, taking it out would be pointless as there would be no better flow and you would loose your insulation and strength of the pipe IMO. There are several ways it seems.

on a side note maybe we should have this thread moved to the how too section with all the instructions here.LOL

keep the shiney side up friend.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Thats what I was hoping Rock. That someone would make a video with step by step to do it. Its a hard task, so it would be good for people to see and know what you need to get the job done.

I guess there two ways to do it. You can cut the end off the top pipe and slide the baffle out in one peace or leave it stock and chop the baffle out and take it out in peaces. The nice thing about the bottom one if you have a welder you can grind the tack that holds the tip and take it off to do the job and tack it back on.

I also think that it would be smart for some to take the pipes off the jugs so the jugs don't get banged around. Be safer for some.

The nice thing about it is there is no sound out there like that and you can hear it coming five miles away and know its a nine.

Yes Rock i would say leave the sleeve. The gage on the top pipe is thiner then the bottom one.

Now i got to work on getting people to know about the 280 on a stock rim. I also found a sweet tire for the nine in the front. Its called a Duro. Its stock size but more of a bell shape so you have more rubber on the road in the corners. That is another story for a another thread.

Love the video Yellow made.

Three years later and it finely got done. I did that job back in the summer of 07.

Thanks Rock and Yellow for getting the job done and making a video would make me feel good.

Dave @ NES.stone
Village Farm

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
What about a 280 on a stock rim everyone says it is really dangerous and can ruin the tire but 260 is the biggest u can go

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I've been running the 280 for four years now. No problems. I find i run between 48 to 52 lb. I've had the bike at 140 many times in her life and no prob there either. Jamming on the handle bar rolls down fast and up smooth. Doing over 100 and jamming the bar going peg to peg. Your on more thick rubber on the edge of the tire. I run the Metz by the way.

I'm kinda waiting to finish this tire before i put a post up on it so i can have pics for proof. And thats if I can go with out getting to many nails and strews in the tire. Just got a big screw in the tire. Had to put Slime in to save the tire. I'm not much on plugs for this kind of tire and size. I have the plug set up with me in case to help the Slime. Don't like getting stuck on the road. Plus I got it if anybody else picks up a nail.

Next check i get i'll be getting another tire ready for the back. I'll be up around 8 to 9,000 on it. I do two back to one front most of the time. I'm trying out this new tire called Duro. Shaped more like a bell. I'm using about 1/3 of the tire on the corner. More rubber means more safety. Oh well nuf said. Another time another thread.

I hang in Flash Chat when i'm on the puter.

Dave @ NES.stone
Village Farm

·
Registered
3 Posts
EXHAUST DEMO

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO THIS IS A GOD SEND SITE FOR ME AS IM A NEW 109ER ABSOLUTELY LUV MY RIDEQUESTION : ARE THE 09 PIPES THE SAME AS THE 08 AND DO I NEED TO INSTALL POWER COMMANDER AND AIR KITS? ANY HELP MOST APPRECIATED

·
Registered
198 Posts
why doesnt someone just buy a used takeoff exhaust and slice it right down the middle, then take pics and put them up here so that everyone can see exactly how the pipes are layed out, inner, outer and all the welds.

kind of like a cutaway of a motor or such so you could see how it all works!!!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts