M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...got my Kury's from Direct Line today and ran out to do the install. Clutch side was gravy. Went to do the throttle side and found that one of the screws on the controle module is WAAAAY too tight and I stripped it. It happened to someone else too. Question is, can I still install the grip? If not, how can I get the stripped screw out? This really pissed me off...I followed these instructions:
http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=823.msg33245#msg33245

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All I could think of would be to use a larger size Phillips head or an Eazy Out. A tool designed for stripped heads. It actually cuts into the head to give you a better grip. Sears has them. Or if you have a pair of needle nose vise grips, that may work. Not sure if you can get a grip (no pun intended).

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had a similar problem with a hex bolt on my old VStar and took it to my dealer because I had tried everything including that Bob Vila type removal bit thingy. My dealer ended up taking a dremmel and carefully cutting a straight channel in the bolt and then took it off with a big flat head screw driver. Hope this idea helps.

-Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This whole install was doomed from the get go.

1) Screw was stripped. Worked around that by removing the throttle cable first, then it all just fell apart.
2) Started to rain so I had to go into the dimly lit garage, where it was conveniently 102 degrees.
3) Managed to get the brake side cable back into the sleeve, but could not and still cannot get the driver side into the sleeve.
4) 3 year old daughter came out into the garage and wanted to know what every little thing in there was, so I gave up for tonight.
5)In my haste, I installed the clutch side first, now the grips won't line up the same on each side. I am a ^$#@&*% idiot.
6) Reminded myself to pay the $35 and let the dealer do it next time.
7) Did I mention that I was a ^$#@&*% idiot?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your not an idiot. I put them on two bikes before someone said to me, "You really should put the throttle side on first and then line up the clutch side". Then I looked at them and went DAAAAAA. I think you did the best thing. Walk away. Tomorrow is another day and maybe tomorrow things will go better.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Get an Easy Out. Will make short work of removing the stripped screw. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Had the same problem.  Took the Dremel cutting disc, cut a slit in it for a BIG regular screwdriver and it came right out.

This idiot did the clutch side first to because it was getting late and just wanted to finish one side. So happened they lined up perfect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put these on last night, What a B#&%h! I never thought I would get both throttle cables reconnected at the same time. I had one VERY tight screw also, got lucky tho and didn't strip it. I put the brake side one in first, the rider side one was much easier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, got this fiasco all finished up. Luckily I was able to bust the clutch side grip loose so I could match it up with the throttle side. Now, where do I get this Gorilla Glue that everyone talks about on here?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts