M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry but cant find a how to remove stock grips. Can someone help please?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Just cut them lengthwise with a utility knife and they peel right off. Save the chrome end caps, that are a freebie chrome cap for your back axle....

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
If you have strong hands, you can grab the clutch side and just rock it back and forth. Eventually it will give and come off. The other side you need to undo the screws to the switch housing so you can take the cables off. Turn the adjuster on the cable so it loosens up and it will help.

When putting back on, do the throttle side first. Then, to do the clutch lever side, clean the bar really good. I used wd40 and a razor blade to remove the few piece of rubber. You do this side second so you can line the grip up to match the throttle side.

G

·
If you have strong hands, you can grab the clutch side and just rock it back and forth. Eventually it will give and come off. The other side you need to undo the screws to the switch housing so you can take the cables off. Turn the adjuster on the cable so it loosens up and it will help.

When putting back on, do the throttle side first. Then, to do the clutch lever side, clean the bar really good. I used wd40 and a razor blade to remove the few piece of rubber. You do this side second so you can line the grip up to match the throttle side.
Yep, that's the first question I asked myself, hmmm, I wonder if the throttle lined up with the clutch side, since throttle only goes on one way! Great minds think alike!

Gonna do this on my ZX-7 soon, it's time for new grips after 16 years of life!
Hardest part is going to be getting the bar end screws off, they are phillips head and loctited on! May need an impact.

·
Registered
51 Posts
STOCK GRIPS

I take that you are replacing the stock grips with an aftermarket product. The clutch side is very easy. Remove end cap, cut length wise shoot little bit of lubricant under the slit, and pry with a screw drive and twist. It will come right off.

The easiest way to do the throttle side would be to do the same process as above however, you want to cut the grip off the throttle sleeve and leave the sleeve on the bar, this way you do not have to disconnect the throttle cables.. (They can be B**** to get back in place).. If your NEW Throttle Grip comes with a throttle sleeve in it, remove it from the Grip to glue and insert rite over the factory grip. If not then glue and insert over the factory grip.

Hope this Helps!

·
Registered
427 Posts
The chrome end caps are also good for the key mod.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
I take that you are replacing the stock grips with an aftermarket product. The clutch side is very easy. Remove end cap, cut length wise shoot little bit of lubricant under the slit, and pry with a screw drive and twist. It will come right off.

The easiest way to do the throttle side would be to do the same process as above however, you want to cut the grip off the throttle sleeve and leave the sleeve on the bar, this way you do not have to disconnect the throttle cables.. (They can be B**** to get back in place).. If your NEW Throttle Grip comes with a throttle sleeve in it, remove it from the Grip to glue and insert rite over the factory grip. If not then glue and insert over the factory grip.

Hope this Helps!
I got my stock grips off without damaging them. Little wd40 under the clutch side. I didn't think it was hard to pull the throttle grip removing the cables and putting them back in the new grip. Just have to take your time, don't force anything and don't let it frustrate you. And now I have my stock grips should I ever need a spare set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
use a air nozzle ,with a air compressor of course.you can take them off with out damaging them.I use air to put the new ones on also.I don't use any glue,works great.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hope this Helps!
I ordered the ISO grips.I didn't think it would be so hard. Guess I'll take it to a shop before i jack it all up

·
Registered
643 Posts
dont pay a shop to do them, we can do it at my place

the garage isn't heated and i wont have time til after the holidays BUT there is no reason to pay someone a shop to do it

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dont pay a shop to do them, we can do it at my place

the garage isn't heated and i wont have time til after the holidays BUT there is no reason to pay someone a shop to do it
Ok thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
This video, I think, will be the greatest help for me. I'll be doing this install this weekend.
I was a little timid as I never work on my truck. But with all the info on this site, it was very easy. I took a little longer than these guys do, but end result is the same :) I've also done some other mods that I never ever would have had the balls for, but (again) this site makes them all soo easy to do. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
use a air nozzle ,with a air compressor of course.you can take them off with out damaging them.I use air to put the new ones on also.I don't use any glue,works great.
I would kind of advise against this!! First time you are riding a long distance in the rain and if enough rain or water gets under the grips.....make a right hand turn and that grip could roll right off! If you don't want to run it with glue, then fine, but I wouldn't necessarily be giving that advice.:-\

·
Registered
758 Posts
You don't have to cut neither one. The right side (throttle) comes off once you unhook the throttle cables. The left side , spray some wd-40 inside grip and rock it . It will come off and as some one already mention here , the caps can be used for axle nut covers. (rear axle).:doorag::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
If you have strong hands, you can grab the clutch side and just rock it back and forth. Eventually it will give and come off.
You'll go blind doing that!!!:eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts