M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I picked these up last week and have yet to install them. The new mechanic at the dealership, who I really can't stand, told me he would need my bike overnight to install them because the grip glue has to dry. I had grips installed there before while I waited...this is the same :edit: guy that told me I couldn't put a M109R rear rim on an M90.

Anyways...I know there are a bunch of threads about grip installation, and I've read them and watched the video links. My concern is the throttle and getting the cables back on without messing something up I cannot fix. Fairly easy process or should I take the bike in?

·
Registered
284 Posts
if you can do it yourself go for it DEALERS SUCK

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you can get your old throttle grip off yourself, you can install your new grip with no problems.

You can do it yourself in less than 20 mins.

If you need to glue your clutch side ( left grip ) I would recommend a really good glue. I use loctite super glue!

Are they XOProdox Grips?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are they XOProdox Grips?
Yup, they came with a small tube of Loctite too...which I was told I can't use. I'm pretty confident I can get the throttle grip off. I'm good at taking things apart, it's the putting things back together I have problems with :D

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yup, they came with a small tube of Loctite too...which I was told I can't use. I'm pretty confident I can get the throttle grip off. I'm good at taking things apart, it's the putting things back together I have problems with :D
I have XOProdox grips on my bike right now and I didnt use glue for the clutch side grip. If your grips are like mine, there are two set screws that you screw down to hold it against your bars. I just used regular blue loctite on those set screws and my grips are hold on pretty strong.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Brother, do what I do... Keep a bucket next to you while putting things together and then sell the extra on ebay for some extra cash!:joke::joke:

I just saw pictures of your grips installed! They look great!:congrats:
How do they feel after riding for a long time?
H

·
Registered
743 Posts
Well, after a little more work than I expected I got the grips on. Unfortunately my Kuryakyn ISO grips didn't survive...

so when you say your iso grips didnt survive you had to pull the grips of the throttle tube? you can get them all ready on a throttle tube so all you do is swap them over they do look good

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so when you say your iso grips didnt survive you had to pull the grips of the throttle tube? you can get them all ready on a throttle tube so all you do is swap them over they do look good
The clutch side grip was the real problem. When I had the ISO grips installed at the dealership, the a:edit:hat used so much glue that the entire rubber part of the grip looked like it melted onto the bar.

I tried spraying WD-40 in there, but in the end it came down to a rubber mallet a screw driver and brute force. After the first piece of the grip broke off I pretty much made up my mind to break the rest to get the grip off. Nice thing about these grips are the small set screws used to hold them on. I left a little bit of the rubber pieces still on the bar and tapped the new grip on (over the pieces) with the rubber mallet...holds better than glue and if I ever decide to get different grips they will come off with minimal effort.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The clutch side grip was the real problem. When I had the ISO grips installed at the dealership, the a:edit:hat used so much glue that the entire rubber part of the grip looked like it melted onto the bar.

I tried spraying WD-40 in there, but in the end it came down to a rubber mallet a screw driver and brute force. After the first piece of the grip broke off I pretty much made up my mind to break the rest to get the grip off. Nice thing about these grips are the small set screws used to hold them on. I left a little bit of the rubber pieces still on the bar and tapped the new grip on (over the pieces) with the rubber mallet...holds better than glue and if I ever decide to get different grips they will come off with minimal effort.
thats a bugger i often change my grips over and can reuse my iso and iso flame grips i have changed them about 4 times now thats the best thing about doing it yourself

·
Registered
586 Posts
Smooth vibrationz

Just got back from one as a matter of fact! Extremely comfortable...I actually prefer them to the ISO grips.
Hey, I was wondering.... do you get a lot of vibration or slippage being that there is no cusion/grip on those all metal grips?
Oh! By the way... those grips look DOPE!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts