M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already made up my mind on the Cobra Speedster slash cut pipes. :a18: The question is how many other people also like those pipes and would be interested in getting involved in a group buy?

They are due in June and I wanted to get an idea before I order my own.

-Chad

ps- Lamonster---you convinced me to go with the Cobra's ( even though you got the dragsters) they sounded sweet !

·
Registered
93 Posts
SPEEDSTACK,  do you have pictures.. what do they look like.. i think i had some on my vtx if their the same pipe.. I AM IN :bigthumbsup:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
I gave you the wrong info Bro. :redfaced: Hal only has the Dragsters right now. I don't think Cobra has shipped anything else. Sorry about that. :redfaced: :redfaced:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well at any rate, I'm going to put my order in through him so I can be first in line. I'll have to call tomorrow to find out more.

thanks

-Chad

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is anyone concerned about any possible performance losses with an aftermarket pipe?
I know the factory pipe has the variable butterfly valve to control back pressure.
How have the aftermarket pipes like Cobra's been performing?

K9

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
CruzK9 said:
Is anyone concerned about any possible performance losses with an aftermarket pipe?
I know the factory pipe has the variable butterfly valve to control back pressure.
How have the aftermarket pipes like Cobra's been performing?

K9
Yes, pretty much all of us are, that's why I'm going to dyno each pipe we get so you will can decide if it's the right pipe fr you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a set of hard crome coming design by matt hotch and i think that if you put a set of singles on you are not going to get the hp that you are lookin for rather than a two into one you will need the back pressure of a two into one

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had a set of the speedster pipes on my aero and they were very high qaulity. They are double walled so they will not turn blue at the jugs. Also they now come with a life time warranty!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a D & D slip on for my R6 and it was LOUD !! It probably lost some power down low, but I didn't care because I loved the fact that it was so loud. So with that said, as long as the new pipes let the engine run fine, I don't mind losing a few horses for sound quality...

-Chad

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for all the inputs. I went through two sets of pipes on my 03 Vulcan 1600. I first had the HardKrome 3" Big Straights. Really loved the look but they were way to loud for my everyday driving. I'm on my bike pretty much daily, I average 1000-1100 miles a month, and although I'm not against loud pipes, when they give ME a headache, its time to change. I finally settled on the Roadhouse Classic 2 into 1. I really liked the sound, not too loud but a great low rumble. Of course, the V1600 didn't have the hi-tech exhaust valve the 109 has so I'm a little leery about aftermarket pipes. Can't wait to see/read comments from Lamonster as he tests out different pipes.

K9

·
Registered
240 Posts
There's nothing hi-tech about the exhaust valve, it's a way to pass emmisions tests, on a one thousand CC inline 4 cylinder that redlines at 11,500rpm it can be useful, on a 1800cc V twin it's a total waste.
It sucks having to wait for an exhaust that can really get the power out of this motor but it's coming, my temporary plan is to grab the sideburner as it now looks like we'll see it in june, and run that until muzzy is ready to start shipping their pipe. I will need to match that up with some intakes, either the thunder tornados or lamont's creations and tune the package with the teka on an eddy current, the number I get wont really be important, a high 10 second run with a jockey would be.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i don't know omega, it's not just there to pass emissions...in fact i don't see how it would help emissions. our stockers are very large in diameter. at low rpms, there's just not enough exhaust output to pressurize that much volume. that's what they are there for.

G

·
If guys are up to a group buy I can put one together if we can get enough people on board. Let me know what items you are looking to do.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I thought the Cobra pipes kept the SET valve and wouldn't affect the low end power? Also, aftermarket pipes will give you that extra power up top and you won't even remember what you may or may not lose down low. Just remember, there will also be a weight reduction along with any aftermarket system that will most likely negate the loss of low end punch (if there will be any).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts