M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my KY-6235 Universal Iso Grips tonight and since the weather is nasty I was going to install them.

In the throttle grip there was a small plastic tube 1.5" long and 1" in Diameter............ Where does this go ?. I haven't pulled the old one's off yet so maybe it will make sense then but if anyone can help me out I would feel better cutting off the old ones.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have the patience of a 3 year old so I went out and started taking things apart. I couldn't find anyplace to use it so I sat it on the shelf hoping one of you would say the same.

I'm waiting for the gorilla glue to dry but they look MUCH better and the throttle feels much nicer.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Felix T Cat said:
Thanks, I have the patience of a 3 year old so I went out and started taking things apart. I couldn't find anyplace to use it so I sat it on the shelf hoping one of you would say the same.

I'm waiting for the gorilla glue to dry but they look MUCH better and the throttle feels much nicer.
Felix: That plastic ferrel goes in you G file :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I've been seriously considering the same.... I see them a lot on HDs for some reason... I've talked to a few people and they swear by them , are they that nice?
I hear the grip is more comfortable....you may have the tendancy to squeeze the black rubbers on the grip...is this so ?

Is the silver real chrome or is it plastic...the end caps as weLL ?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
it's chrome. the rubber parts are spongy, and seem to get softer as they break in. they are pretty comfortable, especially with gloves.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not had a chance to ride with them yet but just sitting on the bike in the garage (raining outside) they are much better then the stock grips. They are a bit larger then the stock grips so if you have smaller hands it may lead to problems reaching the clutch. Not an issue for me but I thought I would mention it.
I'm sure the first ride will tell the whole story but so far they are well worth it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
phaed said:
it's chrome. the rubber parts are spongy, and seem to get softer as they break in. they are pretty comfortable, especially with gloves.
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Looks good. Works good.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've always said they were the best mod I made to my Mean Streak.
My new grips ge.
Are the std grips easy to cut off?
Does the chrome end just come off first?t fitted tomorrow

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
someone here made a video of how to take off and put on the new grips. do a search.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Installed the iso grips last night, took about 45 minutes start to finish. Start on the throttle handle first as that side is the fixed side for the rotation of the grip.
Loosen the throttle cable, take out the 2 screws that hold the control module in place and remove the rear return cable first. After that the other cable basically falls out. Install the new grip, setting the forward cable in place first and then set the rear cable in place. Reinstall the controller screws with a little blue thread lock and then readjust the throttle cable. I would also start the bike to make sure you have not tightened the throttle cable to much causing the bike to rev.

Once you have finished the throttle grip, pop off the left bar end (it's only a plastic piece held in place by friction) then slip a long thin flat head screw driver under the grip and work the old grip off. The plastic ring by the headlamp switch will slid right off. Take some 200-300 grit sand paper and remove all the left over glue and to roughen up the handle bar for better glue adhesion.

I found the the little sleeve that fits inside the left grip needs to be cut at 3/16" to 1/4" in length and then inserted into the end of the grip. Test fit the grip to make sure you have it set in the correct position. I aligned the grip to match the throttle grip and place a piece of tape on the headlight controller as a reference when I put the grip on permanently. Wipe off the handle bar with alcohol and then apply the glue supplied with the grip. Start to slide the new grip onto the handle bar and don't stop rotating and pushing the grip until you are satisfied with it's position. Once you stop pushing/rotating the glue will set up almost immediately.

Good luck and enjoy the new feeling. A great improvement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts