M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These Chin spoilers are small. The paint is expensive. The smallest quantity of paint that can be purchased is enough to spray half a car.
My spoiler is the volume of a football and about $300 (three step) in paint material seems to be wasteful.
I dont want to store a lot of extra Candy Sonoma Red paint and the clear kit.
I`m thinking of a group paint deal.
I am a painter, done it since the 70s. You guys owning an 07 Candy Sonoma Red bike,what do you think about sending me your spoilers and chip in with the cost of the paint?
I`m not totally sure about the hassle VS savings but I thought I would throw this out there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Your paint guy sucks, you should be able to buy it by half pints at least. I have bought it by 4 oz before. Do some more looking around with suppliers. No reason they cant sell it to you at a smaller amount. If it wasnt for shipping hazardous materials I would sell you 4ozs.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your paint guy sucks, you should be able to buy it by half pints at least. I have bought it by 4 oz before. Do some more looking around with suppliers. No reason they cant sell it to you at a smaller amount. If it wasnt for shipping hazardous materials I would sell you 4ozs.
Ok. I will keep looking. Thank you. There are PPG dealers everywhere.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Ok. I will keep looking. Thank you. There are PPG dealers everywhere.
Take in a piece of the plastic and have them computer scan it. Rynosback had them do his headlight and you could not tell it wasn't factory color. Throw in that and the fact that this is in a hidden place that has shadows casting on it, you probably would never tell it wasn't factory paint if you have it close enough.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Take in a piece of the plastic and have them computer scan it. Rynosback had them do his headlight and you could not tell it wasn't factory color. Throw in that and the fact that this is in a hidden place that has shadows casting on it, you probably would never tell it wasn't factory paint if you have it close enough.
Yes that can work too, but those paint cameras will read a color different between two different ones , but it still might nail it. Those cameras are about a 50/50 chance. I have one in my shop. Being how the chin is butted up to the shroud you want that color be dead on or it will bug the hell out of you looking at the mis match. well it would me anyway.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
Would it really be worth the shipping back and forth? I had a local paint shop paint the chrome piece in my headlight bucket for $75.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would it really be worth the shipping back and forth? I had a local paint shop paint the chrome piece in my headlight bucket for $75.
I`m still looking into how this could be good for everyone.
Red is a three stage job so a little base, a little tinted clear,and clear adds up. For $75 Id sent it away to a shop if they can do a great job

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I`m still looking into how this could be good for everyone.
Red is a three stage job so a little base, a little tinted clear,and clear adds up. For $75 Id sent it away to a shop if they can do a great job
I hear NEMOS speed and paint shop does good work, LOL

notttttttttttttttt

·
Registered
226 Posts
3 in 07 , 2 in 08, 2 in 09, thats how many 3 stage colors that are on the m109. I know I know, useless info:D

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
3 in 07 , 2 in 08, 2 in 09, thats how many 3 stage colors that are on the m109. I know I know, useless info:D
What da hell ya talkin Willis????? lol

·
Registered
226 Posts
What da hell ya talkin Willis????? lol
Damn it , keep up :joke: that's how many colors that suzuki used on the m109s that are a 3 stage paint in each year. 3 stage paint means you have a base color and a mid coat and then clear coat. how many coats of mid coat determines what your final color looks like. So to try to match that you have to do a so called let down panel. you spray a panel with your base color, let it dry, mask it in sections , then put one coat of mid coat on, unmask a section, spray another coat over all the exposed panel, unmask another section, then spray mid coat over all the panel . Then when that flashes , spray your panel with clearcoat. Now you have a let down panel that has 1,2,and 3 coats of mid coat. hold it up to the bike and you now can decide how many coats of mid coat it will take to achieve the proper color. This is the only way you can match a 3 stage paint without the help of an Acquire,Acquire rx, Profit, or the Chromavision (color camera that scans colors and then generates a paint formula)
If you do match it in another way You are a lucky sob:D

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Damn it , keep up :joke: that's how many colors that suzuki used on the m109s that are a 3 stage paint in each year. 3 stage paint means you have a base color and a mid coat and then clear coat. how many coats of mid coat determines what your final color looks like. So to try to match that you have to do a so called let down panel. you spray a panel with your base color, let it dry, mask it in sections , then put one coat of mid coat on, unmask a section, spray another coat over all the exposed panel, unmask another section, then spray mid coat over all the panel . Then when that flashes , spray your panel with clearcoat. Now you have a let down panel that has 1,2,and 3 coats of mid coat. hold it up to the bike and you now can decide how many coats of mid coat it will take to achieve the proper color. This is the only way you can match a 3 stage paint without the help of an Acquire,Acquire rx, Profit, or the Chromavision (color camera that scans colors and then generates a paint formula)
If you do match it in another way You are a lucky sob:D
Damnit where ya been,,,,,,,,,,:joke: I was just being me haaaaaaa I know the painting process,,,,,,,Ain't no pro, but i can make paint stick, and Daling!!!! It looks Mavolousssssss

EDIT,,,,,,,,,, and with your great process explanation, Jason can do this himself, He is pretty good, With painting 787's but this small piece should be a no brainier.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Damnit where ya been,,,,,,,,,,:joke: I was just being me haaaaaaa I know the painting process,,,,,,,Ain't no pro, but i can make paint stick, and Daling!!!! It looks Mavolousssssss
:doh: damn , I was out of breath after that , and it's just wasted :swear::a20:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
:doh: damn , I was out of breath after that , and it's just wasted :swear::a20:
I am laughing ma A$$ off, thanks for the laughs, That felt:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup: good.........

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
Get it close, then paint the chin spoiler and blend it a little up the radiator surround. I've had to do that to get parts to match, and it's better than having a sharp cutoff on something that is just slightly off in color.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Get it close, then paint the chin spoiler and blend it a little up the radiator surround. I've had to do that to get parts to match, and it's better than having a sharp cutoff on something that is just slightly off in color.
I told him/them that in pms only way to go, and it appears perfect

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Not to jack your thread Jason, But it is raining so damn hard it knocked out my satellite> HOLY CRAP< man da lifeboats......

·
Registered
445 Posts
PPG carries formulas for our bikes. All you have to do is go into your local PPG supplier and tell them your paint code and how much you want. A half pint should do it. I have even got 1 oz touch up bottles from them for when the bike was LE Blue and it matched perfect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts