M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had a set of Roadhouse slip-ons ordered since 5/26.......backordered. I got impatient and decided to try and gut out my stockers. I am really glad I did and MIGHT even cancel my slip-on order!

I used a 3inch hole saw to remove the endcap/back plate and then used a long screw driver and hammer to chisel the mounting points inside the pipe.....there are three in both the top and bottom pipes. After that I used an extension and a uni-bit (tapers up to 1/2 inch) and drilled 4 holes in the plate of the next baffle. I left the baffle in to keep some backpressure (SET and CAT are still there, too.)

The result is BAD TO THE BONE! Much louder and a very deep tone! I have a PC III and it actually feels like the bike is a bit MORE responsive :dontknow:.

Thanks to Rockfordrider for words of encouragement/help. :bigthumbsup:

This is what it looked like after the 3 inch hole saw:

This is what it looks like after breaking the metal mounts inside the pipe:

This is what came out of the pipe:

Here is a video of what it sounds like after drilling the extra holes in the next baffle wall. On my computer speakers, it sounds pretty close to "in person":

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
That's almost what the Bigshots sound like.:doorag:

It's the CAT that I have a problem with....not on a motorcycle for me. Seems like I also heard a little SET valve squeal....;):D:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
What did you use as a guide to keep the 3" hole saw centered to cut? The top end cap is angled so please do tell. I drilled my baffles over the weekend but would like more sound.

Do you need a tuner for this.

·
Registered
877 Posts
its deep:bigthumbsup:...is it just me or the way the camera is angled make ur tire n bike look thinner...:dontknow:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What did you use as a guide to keep the 3" hole saw centered to cut?
I didn't use anything as a guide; just good ole' muscle power!

I have a Power Commander on my bike as I have aftermarket air intakes too. If you only do the pipe mod, you are probably OK. Your bike will let you know; if it starts bogging/hesitating, then you need more fuel.

its deep:bigthumbsup:...is it just me or the way the camera is angled make ur tire n bike look thinner...:dontknow:
Well this past weekend, my 9 mainly feasted on sport bikes. I guess I got to let her eat something with a little more weight to it like HD baggers LOL. I am running a Metz 260.

sweet! love the sound Bobby! :bigthumbsup: Now just gotta cut them down shorter... ;) Get busy bro! :D
Thanks, bro. :doorag:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
sounds familar! nice video im going to figure out how to do that stuff some day. Now get out there and set off some car alarms.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds good exactly what i did to mine except I got rid of the cat and left the set. Sounds like a vtwin sportbike around 3500-4000 rpm I love it no need for aftermarket pipes. Plus Im like you i like the look of the stock pipes .

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
That's almost what the Bigshots sound like.:doorag:

It's the CAT that I have a problem with....not on a motorcycle for me. Seems like I also heard a little SET valve squeal....;):D:bigthumbsup:
I agree! I was surprised to hear that the Bigshots sound the same as stock but much louder, deeper and growlier (if thats a word) Not tinny sounding at all :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
sound super good man. if i had to start over again that is probably what i would do for pipes.

whats the bike with the blue wheel?? GSXR??

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Sounds good Bob. Looking forward to hearing them in person soon. If I like it I may have to do the same thing on mine. I was wondering if it would be possible to tach weld black wire mesh (like on the Ducks Covers) to the end of the pipes so it covers up the gutted/jagged metal in there :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
it should just turn black over time and you will never see it.

id think anyway.:dontknow: thats how my roadburners were.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Sounds good Bob. Looking forward to hearing them in person soon. If I like it I may have to do the same thing on mine. I was wondering if it would be possible to tach weld black wire mesh (like on the Ducks Covers) to the end of the pipes so it covers up the gutted/jagged metal in there :dontknow:
use a de-burring tool to grind to the ID of the pipe so it is a clean shot all the way in.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sound super good man.
whats the bike with the blue wheel?? GSXR??
Thanks for the compliment and you have a very good eye. Yes, that is my GSXR 600.....man, you guys don't miss anything!! :eek:

thought you would have already done that by now
I really wasn't hating the sound of the stockers but I ordered those slip-ons over 2 months ago and by gosh, I was going to get some more sound one way or the other! :doorag:

I may get the Roadhouse anyway just to shave some weight off from the heavy stockers.

use a de-burring tool to grind to the ID of the pipe so it is a clean shot all the way in.
Yup...that will be my next step. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,047 Posts
Sounds great Bobby! If it weren't for the extra weight I would have kept mine like that. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

What did you use as a guide to keep the 3" hole saw centered to cut? The top end cap is angled so please do tell. I drilled my baffles over the weekend but would like more sound.

Big-B, you can use two hole saws to keep it centered. Put a 1 1/4" hole saw on along with the 3". The 1 1/4" goes inside the center pipe to keep the 3" hole saw centered.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Sounds great Bobby! If it weren't for the extra weight I would have kept mine like that. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

Big-B, you can use two hole saws to keep it centered. Put a 1 1/4" hole saw on along with the 3". The 1 1/4" goes inside the center pipe to keep the 3" hole saw centered.
Excellent tip Zoom. Thanks!!:bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts