M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pushing my 9 up the driveway and noticed that the left Kuryakyn ISO grip was loose. I gave it a good twist and it broke free completely. I pulled it off the bar and it appeared that the adhesive simply deteriorated. The grip was rock solid for two years. I can't figure out what happened. What adhesive should I use to reattach the grip? I disposed of the glue that came with the grips after I initially installed them Has this happened to anyone else. Any suggestions

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
glue

Everyone has their preference for grip glue. I like Gollila Glue. It takes overnight to set up (tape the grip in place where you want it), and it expands so if you use too much it comes out the end, but it really holds tight. You can cut off any excess with a razor blade.. That grip ain't gonna come loose again. I don't trust those "instant glues".
Nothing like a grip coming off in your hand going around a corner to make your day.:eek:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gorilla Glue, I actually thought of using it but I was a little concerned about the expansion issue. I agree with you though, It would most likely hold forever.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Gorilla Glue, I actually thought of using it but I was a little concerned about the expansion issue. I agree with you though, It would most likely hold forever.
I have the same prob with my ISO grip, what happens if you use gorilla and you need to get the grip off down the road?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
yellow weatherstrip adhesive works.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Is this something I would get from Lowe's or Home Depot?
Yeah they would have it..

Edit,,,,,,,,, come to think of it, I think I bought mine at an auto parts store, Has been a while ago, and that tube as lasted pretty well LL

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Had the same problem with the glue that came with the grips. Went to Gorilla glue two years ago and never had another problem.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Had the same problem with the glue that came with the grips. Went to Gorilla glue two years ago and never had another problem.
Yeah that monkey snot is pretty good lol

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
Everyone has their preference for grip glue. I like Gollila Glue. It takes overnight to set up (tape the grip in place where you want it), and it expands so if you use too much it comes out the end, but it really holds tight. You can cut off any excess with a razor blade.. That grip ain't gonna come loose again. I don't trust those "instant glues".
Nothing like a grip coming off in your hand going around a corner to make your day.:eek:
That is the way to go. I have installed a couple of local members bikes with that glue. No one has had any issues.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have the same prob with my ISO grip, what happens if you use gorilla and you need to get the grip off down the road?
You can still break it loose. Just takes a strong 2-handed grip/twist. But it holds great for everyday use.

When I changed out my grips last month, just gave it a good 2-handed twist to break it loose, cleaned up the bar with a green scotch pad, reapplied the Gorilla Glue and slipped the new grip on. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can still break it loose. Just takes a strong 2-handed grip/twist. But it holds great for everyday use.

When I changed out my grips last month, just gave it a good 2-handed twist to break it loose, cleaned up the bar with a green scotch pad, reapplied the Gorilla Glue and slipped the new grip on. :bigthumbsup:
Sounds like the way to go. Got several jars of it on hand. Thanks guys.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
I use Gorilla Glue on mine as well. I just put a small bead of it inside the grip and twist it while shoving it on to spread the glue.

I've taken mine off later and it came off just as MarlboroLts said. A good twist on it and it starts breaking loose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts