M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I took off the top tip to get the whole saw out now I drilled the back plate but there are a set of small pipes around the pipe I want to gut the top and bottom so do I need to get a big hole saw or what any tips and or pics vids would help

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Stopppppp! Ill pm tonight but I have the easy method Air chisel! yu have a late 08 they started using the gatlin gun baffel for the back it is welded everywhere. trust me I just went through all this With the help of robertmay we found the best method. 40 min.max to air chisel them out. I left the very front one in trust me its loud enough.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i got it out i took the top off and it fell right out, then i decided to gut the thing o god it sounds great saved me tons of money instead of buying a system, i will say that damn gat baffle system inside the later 08 models is a b*#@H to get out. thanks from the help of david ( Rockfordrider ) air chisel makes it a piece of cake

·
Registered
211 Posts
I want to gut mine also. Did you take any pic as you did it.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Ok so you can post a vid now and let us hear it.. Please

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah but i dont know how.
yeah there really was not any pic bc i drill 8 holes in back plate took a ait chisel and then put a metal crowbar wiggled it out.
not very hard if its a early 08 07 06 bc it does not have the extra baffles

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
If you were to cut the back plate all the way out to the outside pipe, you can slide the baffle right out of the top pipe. When you know you did it right, is when you pull the baffle out there will be insulation you have to pull out. The bottom one you can take the tip off by grinding the tack on the bottom and you can tack it back on after. The bottom after you grind the back plate off you have to bake about three tacks off inside and the baffle comes right out. No insulation on the bottom one. Now you got a deep sound. Sounds sweet too.

Now thats what you call de-baffle.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Not in the o8,s my friend they are compleatly different than what you describe. If any one nees help ask yellow or myself. there is no insulation and there is no way to ever slide it out in these models. you have to demolish it in the pipe and take out all the pieces.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not in the o8,s my friend they are compleatly different than what you describe. If any one nees help ask yellow or myself. there is no insulation and there is no way to ever slide it out in these models. you have to demolish it in the pipe and take out all the pieces.
rockfordrider can you please post some pictures...Or video...Thanks

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Hey Oinker. First let me say Impossible to do pics as the process destroyes the bafles in the pipe. shes fine got me started on this prolect (thanks bud) and then Robert May was very helpfull with some pics I just cant find the thread. Im sure you can yellow,shes fine, robert may or my self. you can even call me if you need to yellow called and i think it was helpful to him. whew ok there are several methods to removing the rear wall. I didnt want to re weld and allready did the 8 hole mod (recomended as a start) allready did the two baffle disc cut outs (recomended to start with this) but still wanted a deeper growl. sooo I took out the air saw you will need a couple of packs of blades as the welding tears them up. cut as far out as your allowed to (because of room by the side walls) dont worry about the excess there we will take care of that a real easy way. next cut around the center pipe. back wall removed. now you will have a free standing pipe up to the back baffle Ok now break out the mk-19 grenade launcher and lob one in there. Stop it was a joke.!!!! now you need to get out your air chisle or go chop that thing up it is welded everywhere. dont worry about going through the pipe I dont think it is possible as the tip is tapered so it will slide down the sides. carefull not to get it stuck. if you do wiggle the heck out of it and pull it ou and start another spot. the baaffle will be in many pieces reach in there with your arm and pull them out. then use your extended magnet and retrieve all the shavings out. Now your done go ride it. If you stil want more drill out the front baffle it is a single wall baffle or chissle that one out to but you may have trouble finding one long enough . my neighbor welded a rod on to the 18 inch one . I left the front one in it sounds real good that way.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Had to go play taxi man. Ok so now you have the gatlin gun baffle out. use a De-burring tool,( looks like a little pine cone shaped file made of high speed steel or maybe carbide available at most tool stores. at must have in any garage.) hook that up to your air tool or drill and deburr the rest of the material from the back plate (always keep the tool moving around the pipe as this makes it eaiser to keep it from jumping around on high and low spots) this tool will allow you to take it as close to the innerwall of the pipe as you feel is safe.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I don't think they changed the pipe. When i did the job it had the gatlin gun baffles with one more pipe on the outside of the gatlin gun pipes. The bottom baffle is different then the top one. The bottom one is tacked in. the top just slid out. All i did was crush the baffle as i pulled it out.

I could be wrong about the changing of the baffles.

You guys got me taring my old smashed pipes apart to check it out...lol Just learned how to send pic from my cell phone so i'll be taking some pic as i do it.

Its not going to be hard to do being there smashed and i'll use the torches. I could be getting old and can't remember it was so long ago..lol. 07 i think it was.

Even if they changed the baffles they would have to have the isolation in the top pipe. When you restricted air flow it will get hot on the passengers feet.

I grow up on bikes and never had a forum to ask Q. So learning on my own was the way i grew up. I don't mined proving myself wrong or right. I'll type in bold black caped letters stating i'm wrong if so..lol.

I see lots of silly things going on in the forum so i'll check for myself. Don't bash me for being me.[SIZE]

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I thought this pipe would " slide out " no it is freaking welded everywhere inside u have to beat an beat and beat and with a couple beers and a few bad words u finally get it out. But I left the very back plate in and it is very loud with the plate still there sounds awesome

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
yellow you mean the front or first baffle yu left in correct?
she so fine. they might have changed in 08 and by the way thanks for getting me started on this. between you and robert I had sucess and was able to help a couple of others. No Insulation in the pipe, Im thinking there is a double wall that is insulated.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have an 08 r2, I just finished gutting my exhaust by removeing the last baffle yesterday. I originally started by just drilling the end plate baffle, which improved the sound. Then I removed the endplate and the 1st inner baffle, the sound was good, only loud when your the power was on or when you snapped the throttle. Yesterday I was organizing my tool box and came across my Tie Rod remover (and thought to myself)(Chisle shapped) I wonder if this would reach the 2nd inner baffle on my exhaust? Before I new it, I was bangin away at the baffle plate (3 welds around the circumforance), took awile, but I finally got them out. It turns out, that was the last baffle. I now have completely gutted pipes with the exception of the fiberglass layer behind the perforated sleeve. How does it sound you ask? AWESOME!!! Idle is tollerable, even 3000 RPM with no load isn't going to make the neighbors hate you, But if you SNAP the throttle or get on it under load, it's LOUD and DEEP with a great deceleration pop. I havn't heard to many Harleys that are louder.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
View attachment 19599

View attachment 19600

Just cut the top pipe so everybody can see how the top pipe is made.
There are no tacks on the top pipe. After you cut the end in about a 1/2" from the weld, you can pull the baffle out. And yes the bottom one has two rings holding the two center pipe in place. The bottom baffle is two peaces.

AFelix All thats left on the top one is the pipe that is part of the baffle. If you get it out the two pipes will be the same size. Not that it matter much, I think.

Is does sound nice huh?

OK, Hope the pics work.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
View attachment 19599

View attachment 19600

Just cut the top pipe so everybody can see how the top pipe is made.
There are no tacks on the top pipe. What your looking at is the front of the baffle and the insulation. You can see the sleeve where the baffle slides on to. After you cut the end, you can pull the baffle out. And yes the bottom one has two rings holding the two center pipe in place. The bottom baffle is two peaces.

AFelix All thats left on the top one is the sleeve that is part of the baffle. If you get it out and get the insulation out the two pipes will be the same size. Not that it matter much, I think.

Is does sound nice huh?

OK, Hope the pics work.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
yellow you mean the front or first baffle yu left in correct?
she so fine. they might have changed in 08 and by the way thanks for getting me started on this. between you and robert I had sucess and was able to help a couple of others. No Insulation in the pipe, Im thinking there is a double wall that is insulated.
I think if they did the gatlin gun to them it would still be with in the sleeve that is part of the baffle. The top one you guys are still inside the sleeve and the insulation. lol. Your almost there. :joke:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts